Sign in to follow this  
Senor Ballistico

TCU +3½ @ Iowa St

To me, this is a key game that will determine whether we're going to have a successful season.  A W will position us well for the meat of the schedule - undefeated in conference and 4-1.  A L could send us reeling...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agree. This is a big game.

We’ve looked totally dominant in 2 games this year. We really haven’t had dominant games like them since 2015. Or is this a middling team like it looked in the other two games this year. I think this game will tell a lot. 

The wounded Horned Frogs, going by what I have observed. I have no inside information.

#2 Mikel Barkley  dressed out but did not play against KU

#2 Kee'yon Stewart  missed KU with an undisclosed injury, status for return unknown

#3 Donavann Collins  not dressed, has not been seen this season

#4 Taye Barber  dressed but did not play

#10 Mike Collins  recovered and played against KU

#13 Justin Rogers  dressed but did not play. Reportedly at least 90% healthy, but has a lot to learn as a QB. Working with scout team.

#18 Ben Wilson  did not dress. Projected return perhaps for Kansas State or Texas.

#18 Matthew Baldwin  did not dress. 

#20 Lakendrick Van Zandt  recovered, started against KU

#21 Noah Daniels  out for the season

#22 Michael Onyemaobi  Did not dress. Now more than 13 months from his injury and no word of a possible return. 

#23 Tony Wallace  dressed and warmed up but did not play

#24 Julius Lewis  dressed and warmed up but did not play

#26 Vernon Scott  recovered and started against KU

#29 Tommy Armstrong  out for the season

#37 Cole Bunce  reportedly now available for kickoffs with the wind where he can force a touchback. Directed to avoid contact. 

#41 Brandon Bowen  not dressed. possible return in November.

#43 Izaih Filikitonga  Dressed and played according to the notoriously unreliable participation report. I did not see him on the field.

#47 Jacoby Simpson  not sure if he has been injured, but he saw his first action of the year, playing special teams

#53 John Lanz  out for the season

#60 Nate Guyton  not dressed

#66 Ian Burnette  out for the season

#73 Blake Hickey  not dressed

#77 Lucas Niang    Started but left early. Reportedly will play through his injury for the rest of the year

#78 Wes Harris  recovered and played against KU

#80 Al'Dontre Davis  did not dress

#87 TreVontae Hights  did not dress, but not wearing his boot

#93 George Ellis  dressed but did not play

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Burner said:

The wounded Horned Frogs, going by what I have observed. I have no inside information.

#2 Mikel Barkley  dressed out but did not play against KU

#2 Kee'yon Stewart  missed KU with an undisclosed injury, status for return unknown

#3 Donavann Collins  not dressed, has not been seen this season

#4 Taye Barber  dressed but did not play

#10 Mike Collins  recovered and played against KU

#13 Justin Rogers  dressed but did not play. Reportedly at least 90% healthy, but has a lot to learn as a QB. Working with scout team.

#18 Ben Wilson  did not dress. Projected return perhaps for Kansas State or Texas.

#18 Matthew Baldwin  did not dress. 

#20 Lakendrick Van Zandt  recovered, started against KU

#21 Noah Daniels  out for the season

#22 Michael Onyemaobi  Did not dress. Now more than 13 months from his injury and no word of a possible return. 

#23 Tony Wallace  dressed and warmed up but did not play

#24 Julius Lewis  dressed and warmed up but did not play

#26 Vernon Scott  recovered and started against KU

#29 Tommy Armstrong  out for the season

#37 Cole Bunce  reportedly now available for kickoffs with the wind where he can force a touchback. Directed to avoid contact. 

#41 Brandon Bowen  not dressed. possible return in November.

#43 Izaih Filikitonga  Dressed and played according to the notoriously unreliable participation report. I did not see him on the field.

#47 Jacoby Simpson  not sure if he has been injured, but he saw his first action of the year, playing special teams

#53 John Lanz  out for the season

#60 Nate Guyton  not dressed

#66 Ian Burnette  out for the season

#73 Blake Hickey  not dressed

#77 Lucas Niang    Started but left early. Reportedly will play through his injury for the rest of the year

#78 Wes Harris  recovered and played against KU

#80 Al'Dontre Davis  did not dress

#87 TreVontae Hights  did not dress, but not wearing his boot

#93 George Ellis  dressed but did not play

Damn that is way too long of a list

1 hour ago, Burner said:

37 Cole Bunce  reportedly now available for kickoffs with the wind where he can force a touchback. Directed to avoid contact. 

Cold Bunz did all the KOs in the first half and part of the second against KU.

