Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TCU vs. ARK Pine Bluff Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TCaliU said:

Would you really fire patterson if we lost?

 

Probably. If he didn’t quit first. 

 

That is the definition of gross negligence 

  • Haha  (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

 

Eek.

 

We went on to lose to A&M that year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun fact, Gary Patterson is tied with Kyle Wittingham in third for the most bowl victories for active coaches. Only Nick Saban and Mack Brown have more.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Fun fact, Gary Patterson is tied with Kyle Wittingham in third for the most bowl victories for active coaches. Only Nick Saban and Mack Brown have more.

And, he's third in all-time wins for active coaches behind those two, also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, DirtyThirdFrog said:

 

Right? Like let’s play Texas State or Arkansas State or North Texas or shoot. Even Rice. It’s embarrassing  

 

SWAC teams Sagarin ratings out of 256 total teams:

 

256

253

252 (A-PB)

250

242 (Jackson St)

234

220

215

202

191 (Alcorn)

 

There is no way we should be playing anyone with a Sagarin Rating over 200. 

 

Teams with a ranking over 100 but less than 200 that would be more credible opponents are
 

101 S. Miss

102 FIU

104 CSU 

106 MTSU

107 Rutgers (WTG Big 10)

108 UAB

109 Oregon St.

110 Tulsa

112 U La La

115 UNLV

118 UC-Davis

120 ECU

122 UNM

124 Weber St.

129 Akron

135 UTSA

144 SJ St

152 SHSU

166 TX ST

170 Rice

172 UTEP

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought GP had some special feelings about playing HBCU teams. Like, he wanted to give them the media exposure and extra money (?) by playing a more highly ranked FBS team than they normally would get. Or, did I just make that up in my head?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I thought GP had some special feelings about playing HBCU teams. Like, he wanted to give them the media exposure and extra money (?) by playing a more highly ranked FBS team than they normally would get. Or, did I just make that up in my head?

 

These body bag games do keep the football programs afloat at a lot of HBCU.  I still hate 'em.  One proposal I heard to put an end to body bag games was for the NCAA to allow FCS teams to scrimmage FBS teams in the fall in exchange for getting paid.  I doubt it will ever happen because you get zero revenue from fans to offset the appearance fee but it would be nice.

  • Thanks (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, shenanigans said:

It's also crappy for the fans. We gain absolutely nothing from playing these schools. I would much rather replace a SWAC team with Rice, La Tech, UNT, etc...basically any D1 team that can at least field a competitive team, generate some fan interest. 

 

We get money from playing those schools. The FCS game is always a  home game (revenue generator), and we don't have to pay them as much for that one-and-done as we would a Sunbelt or CUSA team. Would you like some seasons with only 5 home games?

 

Anyway, I kind of like the idea of having one game where the walkons and scout teamers might get to actually play.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burner said:

 

We get money from playing those schools. The FCS game is always a  home game (revenue generator), and we don't have to pay them as much for that one-and-done as we would a Sunbelt or CUSA team. Would you like some seasons with only 5 home games?

 

Anyway, I kind of like the idea of having one game where the walkons and scout teamers might get to actually play.

 

I used to believe that we needed to upgrade our FCS to a group of 5 to increase our SOS, but I believe that @Duquesne Frog can confirm that the difference really isn't significant. I do hold on to the perception aspect and wonder if the upgrade is necessary to prevent a 2014, however I am still a pessimist and only believe that blue bloods have access to the playoff games.

  • Upvote (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that going from playing a UAPB/Grambling to a UNT/Middle Tennessee would make any difference in regard to SOS or pollster perception.  We either go undefeated or we don't.  Maaaaybe playing all road games against Michigans/UCLAs would buy us some slack if we finished 11-1, but I doubt it.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see TCU schedule a game with Appalachian State.  They are a very good game and a good win against them would be a plus.

