Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

2019 Coaching Carousel

Starting off early...

Rutgers fires Ash after 8 wins in 3-plus seasons

Rutgers has fired coach Chris Ash after the Scarlet Knights' 1-3 start, the school announced Sunday.

"We appreciate Chris' dedicated efforts on behalf of our football program, our department and our university," athletic director Pat Hobbs said in a statement.

Tight ends coach Nunzio Campanile will serve as the interim head coach for the remainder of 2019. Campanile is in his second year on Rutgers' staff after serving as head coach of in-state powerhouse Bergen Catholic High School.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27728272/rutgers-fires-ash-8-wins-3-plus-seasons

Les trying to save his butt...

Kansas fires offensive coordinator Koenning after 6 games

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Les Miles was fired by LSU in part because his offenses failed to score enough points.

He doesn't want the same thing to happen at Kansas.

So midway through an ugly first season with the Jayhawks, one marked by vast improvement on defense but more problems on offense, Miles announced Sunday that he had fired coordinator Les Koenning.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-fires-offensive-coordinator-koenning-6-games-222213724--ncaaf.html?src=rss

ALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State fired coach Willie Taggart on Sunday, ending his tenure with the Seminoles after only 21 games.

Under Taggart, the Seminoles showed little to no progress, and an embarrassing 27-10 loss to rival Miami on Saturday made it clear to administrators they had to make a change. Florida State dropped to 4-5 and needs wins in two of its final three games just to get back to bowl eligibility.

In Year 1 last season, Florida State failed to make a bowl game for the first time since 1981.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27999505/florida-state-fires-willie-taggart

• Upvote (+1) 1

Chad Morris fired by Arkansas.  What a dumbass!  If he had stayed at SMU, he could have enjoyed this season and then parlayed that into a better job if he wanted.  But Arkansas, shorn of their Texas recruiting is a death knell for coaches now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jared said:

Chad Morris fired by Arkansas.  What a dumbass!  If he had stayed at SMU, he could have enjoyed this season and then parlayed that into a better job if he wanted.  But Arkansas, shorn of their Texas recruiting is a death knell for coaches now.

From your lips to God’s ear. 

• Like (+1) 1

Calling it now...Andy Dalton, TCU OC/QB Coach!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Calling it now...Andy Dalton, TCU OC/QB Coach!

I hope not yet.  He's got another 2-3 good years before he should hang up his cleats.  

• Like (+1) 1

Here's what I'm hearing from Razorback fans in regard to their priority:

1) Somehow convince Malzahn to leave Auburn and come "home"

2) Norvell.

I think #1 is a longshot.  While Malzahn is perpetually on the hot seat at Auburn, I find it hard to imagine them letting him walk away to an in-division rival.  #2 is a much safer bet, unless Norvell gets offered a lot more money by a higher-profiled program.  I think he'd be a good fit in Fayetteville, but then again, I thought Morris would be so who knows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, $mooth said:

I hope not yet.  He's got another 2-3 good years before he should hang up his cleats.  

You'll notice I didn't say when...

54 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I thought Morris would be so who knows.

I thought the same. I still think he could have been, but he was hindered by two problems. The first was he walked in to a roster full of Bret's players and trying to fit them into his system was like attempting to drive a square peg into a much smaller round hole. The second being that I don't think Bret's recruiting was good the last couple of classes.

Add a delusional fanbase and fire happy AD that think they can go from a history of sucking in the SEC to National Champions overnight just because they were something way back when they were in the SWC, and I suspect they will be the bottom feeder of the SEC West for a long time.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Here's what I'm hearing from Razorback fans in regard to their priority:

1) Somehow convince Malzahn to leave Auburn and come "home"

2) Norvell.

I think #1 is a longshot.  While Malzahn is perpetually on the hot seat at Auburn, I find it hard to imagine them letting him walk away to an in-division rival.  #2 is a much safer bet, unless Norvell gets offered a lot more money by a higher-profiled program.  I think he'd be a good fit in Fayetteville, but then again, I thought Morris would be so who knows.

FSU is a much better job.  I bet Norvell winds up there unless Malzahn bolts from Auburn and takes the FSU job.  Eli Drinkwitz at App St is another possibility for the Hogs. 

FSU is certainly higher-profile, but Norvell has ties to Arkansas (the state, not necessarily the University), so that might factor into the equation for him.

Drinkwitz is interesting - certainly a rising star, but not yet with the skins on the wall that U of A might want/need in this hiring cycle.

11 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Dalton will be in Chicago next season...

I was thinking Tampa Bay, but Chicago is definitely an option.

On 11/11/2019 at 12:12 PM, Lyle Lanley II said:

FSU is certainly higher-profile, but Norvell has ties to Arkansas (the state, not necessarily the University), so that might factor into the equation for him.

Drinkwitz is interesting - certainly a rising star, but not yet with the skins on the wall that U of A might want/need in this hiring cycle.

I just think FSU is probably choice #1 for either one of those guys.  Easier to recruit to and less competition in-conference.  I'm not sure which one FSU will go after but I think they get whoever their first choice is and it will be one of those 2 guys.  

9 hours ago, shenanigans said:

I was thinking Tampa Bay, but Chicago is definitely an option.

I based my guess purely on the fact that Chicago does not have a first round pick. TB does...

Bears will go WR at 42 ladies...

Fire Cumbie! Max is gonna kill in the Schultz short-side option offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bob Davie out at New Mexico

Davie and athletic director Eddie Nunez announced a day earlier that the former Notre Dame coach will step down after Saturday's game against Utah State, calling it a mutual decision.

Davie is 35-63 in his eighth season at New Mexico, though he twice guided the Lobos to bowl games and earned New Mexico's first bowl victory in 10 years. New Mexico is 2-9 this season and has lost its past eight games.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28171053/bob-davie-lobos-players-address-end-new-mexico-reign

• Thanks (+1) 1