Sign in to follow this  
Burner

Earn the chip: Official 2019 Football Thread

Schedule change alert:

Kickoff for the West Virginia game on Friday the 29th has been pushed back by 45 minutes.  It's now a 3:15 pm kickoff.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

You can vote for Jonathan Song on the Lou Groza award website.  He's getting a lot of love:

https://www.lougrozaaward.com/19semifinalists

Wow! As of 10:30pm Pacific time Tuesday, he's got 3,426 votes. The next closest candidate has 513. But, everyone should still vote so we can send Jonathan out in style! Thanks for posting this, Duq.

7 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Wow! As of 10:30pm Pacific time Tuesday, he's got 3,426 votes. The next closest candidate has 513. But, everyone should still vote so we can send Jonathan out in style! Thanks for posting this, Duq.

How embarrassing for the people who have been trashing Song on various internet forums for the past three years.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Burner said:

How embarrassing for the people who have been trashing Song on various internet forums for the past three years.

I had no idea that was happening and it's yet another reason why I love our TFH members so much. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Backup linebacker Jacoby Simpson has entered the transfer portal.

sg1-1017_talion-stargate.jpg

• Haha  (+1) 2

I'm assuming that the three transfers open up roster spots in the 2020 class???

Michael Collins enters Stargate, perhaps returning to Ireland to break the bonds of English repression.

On a serious note, it's starting to look like an unintended consequence of the transfer portal is that it's getting real hard to keep backup QBs on the roster ...

Mike Collins Has Entered the Transfer Portal

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm assuming that he got passed up on the depth chart...which may be a good thing.

Matthew Baldwin must be 2nd...

No surprise Collins is leaving. I expect him to go back to Penn for an MBA from Wharton. Too bad injuries prevented him from really getting established here, but I think he is going to have a very successful life.

I hope Baldwin will stay as a backup to Duggan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think I heard Jeremy Clark mention that when guys leave, the scholarship spot doesn't open up until they sign/register with a different school so all these guys leaving probably count towards the following recruiting season and not the current.

1 hour ago, Rothbardian said:

I think I heard Jeremy Clark mention that when guys leave, the scholarship spot doesn't open up until they sign/register with a different school so all these guys leaving probably count towards the following recruiting season and not the current.

I'm pretty sure that's true because I think it's possible to come back from the transfer portal if they change their mind. But most of them will want to sign fairly quickly so they can do spring training with their new team, so the ships should be open before the second signing day in February.. And, our coaches are probably going to want to save a couple of scholarships for transfers in the spring or summer anyway.

2 of the top 4 safeties.  1 true soph and 1 true freshman. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1