Sign in to follow this  
angelosfrog

Way too Early Purdue Game Thread

I'm not sure what to think about this game.  Moore scares me bu they have problems on the O-line and the defense could be pretty suspect as well.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2019/8/19/20803903/2019-purdue-football-preview-five-questions

1) Who is your most important player on offense this season?

I am going to cheat and say it is a unit, that being the offensive line. Matt McCann and Grant Hermanns, when healthy, will be just fine. Viktor Beach and whoever wins the offensive guard spots will be huge. I’d be lying if I said this was not a major concern coming into the year, and the reports coming out of camp aren’t promising. Moore is going to be Moore. Keep Elijah Sindelar upright and he’ll be fine. The runnings backs will be fine. We have an embarrassment of riches in young talent at receiver and an NFL caliber tight end with Brycen Hopkins. The line, however, is a major concern.

2) Who is your most important player on defense this season?

True freshman George Karlaftis. It is a lot of of pressure to put on such a young player, but Purdue could really benefit from a Moore-like debut by big George. He is one of the most highly touted recruits in Purdue history and we really need him to provide a consistent pass rush. If he has the same impact on the defense that Moore had offensively last season it will be a huge boost tot he team as a whole. Purdue’s pass rush sucked last year and as a result the Boilers kept getting beat deep. Karlaftis can change a lot of that in a hurry by consistently causing havoc in the backfield.

3) What should be the biggest change between last year and this year?

An influx of young talent and depth. Last year Purdue’s defensive starters were decent, but there was virtually no depth behind them. When we were missing three starters in the bowl game against Auburn that turned an already tough matchup into a rout of epic proportions.

Many of the starters are back, but there is a solid youth movement behind them. Karlaftis, Marvin Grant, Steven Faucheux, Cam Allen, Nyles Beverly, Dontay Hunter, Jalen Graham... These are all guys that will challenge immediately for playing time as true freshmen. Just having some actual depth will be huge going forward.

4) What is the most important game on this schedule, and why?

The opener at Nevada. Purdue is 0-2 in openers under Brohm with narrow losses that came down to the final minutes in both. It is a long road trip and this team absolutely must take care of business in this game. It is important to build confidence for the rest of the season and have a win in our back pocket with tough home non-conference games against Vanderbilt and TCU following it. Beating the Wolf Pack opens the door for an excellent start and maybe 4-0. Another loss in an opener could be a tad demoralizing because Nevada, at least on paper, is one of our weaker opponents. It is not quite the 2015 opener when Hazell bet everything on the opener at Marshall and it resulted in a 10-point loss before a 2-10 season, but it is a pretty big game.

5) What is your prediction for W/L record and postseason destination?

Personally, I think we win 7-8 games and go to a fairly decent bowl game. The schedule is tough, but it is far from overwhelming. All seven home games are very winnable and I can see us winning at Nevada, plus grabbing a game at Iowa or Northwestern. I think it is an important season that builds toward a big 2020 year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Projected starting RB Tario Fuller was injured in practice last week and could be out a while.  However, KIng Dorue, a freshman from Amarillo that we recruited but never offered might surprise a lot of people.  He took Amarillo Tascosa farther in the playoffs last season than any team from Amarillo has been in decades.  

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-boilermakers-football-tario-fuller-suffers-significant-injury

I'm sure Gary is scheming against Moore, so he really doesn't scare me. He might get his yards, but Gary has a history of being able to get the right personnel and groupings to limit the damage. It really comes down to whether Purdue has enough talent to go along with Moore to impact the game. I remember TEs or RBs out of the backfield that had big games because teh defense was trying to take option 1 and 2 out of the ballgame. Should be an interesting chess match. Moore is the real deal.

3 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

I'm sure Gary is scheming against Moore, so he really doesn't scare me. He might get his yards, but Gary has a history of being able to get the right personnel and groupings to limit the damage. It really comes down to whether Purdue has enough talent to go along with Moore to impact the game. I remember TEs or RBs out of the backfield that had big games because teh defense was trying to take option 1 and 2 out of the ballgame. Should be an interesting chess match. Moore is the real deal.

