Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Lanley II

The 2020 football offseason thread

We've obviously reached the offseason a lot faster than we would've preferred.

My big questions as we head into the 9-month void:

1. What, if any, changes will we see to the coaching staff?

2. What are the chances that Jalen Reagor and/or Ross Blacklock return for their senior campaigns?

3. At what positions do we need immediate help?

4. What younger players will be playing a larger role next year?

• Like (+1) 1

I think Cumbie will be out as OC, but doesn't mean he won't be on staff. I'd like to see us being in an experienced OC.

Reagor - 5% chance of staying

Blacklock - 25% chance of staying

D-line

Barber, Tomlinson, Winters, Foster, Washington (finally, a ball hawk on defense)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shenanigans said:

I think Cumbie will be out as OC, but doesn't mean he won't be on staff. I'd like to see us being in an experienced OC.

Reagor - 5% chance of staying

Blacklock - 25% chance of staying

D-line

Barber, Tomlinson, Winters, Foster, Washington (finally, a ball hawk on defense)

Barber is a very exciting player.  Love watching him

I'd say first thing is Coach Patterson needs to have his medical and training staffs conduct a thorough review of all injuries the past two years to determine if there was any way of preventing them. We may need changes to the training regimen or the practice drills, but we will never have a successful season if half the team is crippled in August.

Not just Cumbie, none of the offensive coaches produced much this season.

Don't think Reagor has ever considered being more than a three-year college player. I'm sure Blacklock will ask for the NFL evaluation. My guess is he will be projected 3rd-4th round and he will come back, but who knows.

No question immediate help is needed on  the offensive line. Maybe cornerback if some injured guys don't recover, maybe defensive end but  I think Mathis and Ellison should be pretty good next year. Maybe outside receiver if we don't get any more out  of Barkley and Hunt than this year.

Areas of improvement for TCU:

(Rusty Burns) outside receivers coach

(Jarrett Anderson) OL coach 

I felt like most of the offensive issues involved receivers not catching the ball and OL not blocking long enough. 

5 minutes ago, Black-it-out-Frog! said:

Areas of improvement for TCU:

(Rusty Burns) outside receivers coach

(Jarrett Anderson) OL coach 

I felt like most of the offensive issues involved receivers not catching the ball and OL not blocking long enough. 

I do agree that those areas need improvement, however...

Jarrett Anderson hasn’t coached OL since 2017, he was moved to Inside Receivers, Chris Thomsen is the current OL Coach.  

Rusty Burns became an offensive analyst at the beginning of this season with Malcolm Kelly taking over Outside Receivers. 

https://gofrogs.com/sports/football/coaches

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

My issue with the OL - we keep putting a ton of guys into the NFL, so we clearly have a high level of talent...but yet we never have a dominant OL.

13 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

My issue with the OL - we keep putting a ton of guys into the NFL, so we clearly have a high level of talent...but yet we never have a dominant OL.

Losing Niang this season was big. Without looking at the numbers I bet the offense was better when he was in there...

I've been a Cumbie defender because I think that he's been trying to please GP by slowing down the offense and he's been hamstrung by rookie QB's two seasons in a row but after the WVU game, I kind of feel like it might be time for him to go and get someone in whose core offensive philosophy is more in tune with GP's ideal of a ball control time of possession offense.  It might be time to quit trying to put a round peg in a square hole and let Sonny go some place where he can sink or swim doing it his way.  That said, I kind of feel like GP is going to keep Sonny around, at least as a QB coach, because he's so good at recruiting. 

FWIW, I sat across from GP and Kelsey at the bar at B&B on Saturday night, kicking off the off-season.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't think Cole Bunce was introduced with the seniors Saturday. He should have a redshirt season to use, if he did not play in more than 4 games this year. He could be back to compete with Griffin Kell for the kicking job.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, hopefully Reagor can buck the trend of TCU WRs that like to declare early to play in the NFL (or RB, for that matter).

• Like (+1) 3

Potential immediate help at DE?

Former Frog Isaiah Chambers, who'd transferred to Houston in order to be closer to home because of a family situation, has entered the transfer portal.  He had six sacks for the Cougars as a redshirt junior this fall.  I'm guessing he'll be a grad transfer, and thus eligible for one more year immediately.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

17 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Reagor is gone. 😔

Get paid. ✌️

The longer Big Ross goes without declaring the better odds he stays. Hopefully a Banagou/ Collier type of situation. 12 more months being the difference between $1-$2MM or $10MM+. I think I'd take an insurance policy out and go back for 1 more and boost my draft stock.

• Upvote (+1) 2

TCU WR Jalen Reagor (junior)

It was a trying season for Reagor and the Horned Frogs, who had an inconsistent passing game and finished 5-7, but the wideout announced his intention to enter the 2020 NFL draft. Reagor saw his receiving yards drop (from 1,061 in 2018 to 611 this season) as well as his TD grabs (from nine to five) with freshman QB Max Duggan taking over. But the book on Reagor is that the 5-11, 195-pound speedster remains extremely dangerous and could be a possible late first-round pick. The son of former NFL defensive tackle Montae Reagor is expected to be a huge tester at the NFL scouting combine, possible breaking the 4.3-second mark in the 40-yard dash. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-2020-nfl-draft-underclassmen-tracker-193054374.html?src=rss

18 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

TCU WR Jalen Reagor (junior)

It was a trying season for Reagor and the Horned Frogs, who had an inconsistent passing game and finished 5-7, but the wideout announced his intention to enter the 2020 NFL draft. Reagor saw his receiving yards drop (from 1,061 in 2018 to 611 this season) as well as his TD grabs (from nine to five) with freshman QB Max Duggan taking over. But the book on Reagor is that the 5-11, 195-pound speedster remains extremely dangerous and could be a possible late first-round pick. The son of former NFL defensive tackle Montae Reagor is expected to be a huge tester at the NFL scouting combine, possible breaking the 4.3-second mark in the 40-yard dash. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-2020-nfl-draft-underclassmen-tracker-193054374.html?src=rss

Reading this sounds like a good move.  I hope he hits the training hard and kills it at the combines.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, $mooth said:

Reading this sounds like a good move.  I hope he hits the training hard and kills it at the combines.

He's got nothing left to prove at the college level, I totally get it.

Any more news on Big Ross? when do guys have to declare?