Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TCU vs. ARK Pine Bluff Thread

Recommended Posts

Definitely didn’t meet expectations. Line was 55 and S&P+ has us as +72. This was a terrible FCS team last year- one of the worst. Biggest disappointment for me was that we didn’t control the line of scrimmage like I expected. Maybe they are much improved there, but I doubt it. I heard that we really like our OL this year going 10 deep but I wonder now if it is just 10 shallow with no one separating themselves. 

 

Both QBs looked capable but not great. Duggan made better throws but looks small and will be no run threat. Delton was strong in the running game but definitely more inaccurate throwing, although he did have a couple of bad drops. I know the sentiment is that Duggan is the better QB, but two scramble plays stuck in my mind. One, Duggan looked uncomfortable under duress with the ball awkwardly slipping out of his hands for an almost fumble. The other Delton was under pressure, escaping outside the box, and able to look downfield and find a guy for a first down. Bottom line is we are going to need both guys and both have things to work on. 

 

Tough to say say much about the D. Looked strong over all but I also thought didn’t dominate the line like I expected. Gave up over 200 yards with a few breakdowns. Should be a strong D though.  

 

Not sure what I think about the bye week. On the one hand we have a lot to work on and can get healthy early. On the other if Ark-PB is so bad we could be surprised the step up in speed and strength against Purdue. 

  • Upvote (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I need to do some ritual sacrifice to dispel the bad juju that seems to have been plaguing the offenses of both my college and pro teams.  Gonna paddle out in the kayak some time this week and give some sort of sacrifice to the Bay gods to see if that changes our offensive fortunes.  I think the Ravens gnome is going to be sacrificed.....not sure what the TCU offer will be.  Perhaps my clearly no longer lucky earrings.  

 

Time for a change.

 

#ItsOnlyWeirdIfItDoesntWork

  • Haha  (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

 

Same. Fragrant and Ethiopian. 

Vlade's in da house!!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Change your vineyard, @gofrogs152. A new Pinot is warranted.

 

OK now, let's not get crazy.....

  • Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

Definitely didn’t meet expectations. Line was 55 and S&P+ has us as +72. This was a terrible FCS team last year- one of the worst. Biggest disappointment for me was that we didn’t control the line of scrimmage like I expected. Maybe they are much improved there, but I doubt it. I heard that we really like our OL this year going 10 deep but I wonder now if it is just 10 shallow with no one separating themselves. 

 

Both QBs looked capable but not great. Duggan made better throws but looks small and will be no run threat. Delton was strong in the running game but definitely more inaccurate throwing, although he did have a couple of bad drops. I know the sentiment is that Duggan is the better QB, but two scramble plays stuck in my mind. One, Duggan looked uncomfortable under duress with the ball awkwardly slipping out of his hands for an almost fumble. The other Delton was under pressure, escaping outside the box, and able to look downfield and find a guy for a first down. Bottom line is we are going to need both guys and both have things to work on. 

 

Tough to say say much about the D. Looked strong over all but I also thought didn’t dominate the line like I expected. Gave up over 200 yards with a few breakdowns. Should be a strong D though.  

 

Not sure what I think about the bye week. On the one hand we have a lot to work on and can get healthy early. On the other if Ark-PB is so bad we could be surprised the step up in speed and strength against Purdue. 

 

Max does look small. He’s young. But he doesn’t have a thick build at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

 

Max does look small. He’s young. But he doesn’t have a thick build at all. 

 

He broke an arm tackle on that TD run though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

A few random thoughts from the game:

1) New jumbotron look pretty nice

2) Did not like the visiting band being stuck up in the top deck corner, seemed inconsiderate.

3) Showgirls were as expected, also the flag girls walked by on the way in to stadium and they had many that were cute, more girl next door than the showgirls.  The exception being the one with the beard, as apparently TCU has one flag guy wearing the tights.

4) Duggan over Delton with Delton being in for the short yard goal line plays

5) East side expansion should be nice when finished.  Expect it to look nice on TV as well.

6) Rif Ram audio SUCKED, LAME, ETC (LJ Collier give em hell was cool)

7) Game day in stadium music sucked too.  The band did not play at all (neither one) except half time, they just piped in music through the speakers.  Though I did like Old Town Road being played from the new Rambo movie coming out.

You can thank UT for where they put our band last season, stems from that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

 

Max does look small. He’s young. But he doesn’t have a thick build at all. 

