Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TCU vs. ARK Pine Bluff Thread

Getting this thread started early so I can invite our opponent's fans over for friendly smack talk. Plus, I can't wait for football, Frog fans!! Let's go!

Collins starts, five QBs play, TCU 49-0.

Seems like TCU always gives up one of those what-the-heck TDs in games where they are not focused.  No idea TCU's score, but they score 7.

9 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

Ranas de Cuerno  42-16

A scoring machine will not exist in the opener and the defensive injuries will be apparent....But Frogs win...just not to our satisfaction....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blacklock starts and the Frogs cruise 61-6.

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

APB is a bad FCS team.  If we dont win by 50 it will be a rough year.

While I agree we should win, they've got some players who we need to not disregard. They led the SWAC in a few positive categories last year, including sacks, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, their second-year HC brought in a slew of new assistants since last season. I know CGP will have the team prepared, but these games always scare me.

We should win by 50+. I'm thinking 62-7.

I'm going to say 3 QBs play. Delton Starts, Rogers with the most reps. Max with some mop up.

Rogers shows he is healthy enough and overtakes starting job by end of Purdue game.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, Duquesne Frog said:

APB is a bad FCS team.  If we dont win by 50 it will be a rough year.

I always think back to the opener in 2014- Samford. We came out absolutely HUMMING that game. Boykin just was flinging it all over the first quarter and I was like "who is this team!?!?!". Set the tone for the rest of the season.

Then you look at years like 2013, 2016 where we just looked flat flat flat in the opener. Lets hope this year is like 2014. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just for perspective, a look at the Frogs' last 10 games vs. FCS opponents:

2018: TCU 55, Southern 7  --  (Southern finished 7-4)

2017: TCU 63, Jackson State 0  --  (JSU finished 3-8)

2016: TCU 59, South Dakota State 41  --  (SDSU finished 9-4)

2015: TCU 70, Stephen F. Austin 7 --  (SFA finished 4-7)

2014: TCU 48, Samford 14  --  (Samford finished 7-4)

2013: TCU 38, SE Louisiana 17  -- (SELU finished 11-3)

2012: TCU 56, Grambling 0 -- (Grambling finished 1-10)

2011: TCU 55, Portland State 13 -- (PSU finished 7-4)

2010: TCU 62, Tennessee Tech 7 --  (TTU finished 7-4)

2009: TCU 56, Texas State 21  --  (TSU finished 7-4, they moved up to FBS in 2012)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

2009: TCU 56, Texas State 21  --  (TSU finished 7-4, they moved up to FBS in 2012)

The 2013 & 2016 games really stick out in mind as "wow, this could be a long season". And they were both pretty poor seasons. ALso happens those were good FCS teams, but still. FCS is FCS. We shoudl never win by less than 4 TD's. I stlll have nightmares from that 2013 SE LA game, we were pathetic! Casey's arm snapped in two. It was just all around bad juju. 

I think 2018 we were better than our record. Beat OSU or UT earlier in the season, and it could end up differently. 

• Like (+1) 1

63-0 and walk-ons play the entire 4th quarter.  Delton has 3 TD passes, Collins has 2 and Duggan has 2.  Darius Anderson and Demercado both have a rushing TD.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Only 2 shut outs in that time.  I think the defense needs to work on number 3.  I don't mind if it means my prediction of a stupid TD is wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I always think back to the opener in 2014- Samford. We came out absolutely HUMMING that game. Boykin just was flinging it all over the first quarter and I was like "who is this team!?!?!". Set the tone for the rest of the season.

Then you look at years like 2013, 2016 where we just looked flat flat flat in the opener. Lets hope this year is like 2014. 

I was just thinking the same thing.  That 2014 opener was so exciting but we were all trying to temper our expectations.  Little did we know….

APB was not a good SWAC team but they really weren't as bad as I thought based on their 90-6 loss to South Dakota St.  They were 2-9 but they had a 4 pt loss to Morehouse, a 3 pt loss to Jackson, a 2OT loss to Miss Valley, and an OT loss to Grambling.  They got drilled 55-9 by FIU in their only game against an FBS team but FIU was pretty decent last year.  So, they're probably going to be bad but maybe not as bad as that Grambling team we played in 2012. 