I think he will put Julius Lewis in at a safety spot to cover Moore in the slot.  That would leave us with a freshman at corner after Daniels' injury but I'll take it.   

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Looks like they will have decent experience at offensive tackle but almost none up the middle on the O-line.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2019/8/6/20757099/purdue-football-its-all-about-the-big-boys-offensive-line

An inexperienced line against a GP defense is not ideal. Way too many stunts and slants from the big guys with speed will make it easier get pressure on the QB with only 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, angelosfrog said:

I think he will put Julius Lewis in at a safety spot to cover Moore in the slot.  That would leave us with a freshman at corner after Daniels' injury but I'll take it.   

I was thinking about corner play, do we see a lot of one on one match-ups in Gary's system. Meaning does the field and boundary corner switch based on personnel? I'm thinking historically that has not happened too often.

39 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

I was thinking about corner play, do we see a lot of one on one match-ups in Gary's system. Meaning does the field and boundary corner switch based on personnel? I'm thinking historically that has not happened too often.

I agree with you.  I don't recall seeing him do that.  I'm not saying he may not have done with Verrett at some point in time but I sure don't remember it.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, TCaliU said:

Anyone else going to this game?

Was thinking about it but have to travel to Charleston the next weekend for a bridal shower.  

Looks like TCU Purdue will be on BTN.  Will you guys get that game?  

42 minutes ago, gofrogs152 said:

Looks like TCU Purdue will be on BTN.  Will you guys get that game?  

Yep.  It's on the Dish package that I pay way too much for.  I did call and battle through being on hold the other day and got $25/mo knocked off the bill.  I had to commit to sticking around for another 2 years though.  My internet just isn't reliable enough.  Upgrading my 10 year old wifi router might help but I still have the underlying issue with Spectrum going out intermittently. 

I’ve got the B10 network on PlayStation Vue so we should be good. 

Kinda sucks that we basically still have 3.5 weeks until the real season starts. 

I'm looking forward to this game.  I am feeling optimistic about this year so far, and I think this game is winnable 65-70% of the time.  I am looking at two areas to help decide the game TCU's D line vs their O line.  If successful, that can put their QB on his heels most of the game and close down their pass game.  The second part will be the Purdue tight end.  I don't worry about one guy beating TCU, as in their all star receiver, but when someone like a tight end steps up and we have no answer. (and with TEs we rarely do)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly. I think we win by something in the 17-20 range. Something like 31-13. They don’t have the horses to keep up with us. 

4 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Honestly. I think we win by something in the 17-20 range. Something like 31-13. They don’t have the horses to keep up with us. 

Kinda my thought, but about 3-4 more points per team.

Watching them against Nevada leads me to conclude that we better focus on Rondale Moore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder what Nevada did differently in the second half to shut him down?   Epic kick to win the game by Nevada’s freshman kicker by the way.   

On 8/19/2019 at 2:24 PM, TCaliU said:

Anyone else going to this game?

EA571CB30EAA41F99D04.gif

• Like (+1) 3

I may revise after watching Purdue against Vanderbilt this weekend, but as of now I'm thinking:

-Duggan starts

-We clean up a lot (but not all) of our self-inflicted errors on offense

-Moore burns us a few times

-DL mostly dominates, but we have a few mix-ups by LBs that lead to big plays from Purdue WR/RBs other than Moore

-We get good Darius, who scores one of his signature nail-in-the-coffin TDs to seal a 31-21 win

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I may revise after watching Purdue against Vanderbilt this weekend, but as of now I'm thinking:

-Duggan starts

-We clean up a lot (but not all) of our self-inflicted errors on offense

-Moore burns us a few times

-DL mostly dominates, but we have a few mix-ups by LBs that lead to big plays from Purdue WR/RBs other than Moore

-We get good Darius, who scores one of his signature nail-in-the-coffin TDs to seal a 31-21 win

I bet Delton starts again just due to him being elusive on the ground.

• Upvote (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TCaliU said:

Should be a good test for our secondary

3 of those 5 guys lost.

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

3 of those 5 guys lost.

True but those yards + us always being susceptible/beat by the deep ball worries me.