Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Tennis 2019-2020

Alastair will be competing in the singles and he and Jacob will also team up in the doubles.  I thought it was going to be in New York, but it will instead be on the other side of the country in Newport Beach, California and it starts this weekend.  Ali is currently ranked 18th by the ITA and he qualified because he made the Round of 16 at the ITA Texas Regionals 2 weeks ago (even though the results couldn't be found in real time while that tourney was ongoing).  I guess Ali and Jacob went deep enough in the doubles to qualify as well.   9 Big 12 players will be in the singles; 7 Big 12 doubles teams will be there too.

Tomas Jirousek lost in Prague this morning to Peter Makk  6-3, 3-6, 6-7 (4-7) in a marathon match lasting nearly 3 hours.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Reese Stalder is in Malibu, where he got through the qualies but lost to Brandon Holt (USC, son of Tracy Austin) 4 and 1 in the first round of the main draw. He's also in the doubles tournament with Felix Corwin (Minnesota). They're playing the Johnsons right now and just took the first set, 7-5.

Nick Chappell and Gerardo Lopez Villasenor both won first-round matches in Cancun. Nick and doubles partner Rai Ajeet also play tomorrow.

Update: Reese and Felix defeated SMU's brothers Johnson, who were the tournament 2-seeds, 7-5, 1-6, 10-8!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

In Cancun this morning, both Nick (ATP# 571) and Jerry (#544) won their singles matches - Nick went 1 and 2 over Skyler Butts (ATP# 1235) and Gerardo won 3 and 2 over Mateus Alves (#851).  So they've both advanced there.  Nick is also teaming with Ajeet Rai in doubles.  In Malibu, Widow (#1159) is teaming with Felix Corwin in doubles and they will face Altamirano/Song later today.

The ITA Nationals start today and Alastair Gray and Jacob Fearnley will play MTSU's Slump/Moti (the Ohio Valley ITA Regional champs) in the first round this afternoon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At Newport Beach in the ITA Nationals, Gray and Fearnley lost in doubles today to Aubone/Hannestad in a hotly-contested match 6-2, 6-7 (1-7), 9-11, so that's it for the Frogs in doubles there.  Ali, however, is still alive in singles and he'll play tomorrow (presumably) although I can't figure out who his opponent will be as yet.

At Cancun, Nick Chappell and Ajeet Rai retired in doubles after trailing 1-2 in the first set.  Not sure why.  But Nick is scheduled to play in the singles tomorrow against  Zane Khan (ATP#1279).  And Gerardo Lopez Villasenor will play Joao Lucas Reis di Silva (ATP#607).  Both are in the quarters.

And in Malibu, Widow and Felix Corwin won their doubles match against Altamirano/Song 2 and 3.  They will now play Redlicki/Rapp tomorrow - also in the quarters.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The early results from Cancun are in for this morning and both Nick Chappell and Jerry Lopez won their singles matches and have advanced to the semis.  Gerardo won easily; 2 and 3 over Reis di Silva.  For Nick, it was a lot tougher against Khan (who, as everyone knows, was/will be Kirk's greatest adversary after being awakened on the Botany Bay after being placed in suspended animation following the 21st century Eugenics Wars) - Nick started slowly and lost the first set 4-6, but came back to win 7-5 (fighting from down a break and breaking in the final game at love), and 6-3 in the 3rd. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I got it wrong (or they reported it wrong this morning) - Lopez lost to Reis di Silva and did not advance in Cancun.  So Nick will play Reis di Silva tomorrow morning in the semis.  Sorry!  Also, Widow and Corwin lost in the semis today in doubles at Malibu.  So, still alive going into the weekend are Chappell in Cancun in the semis (which is a very good performance) and Gray in the ITA Nationals at Newport Beach.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Nick lost in the semis yesterday to Reis di Silva 7-5, 1-6, 3-6, but another semis performance will give him some more ATP points.  So far, this is Nick's best pro season ever since he graduated.  I'm guessing Alastair lost at Newport Beach but I can't find the results anywhere.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Questions for you:

1- Is the 10 man roster for tennis the limit in the NCAA? 

2- When you post these scores, they look like they're from all over the place. 

2- Does the entire 10 man team travel to these locations?   

3- Does women's tennis follow the same rules as the mens?

4-  Are these tournaments (match ups?) registered in standings somewhere?

5- Since I have so little to do these days, what's a good way for a rookie to follow TCU tennis?

6- Thank you!  🙂    

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks PD!   Do they have standings to look at?    I want to learn but I am starting with zero knowledge. 

Jared posts stuff I really don't understand other than my favorite post from him, "Frogs WIN!"  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Senor Ballistico said:

Thanks PD!   Do they have standings to look at?    I want to learn but I am starting with zero knowledge. 

Jared posts stuff I really don't understand other than my favorite post from him, "Frogs WIN!"  

I don't understand even half of what Jared posts, so you're not alone. lol

I think they usually post standings from the matches they play in on the Twitter accounts.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

Questions for you:

1- Is the 10 man roster for tennis the limit in the NCAA? 

2- When you post these scores, they look like they're from all over the place. 

2- Does the entire 10 man team travel to these locations?   