Here's the only preview I could find on them.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-preview-arkansas-pine-bluff-swac-ajaj

ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF (2-9 IN 2018)

The SWAC (UAPB was Tied 4th in East in 2018)

COACH: Cedric Thomas - At School: 2nd year (2-9 record), Overall: Same
LAST FCS POSTSEASON: None
2018 OFFENSE: 25.3 ppg. (81st in FCS)
2018 DEFENSE: 43.2 ppg. (119th in FCS)
KEY GAME: Nov. 17 - @Texas Southern - Last year the Golden Lions kicked five field goals in this game to hand UAPB its lone FCS win (thank you Jamie Gillan - who is currently working towards kicking/punting in the pros as a career). One can imagine this game should be interesting once again.
SUM IT UP: The 2018 season was a perplexing one for UAPB, as it fell by four points to non-FCS Morehouse College, went to overtime with Grambling and Mississippi Valley State and was just three points short of Jackson State. In other words, this program wasn't that far from five or six wins, yet in other games the Golden Lions truly took it on the chin. So who is back to take another shot at this? Actually, a decent chunk of last year's starting lineup in the win against Texas Southern were underclassmen.

There are skill position studs abound, led by HERO Sports Freshman All American WR DeJuan Miller, who was impressive in his first go around -- and this program should post some points this fall with 10 starters back on "O". Both quarterbacks who took snaps this spring, Skyler Perry and Shannon Patrick, showed they could get it done last fall. If the guys up front can gum up the opponent for a few seconds, and the defense can bump down its points per game average from last year, watch out.
OUR TAKE: This could be a fun team to watch this fall, because the offensive skill talent is impressive and ready to post some points. We're not projecting a SWAC championship here, but the Golden Lions aren't going to win only one FCS game this year (as it did last year) ... it'll win some entertaining shootouts this fall. Look for UAPB to at least double its win total from a year ago and have fun doing it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Sagarin had them ranked 253 out of 255 teams at the end of last year, for whatever that's worth.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Sagarin had them ranked 253 out of 255 teams at the end of last year, for whatever that's worth.

Ouch.  I hate playing SWAC teams.  I appreciate the fact that they need the revenue but it's not really fair to those kids to offer them up like lambs to the slaughter against a vastly superior opponent.  I wish we would at least play a Sun Belt team or even a decent Southland Conference team.  Most of those SWAC teams couldn't beat a decent Lone Star Conference D2 school. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Ouch.  I hate playing SWAC teams.  I appreciate the fact that they need the revenue but it's not really fair to those kids to offer them up like lambs to the slaughter against a vastly superior opponent.  I wish we would at least play a Sun Belt team or even a decent Southland Conference team.  Most of those SWAC teams couldn't beat a decent Lone Star Conference D2 school. 

Right? Like let’s play Texas State or Arkansas State or North Texas or shoot. Even Rice. It’s embarrassing  

Y'all better not get ahead of yourselves. Have you learned nothing from our previous seasons? Granted, it's not the 1980's anymore, but GP would warn about getting too sure of a blow out.

• Upvote (+1) 3

14 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Right? Like let’s play Texas State or Arkansas State or North Texas or shoot. Even Rice. It’s embarrassing  

It's also crappy for the fans. We gain absolutely nothing from playing these schools. I would much rather replace a SWAC team with Rice, La Tech, UNT, etc...basically any D1 team that can at least field a competitive team, generate some fan interest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Y'all better not get ahead of yourselves. Have you learned nothing from our previous seasons? Granted, it's not the 1980's anymore, but GP would warn about getting too sure of a blow out.

He tells his players that. But CGP should be fired on the spot if we lose to these guys. 

3 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

He tells his players that. But CGP should be fired on the spot if we lose to these guys. 

Would you really fire patterson if we lost?

• Upvote (+1) 1