 

His current build and throwing motion remind me of Drew Brees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My observations on the first game:

 

The Frog fanbase sucks. Crowd was small, not very loud, and almost everyone left before the game was over.

The new video board is terrific. Very clear picture, on replays you can actually see what happened. Sound seemed to be improved too.

I like the shiny silver numbers and letters on these uniforms.

UAPB is an OK FCS opponent. They brought their band and a decent number of fans.

I scored a free Dr. Pepper for promising not to drink alcohol, which I don't do anyway. Sweet.

I really didn't see very many people drinking beer in the stadium. Then, there weren't very many people in the stadium. Did I mention the Frog fanbase sucks?

Not surprisingly, the second-half sing-along was an epic fail.

Praises be, the Rif-Ram video went back to the successful style of two years ago. L.J. Collier gave the closing line.

I guess our kickers are going to be OK.

The fans who have been upset with Coach Cumbie for constantly rotating receivers should be pleased, as we did little of that. The starters played the vast majority of snaps.

There seemed to be a gameplan of not throwing too much to Jalen Reagor. Several plays he looked wide open but the QB was looking the other way. TreVontae Hights was the beneficiary.

The O line looked a lot like last year, they protected the quarterback but didn't give the running backs many lanes. We need Anthony McKinney and Austin Myers back out there. Both were dressed but didn't play.

I think if Michael Collins can use this off week to make up some of the practice he missed in August, he could get back in the quarterback mix. If Alex Delton or Max Duggan are under center, I'd like to see more designed QB runs.

Garrett Wallow was everywhere. The young linebackers did pretty well, too.

Ochaun Mathis lived up to the hype with a great game. Shameik Blackshear didn't do a lot, but he did have a quarterback hurry that caused an incompletion that could have been a big play for them.
The program has a couple of nice profile articles about David Bolisomi and Vernon Scott. Reported how Bolisomi and his family left Togo when he was in sixth grade, how he adjusted and learned English and took up football his junior year of high school; how Scott played football at the insistence of his stepfather, and he almost quit when his stepdad died before last season. That's what I'd like to see more of in the commercial press, in addition to just reporting what GP says in his press conferences. By the way, Press Box DFW had a tailgate, and I got to meet Gil Lebreton, Carlos Mendez, Richie Whitt and John Henry. Gil said they are doing OK, the podcast is really taking off.

Notables not dressed out: George Ellis, Wes Harris, Carter Ware.

Evidently Julius Lewis was injured in practice last week and will be out several games. Freshman Kee'yon Stewart replaced him. He gave up the one big play that set up their score, but mostly he did pretty well. A priority for this open week has to be coaching up the young CBs and getting Tony Wallace ready to go. I sure wish Michael Onyemaobi would heal up.

If you wanna go 15-0, you gotta go 1-0.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darwin Barlow’s debut included an extra special score

The true freshman had a moment that he’ll never forget, because it was shared with someone else.

 

 

https://www.frogsowar.com/platform/amp/2019/9/2/20843751/darwin-barlows-debut-included-an-extra-special-score?utm_campaign=thecoachmelissa&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Burner said:

My observations on the first game:

 

The Frog fanbase sucks. Crowd was small, not very loud, and almost everyone left before the game was over.

The new video board is terrific. Very clear picture, on replays you can actually see what happened. Sound seemed to be improved too.

I like the shiny silver numbers and letters on these uniforms.

UAPB is an OK FCS opponent. They brought their band and a decent number of fans.

I scored a free Dr. Pepper for promising not to drink alcohol, which I don't do anyway. Sweet.

I really didn't see very many people drinking beer in the stadium. Then, there weren't very many people in the stadium. Did I mention the Frog fanbase sucks?

Not surprisingly, the second-half sing-along was an epic fail.

Praises be, the Rif-Ram video went back to the successful style of two years ago. L.J. Collier gave the closing line.

I guess our kickers are going to be OK.

The fans who have been upset with Coach Cumbie for constantly rotating receivers should be pleased, as we did little of that. The starters played the vast majority of snaps.

There seemed to be a gameplan of not throwing too much to Jalen Reagor. Several plays he looked wide open but the QB was looking the other way. TreVontae Hights was the beneficiary.

The O line looked a lot like last year, they protected the quarterback but didn't give the running backs many lanes. We need Anthony McKinney and Austin Myers back out there. Both were dressed but didn't play.