While I'm at it, they just hired a new coach after Satterwhite took the job at Louisville.  The new coach is Eliah Drinkwitz, who most recently been the OC at North Carolina State, who ranked 16th in the nation in total offense and 22nd in the nation in scoring offense.  He is definitely a young coach on the rise and is very well spoken.  Keep your eyes on him, I think he will be somebody to watch.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

I would love to see TCU schedule a game with Appalachian State.  They are a very good game and a good win against them would be a plus.

 

I know App State's been putting good teams on the field for a while now - and I'd enjoy watching us play them - but perception wise, I don't think a win over them would move the needle for us in the eyes of the pollsters.    

  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

At least according to Fox 4's Weather App, the forecast for Saturday the 31st:  Partly cloudy, high of 88...

 

Not bad for August 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wunderground says 84 with an 11 mph wind and 43% cloud cover at 6 pm and drop to 80 by 9:00.  Humidity won't be too bad either.  I know that's highly speculative this far out but if it's accurate, it will be a beautiful day for football.  

 

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/tx/fort-worth/date/2019-08-31

 

 

  • Upvote (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, Rothbardian said:

 

I used to believe that we needed to upgrade our FCS to a group of 5 to increase our SOS, but I believe that @Duquesne Frog can confirm that the difference really isn't significant. I do hold on to the perception aspect and wonder if the upgrade is necessary to prevent a 2014, however I am still a pessimist and only believe that blue bloods have access to the playoff games.

 

I just saw this ... I guess my squirmy answer is that it depends.  At a high level, any single game is only contributing 8.3% to 7.7% to the SoS, so if you go from a Go5 rated 90th to an FCS rated 120th ... no it's not really going to have a huge impact.

 

As a for instance, if you replaced SMU (DUSHEE rank 101, Score -9.6) with a hypothetical FCS team that was worse than UConn was last year (Rank 130th, Score -34.8, make no mistake that there were many FCS teams better than UConn last year) ... say a -40, TCUs SOS goes from 3.74 (27th most difficult in FBS) to 1.21, which would have dropped them to about 50th.  Probably not enough of a difference to really hurt a team analytically.

 

I think the hit is really in terms of perception.  With the exception of Boise and maybe BYU and very recently UCF, I don't think beating a good Go5 school really does anything for your perception.  Beating Memphis or Utah State SHOULD mean something nationally, but I'm not really sure it does.  The negative impact of losing to them very much outweighs the positive impact of beating them.  Of course, this is the position TCU was in during our Wandering The Desert phase.  And it pissed us off when people made the same arguments about playing us. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the weather holds for a nice day.

 

As far as the FCS schedule, I don't care about the SOS.  Short of swapping the FCS team with Alabama, Georgia or Ohio State every year and winning the game, the SOS wont make a difference vs certain Blue Bloods getting in.

 

I do care about driving 8 hours round trip to watch a scrimmage, give me something remotely competitive more often than not.  The only reason I go is 1) opening game, 2) an easy game to take young nieces and nephews to and get to leave early when they get tired.  I usually can't go to all the games, at least others I can find a home for the tickets.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depth Chart posted.  Some of the guys listed are starting due to injuries (minor) to the presumed starter.  For example Quazzy White at OT because McKinney is nicked up.  Same at guard, Wes Harris is going to sit this one out.  Hopefully they're all ready in two weeks for Purdue. 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Depth Chart posted.  Some of the guys listed are starting due to injuries (minor) to the presumed starter.  For example Quazzy White at OT because McKinney is nicked up.  Same at guard, Wes Harris is going to sit this one out.  Hopefully they're all ready in two weeks for Purdue. 

 

 

 

 

 

Soooo. Going in reverse order. Downing is the starter, Collins QB2, Rogers QB3 with Delton and Duggan never touching the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out I'm not going to be able to go to the game or even watch it on TV. I've got to be at a thing for my wife's family and Dish doesn't have FSSW so I can't record either.

Hopefully it gets put on youtube or something and I can watch it on the laptop later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...