3 hours ago, TCaliU said:

Damn that is way too long of a list

I've sometimes wondered if Gary's injury rates, especially from practice, are significantly higher than that seen by other coaches. Don't know of any database to analyze to check on this, though. It does seem to be a consistent problem. Or does it? Am I hallucinating? (Certainly a possibility now that I've lost 75 pounds while putting on significant muscle mass over the past 15 months.)

Just now, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I've sometimes wondered if Gary's injury rates, especially from practice, are significantly higher than that seen by other coaches. Don't know of any database to analyze to check on this, though. It does seem to be a consistent problem. Or does it?

I'm wondering if the Listenbee lawsuit has had an effect on playing guys who are hurt. 

Iowa State info.

17th in total offense and 38th in scoring offense largely due to putting 72 points and 714 yds on UL-M.  Take that game out and averaging about 430 yds and 22 pts per game against Iowa (great defense), Baylor (good statistically but only played very crappy offenses like Rice and UTSA so far) and N. Iowa ( a good FCS team).  They don't run the ball very well ranking 76th but are 7th in passing. 

45th in scoring defense and 52nd in ypg.  They've played a good scoring offense in Baylor (although like I said above, Baylor has played a crappy schedule), a very mediocre offense in Iowa and a fairly bad one in UL-M.  Holding Baylor to 23 at home was a pretty decent day but Rice held the Bears to 21 so maybe it wasn't great. 

Their rushing defense will be the key to the game in my opinion because running the ball is our biggest strength.  We are 8th in the nation in rushing offense (5th if you take out the triple option academies).  ISU is 36th in rush defense but held Baylor and Iowa to about half their season averages.  I think if we can continue to run the ball well, we will win the ballgame.  Their offense doesn't scare me that much. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Iowa State info.

17th in total offense and 38th in scoring offense largely due to putting 72 points and 714 yds on UL-M.  Take that game out and averaging about 430 yds and 22 pts per game against Iowa (great defense), Baylor (good statistically but only played very crappy offenses like Rice and UTSA so far) and N. Iowa ( a good FCS team).  They don't run the ball very well ranking 76th but are 7th in passing. 

45th in scoring defense and 52nd in ypg.  They've played a good scoring offense in Baylor (although like I said above, Baylor has played a crappy schedule), a very mediocre offense in Iowa and a fairly bad one in UL-M.  Holding Baylor to 23 at home was a pretty decent day but Rice held the Bears to 21 so maybe it wasn't great. 

Their rushing defense will be the key to the game in my opinion because running the ball is our biggest strength.  We are 8th in the nation in rushing offense (5th if you take out the triple option academies).  ISU is 36th in rush defense but held Baylor and Iowa to about half their season averages.  I think if we can continue to run the ball well, we will win the ballgame.  Their offense doesn't scare me that much. 

I watched most of the ISU/ BayLOL game and the cyclones looked very pedestrian. Didn't move the ball that well and seemed to lack play makers on offense. Though you could say the same for us against SMU.

I can see us covering the spread comfortably. Going to say TCU 38, ISU 21

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, angelosfrog said:

I'm wondering if the Listenbee lawsuit has had an effect on playing guys who are hurt. 

Madison is one guy in particular I've wondered about in much the same way.

Temps in the high 50's low 60's and at least a 50% chance of rain for most of the game.  Real grass at Jack Trice too.  It could be an old fashioned slug fest of a game. 

9 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Temps in the high 50's low 60's and at least a 50% chance of rain for most of the game.  Real grass at Jack Trice too.  It could be an old fashioned slug fest of a game. 

Sounds like fantastic football weather

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I've sometimes wondered if Gary's injury rates, especially from practice, are significantly higher than that seen by other coaches. Don't know of any database to analyze to check on this, though. It does seem to be a consistent problem. Or does it? Am I hallucinating? (Certainly a possibility now that I've lost 75 pounds while putting on significant muscle mass over the past 15 months.)

I'd like to think that every other team has the same list of walking wounded. Purdue has a long list RN...

8 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

I'd like to think that every other team has the same list of walking wounded. Purdue has a long list RN...

It may be confirmation bias, but it seems more consistent sometimes here.

Looking at the weather forecast.  61 degrees and wet for Saturday in Iowa.  Not sure if that will help or hurt.  Our D should have a good day with it, but the Frog offense may be better off not attempting to pass much.  Also need to practice not fumbling a wet football.

1 minute ago, TCaliU said:

Some stats on the matchup

So DUSHEE isn't the only model that has both teams ranked insanely high.  DUSHEE is more insane, though ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

they are doing a really nice job on these game clips.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2