I think if Michael Collins can use this off week to make up some of the practice he missed in August, he could get back in the quarterback mix. If Alex Delton or Max Duggan are under center, I'd like to see more designed QB runs.

Garrett Wallow was everywhere. The young linebackers did pretty well, too.

Ochaun Mathis lived up to the hype with a great game. Shameik Blackshear didn't do a lot, but he did have a quarterback hurry that caused an incompletion that could have been a big play for them.
The program has a couple of nice profile articles about David Bolisomi and Vernon Scott. Reported how Bolisomi and his family left Togo when he was in sixth grade, how he adjusted and learned English and took up football his junior year of high school; how Scott played football at the insistence of his stepfather, and he almost quit when his stepdad died before last season. That's what I'd like to see more of in the commercial press, in addition to just reporting what GP says in his press conferences. By the way, Press Box DFW had a tailgate, and I got to meet Gil Lebreton, Carlos Mendez, Richie Whitt and John Henry. Gil said they are doing OK, the podcast is really taking off.

Notables not dressed out: George Ellis, Wes Harris, Carter Ware.

Evidently Julius Lewis was injured in practice last week and will be out several games. Freshman Kee'yon Stewart replaced him. He gave up the one big play that set up their score, but mostly he did pretty well. A priority for this open week has to be coaching up the young CBs and getting Tony Wallace ready to go. I sure wish Michael Onyemaobi would heal up.

If you wanna go 15-0, you gotta go 1-0.

 

Interesting take.  I actually though the crowned was good, given the opponent. West side lower bowl was 90% full the entire 1st half.  West side upper deck looked full the the entire 1st half, minus the sections that are allotted to APB.  East side crowd was good for 1st half as well.  I am part of the problem, I guess, as we left at halftime with or 3 and 7 year olds being up past their bedtimes.  Had it been a decent opponent, we’d have gotten a sitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked to one knowledgeable fan and the person he was most disappointed in was Blacklock. Thought that was an interesting take with some merit. Two years ago he would have been a dominating force in that game. He’s definitely not back to that level yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

 

Interesting take.  I actually though the crowned was good, given the opponent. West side lower bowl was 90% full the entire 1st half.  West side upper deck looked full the the entire 1st half, minus the sections that are allotted to APB.  East side crowd was good for 1st half as well.  I am part of the problem, I guess, as we left at halftime with or 3 and 7 year olds being up past their bedtimes.  Had it been a decent opponent, we’d have gotten a sitter.

 

That's good to hear. From where I sit I can't  see the lower West side. East side and upper deck looked about half full at best, and by the fourth quarter the stadium was a vast emptiness. I understand about the kiddies needing to go to bed, however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Burner said:

My observations on the first game:

 

The Frog fanbase sucks. Crowd was small, not very loud, and almost everyone left before the game was over.

The new video board is terrific. Very clear picture, on replays you can actually see what happened. Sound seemed to be improved too.

I like the shiny silver numbers and letters on these uniforms.

UAPB is an OK FCS opponent. They brought their band and a decent number of fans.

I scored a free Dr. Pepper for promising not to drink alcohol, which I don't do anyway. Sweet.

I really didn't see very many people drinking beer in the stadium. Then, there weren't very many people in the stadium. Did I mention the Frog fanbase sucks?

Not surprisingly, the second-half sing-along was an epic fail.

Praises be, the Rif-Ram video went back to the successful style of two years ago. L.J. Collier gave the closing line.

I guess our kickers are going to be OK.

The fans who have been upset with Coach Cumbie for constantly rotating receivers should be pleased, as we did little of that. The starters played the vast majority of snaps.

There seemed to be a gameplan of not throwing too much to Jalen Reagor. Several plays he looked wide open but the QB was looking the other way. TreVontae Hights was the beneficiary.

The O line looked a lot like last year, they protected the quarterback but didn't give the running backs many lanes. We need Anthony McKinney and Austin Myers back out there. Both were dressed but didn't play.

I think if Michael Collins can use this off week to make up some of the practice he missed in August, he could get back in the quarterback mix. If Alex Delton or Max Duggan are under center, I'd like to see more designed QB runs.

Garrett Wallow was everywhere. The young linebackers did pretty well, too.