3- Does women's tennis follow the same rules as the mens?

4-  Are these tournaments (match ups?) registered in standings somewhere?

5- Since I have so little to do these days, what's a good way for a rookie to follow TCU tennis?

6- Thank you!  🙂    

There is no limit on the number of roster players; there is, however, a limit on the number of scholarships that may be awarded.  For the men, it is 4.5 full scholarships, which are rarely offered in full and are instead usually given partially (and then can be combined with academic or other types of scholarships and grants and loans).  For the women, the limit is 8 full scholarships.  I post scores from wherever the tournaments are and they are from all over the planet.  Tennis is an international sport and future Frogs, current Frogs and former Frogs play in tourneys that span the globe.  The entire roster rarely travels in full; in the Fall, the players are eligible to play in pro tourneys and they pick and choose where they want to play (college-only amateur events or pro) depending on a wide variety of factors, including cost, available prize money, location and the level of tournament it is (Transition; Futures. Challengers; ATP-level events).  There are variances between the women's and men's games but they are mostly the same and the differences could be the subject of a much longer post.  During the fall, there are no "standings;" just rankings.  In the Spring, when team competition begins, there are standings in each conference and overall.  The best TCU tennis coverage anywhere is on the Froghorn and in this thread because it synthesizes all of the multitudinous sources that cover things partially.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Jared said:

For the men, it is 4.5 full scholarships,

I don't understand this. What is the definition of "full" and how can there be half a "full scholarship"?

8 hours ago, Jared said:

The best TCU tennis coverage anywhere is on the Froghorn

I'll raise a glass to this. Thanks, Jared, for all the effort! 🍻

• Upvote (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I don't understand this. What is the definition of "full" and how can there be half a "full scholarship"?

Football and basketball players receive full scholarships covering all tuition, room and board.  A partial scholarship only covers part of that.  Unless you're Cam Norrie, though, college tennis players rarely receive full scholarships because of the scholie limitations.

There are no standings in the Fall - that only starts in the Spring.  The ITA preseason rankings won't come out until January but the TCU team has generally been picked about 10th in the nation so far by the various prognosticators for the Spring season..  We made the Elite 8 last year.  The defending national champion is Texas; we'll probably be picked to finish 3rd in the Big12.  Our Spring schedule is listed on the first page of this thread - it'll be a tough one.  Here are the current individual singles rankings for the Frogs:

Cameron Norrie - 54th best player in the world.

Alex Rybakov - 531.  May be in Champaign-Urbana for the Challenger this week.

Gerardo Lopez Villasenor - 544.

Nick Chappell - 571 (will be in Houston this week - he's playing Sebastian Fanselow (ATP#394) this afternoon).

Tomas Jirousek - 774 (will be in Milovice, Czechia this week  - he's playing Petr Hajek (ATP#994) tomorrow morning).

Tadeas Paroulek - 785

Alastair Gray - 1076

Reese Stalder - 1159

Jacob Fearnley - 1323

Eduardo Roldan - 1799

Bertus Kruger - NR

Luc Fomba - NR

Sander Jong - NR

Juan Martin - NR

Max Kurzban- NR

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Hey Jared - what are Cam's chances to qualify for the Olympics next year?

He needs to be in the Top 56 on June 8, 2020, he needs to have been nominated for the British Davis Cup team twice between 2016-2010, he needs to be in the Top 6 of all British men players and the Brits are limited to 4 total men players and he needs to be in good standing with the Olympic Committee. He's 54th currently, he's already been on the British Davis Cup team twice and he's #2 of all male Brits right now.  I'd say the chances are good so long as he stays ranked high enough. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Feeling Froggy said:

In my search for other things this morning, I came across these...

(Ad-block mandatory! Via Zunox)

Nick Chappell vs Sebastian Fanselow Stream

Jirousek/Krumich vs Langmajer/Lustig Stream

Indeed.  It's been a back-and-forth match throughout.  Nick took the first set 6-1, lost the 2nd 3-6, and then has been down all 3rd set, but he just saved 5 match points to break back and even the 3rd set at 5-all.

6-5!  Nick takes his first lead in the 3rd set.  But if he doesn't break again, it's headed to a deciding breaker.

6-all.  Nick had 2 match points, but Fanselow saves them and it goes to the breaker.

FROGS WIN!!  In a huge comeback after saving 5 match points, Nick Chappell takes the breaker 7-6 and wins 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5) and advances in Houston!!  This is a big win over the #394 player!

In Milovice, Jirousek lost his doubles match, but his singles opening rounder will be early tomorrow morning against Hajek.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Tomas Jirousek lost to Petr Hajek 6-2, 3-6, 3-6 earlier this morning in Milovice.  And Nick Chappell is currently losing to Pedja Krstin in Houston - he lost the first set 1-6 and is now serving first in the 2nd.

Nick stormed back to win the 2nd set 6-1 and they're now in the 3rd, with Chappell trailing 1-3.  Krstin is ranked #238, so Nick is not favored. 

Nick falls 1-6 in the 3rd set.  Still, making the Round of 16 in an ATP-level event is a good result for him.

• Thanks (+1) 1