Ochaun Mathis lived up to the hype with a great game. Shameik Blackshear didn't do a lot, but he did have a quarterback hurry that caused an incompletion that could have been a big play for them.
The program has a couple of nice profile articles about David Bolisomi and Vernon Scott. Reported how Bolisomi and his family left Togo when he was in sixth grade, how he adjusted and learned English and took up football his junior year of high school; how Scott played football at the insistence of his stepfather, and he almost quit when his stepdad died before last season. That's what I'd like to see more of in the commercial press, in addition to just reporting what GP says in his press conferences. By the way, Press Box DFW had a tailgate, and I got to meet Gil Lebreton, Carlos Mendez, Richie Whitt and John Henry. Gil said they are doing OK, the podcast is really taking off.

Notables not dressed out: George Ellis, Wes Harris, Carter Ware.

Evidently Julius Lewis was injured in practice last week and will be out several games. Freshman Kee'yon Stewart replaced him. He gave up the one big play that set up their score, but mostly he did pretty well. A priority for this open week has to be coaching up the young CBs and getting Tony Wallace ready to go. I sure wish Michael Onyemaobi would heal up.

If you wanna go 15-0, you gotta go 1-0.

 

 

Es una buena escritura, gracias por la perspicacia

 

That's a nice write up, thank you for the insight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who saw the game and weren't limited to the radio broadcast, what was going on with the run game in the first half?  Were we just focused on trying out the QBs and so we just neglected the run?  We did only end up with 36 rushing attempts, 8 of which were Barlow on that last drive, and 7 were Delton scrambles.  The trio of Sewo, Darius, and Demercado touched the ball a combined 22 times if you count the 4 pass receptions.  I guess after all the talk of Niang and the experience on the OL and the notion that we'd be plain vanilla against APB, I expected us to ground and pound, and we had less that 40 yards on the ground in the first half. 

 

I guess my question comes down to, should we be worried about the running game or were we just focused on trying to figure out what our new cast of QBs can do in a glorified scrimmage?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

For those who saw the game and weren't limited to the radio broadcast, what was going on with the run game in the first half?  Were we just focused on trying out the QBs and so we just neglected the run?  We did only end up with 36 rushing attempts, 8 of which were Barlow on that last drive, and 7 were Delton scrambles.  The trio of Sewo, Darius, and Demercado touched the ball a combined 22 times if you count the 4 pass receptions.  I guess after all the talk of Niang and the experience on the OL and the notion that we'd be plain vanilla against APB, I expected us to ground and pound, and we had less that 40 yards on the ground in the first half. 

 

I guess my question comes down to, should we be worried about the running game or were we just focused on trying to figure out what our new cast of QBs can do in a glorified scrimmage?

I suspect we'll see a very different game plan against Purdue. I think GP really treated this as a preseason game with the real "opener" happening next week. I'm not panicked about this game at all. The score ended up being totally acceptable. I think this is as close to an NFL-style preseason game as we've ever had. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

I suspect we'll see a very different game plan against Purdue. I think GP really treated this as a preseason game with the real "opener" happening next week. I'm not panicked about this game at all. The score ended up being totally acceptable. I think this is as close to an NFL-style preseason game as we've ever had. 

 

I guess when @Boston Frog tells me to come in off the ledge, I should come in off the ledge ...

  • Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

 

I guess when @Boston Frog tells me to come in off the ledge, I should come in off the ledge ...

 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aabb4c7d9890838d5e8

  • Haha  (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

I suspect we'll see a very different game plan against Purdue. I think GP really treated this as a preseason game with the real "opener" happening next week. I'm not panicked about this game at all. The score ended up being totally acceptable. I think this is as close to an NFL-style preseason game as we've ever had. 

It definitely looked like we were trying out the QBs, so there was very little focus on the run game. This was about as far from a true game as possible, so I'm not putting much into it - I was hoping we would see better line play, so that was a bit disappointing but otherwise I'm not putting anything into the actual game plan. Although, I did like Duggan lining up under center at the goal line...novel concept I'd like to see more of instead of the shotgun crap with inches to go.

 

It seems like GP wants to instill more hard-nosed football and I'm all for it, so hopefully Cumbie and Co can create an offense that works. I'm not a huge fan of the Air Raid and would much rather see us run more of a multiple offense like we did with Fuente.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 10:15 PM, Vlade Divac said:

 

His current build and throwing motion remind me of Drew Brees. 

This is what Estridge said during the game broadcast, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 3:40 AM, Burner said:

Press Box DFW had a tailgate, and I got to meet Gil Lebreton, Carlos Mendez, Richie Whitt and John Henry. Gil said they are doing OK, the podcast is really taking off.

Dammit, Burner! You have all the luck! 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...