Sign in to follow this  
Burner

Earn the chip: Official 2019 Football Thread

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/college-football-2019-five-dangerous-teams-no-one-is-talking-about/ar-AAFJrar

Big 12: TCU Horned Frogs

Yeah, you already memory dumped the 2019 Cheez-It Bowl - possibly the worst sporting event of all-time that didn't involve a death.

TCU managed to get by Cal 10-7, and while the bowl was the butt of too many jokes, it closed out an under-the-radar finishing kick to the Horned Frog season.

The offense didn't work over the final ten games following the loss to Ohio State, scoring 17 points or fewer seven times and going on an ugly 2-6 run as the season started to slip away. But the Horned Frogs managed to pull off a 16-9 gut-check win at Baylor, got bowl eligible with a 31-24 victory over Oklahoma State, and finished with a winning season in the Cheez-It.

The team easily could have quit, and instead, it found a way to keep pushing.

Leave it to head coach Gary Patterson to adapt and adjust even further.

His team went 4-8 in 2013. The offensive tweaks were made, and the Horned Frogs won 23 games over the next two seasons.

The 2016 team struggled in a 6-7 season, and got to the Big 12 Championship the following season going 11-3.

This year, expect more out of an offense that has a better overall quarterback situation, a line that returns four starters, and with a passing game that should work around all-star receiver Jalen Reagor.

The secondary will be among the Big 12's best, the run defense will be a wall, and there's little concern over losing seven of the team's top eight tacklers.

Texas and West Virginia have to come to Fort Worth, but road games at Purdue, Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma won't make this an easy season. But again, TCU has a way of figuring it out.

No one's talking about the Horned Frogs now, but don't be shocked if they make it two trips to the Big 12 Championship game in three seasons.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Where is @SuperToad? He's usually all over these pre-season threads. Come back, baby!

• Like (+1) 1

Hey random question and my apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.  Was curious about Tate Martell's waiver being approved but Matthew Baldwin's being denied.  On the surface I would assume their circumstances are similar and they transfered after Justin Fields transferred in.  But maybe there's a nuance I'm not aware of that explains the different outcomes?? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

5 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Good article on QBs from 247.  Don’t know if it’s free or not but you can click and find out.  

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/board/101445/Contents/separation-in-the-tcu-starting-qb-battle-134469704/

Can confirm its free.

I'm personally excited to see what Delton can do with so many offensive weapons around him and an offense that should better suit him.

If it doesn't work out, bring on Duggan!

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, gofrogs152 said:

Hey random question and my apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.  Was curious about Tate Martell's waiver being approved but Matthew Baldwin's being denied.  On the surface I would assume their circumstances are similar and they transfered after Justin Fields transferred in.  But maybe there's a nuance I'm not aware of that explains the different outcomes?? 

Seems to me their situations were identical.  No justifiable reason for different rulings.

• Thanks (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Seems to me their situations were identical.  No justifiable reason for different rulings.

1 hour ago, gofrogs152 said:

Two differences, one is that Tater was asked to leave tOSU.  So, technically, he didn't have a choice to stay.  However, the kid was an entitled brat and malcontent from the time he stepped on campus so you can't blame tOSU for telling him to hit the road.  Second, Baldwin went through the spring drills and game and tried to win the starting job and didn't leave until after he lost the battle and Fields was named the starter.  Tater left at the end of the fall semester.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Two differences, one is that Tater was asked to leave tOSU.  So, technically, he didn't have a choice to stay.  However, the kid was an entitled brat and malcontent from the time he stepped on campus so you can't blame tOSU for telling him to hit the road.  Second, Baldwin went through the spring drills and game and tried to win the starting job and didn't leave until after he lost the battle and Fields was named the starter.  Tater left at the end of the fall semester.

Thanks Angelos.  I don't have a ton of faith in the NCAA in terms of consistency, but was hoping there was a rational explanation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Esto tiene tres días 

This is three days old 

Fixed Frogs: Reagor, TCU healthy after impressive recovery
August 12, 2019
By The Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) When TCU won its final two games to get bowl eligible last year, Jalen Reagor extended his record touchdown receiving streak while also running for a score in each game.

Reagor, who also took some snaps while lining up in different spots, wasn't even at full strength because of a nagging ankle injury.

''He was hurt. The last four games, he played about 70 or 80 percent,'' coach Gary Patterson said. ''I don't think people even know how fast Jalen Reagor is.''

Unlike many others, Reagor was able to stay on the field and contribute in a huge way. Patterson said about two dozen Frogs suffered season-ending injuries and many others missed multiple games.

Through all of that, and after a 3-5 start, the Frogs won three of four to get to the Cheez-It Bowl, then had another winning season after an overtime victory over California.

''That was big for us ... know that we almost hit rock bottom, and we still rose to the occasion,'' linebacker Garret Wallow said.

While Reagor was then among several starters who missed at least part of spring practice, he is back healthy. So are key defenders like veteran safety Innis Gaines, who played only a half season before a knee injury, and tackle Ross Blacklock, who tore an Achilles tendon in a non-contact drill last preseason.

''Probably the worst pain I've felt in my life, traumatizing actually,'' Blacklock said.

Reagor had TD catches in seven consecutive games during a 1,000-yard receiving season. He accounted for 30% of TCU's receptions (72 of 239), the best in the Big 12 and highest under Patterson, who is going into his 19th season. The Frogs could use more of the same from the son of a former NFL defensive tackle.

''I don't look at it as pressure,'' Reagor said. ''I feel like I'm supposed to be here.''

TCU opens the season at home Aug. 31 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, then has an open date before going to Purdue.

LOT OF QB OPTIONS

Alex Delton is the most experienced TCU quarterback, through the graduate transfer's six starts came the past two seasons at Kansas State. Mike Collins, the former Penn transfer, started four games last year as a sophomore before a right ankle injury late in the season. There are also two highly touted freshmen: dual-threat QB Justin Rogers got one series in the bowl game, and Max Duggan was an early enrollee who took part in spring practice. The NCAA denied Texas native and Ohio State transfer Matthew Baldwin from being eligible to play immediately this season.

FACING DISCIPLINE

Running back Sewo Olonilua, who set a school bowl record with 194 yards rushing in the Cheez-It Bowl, was arrested in May on possible drug charges. Preseason practice started with the case still pending in Walker County. Patterson said Olonilua would practice and that there would be discipline from the TCU ''no matter how his deal turns out.

''The kid graduated in four years, he's been good here. Screwed up,'' the coach said. ''Always a price one way or another that has to be paid.''

END INTO FULL SEASON

TCU limited defensive end Ochaun Mathis to four games last season so the freshman could keep that year of eligibility. The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Mathis now gets a chance to have a big impact. LJ Collier and Ben Banogu, last year's starting ends, went in the first two rounds of the NFL draft.

NOT WHAT YOU THINK

The team motto ''Earn the Chip'' has nothing to do with the Frogs having a chip on their shoulder.

''Earn the right to wear purple and the black,'' Patterson clarified, saying that about 700 players have been through the program since he arrived as defensive coordinator 22 years ago. Former Frogs like Pro Football Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson are in their 40s. Clips of former players and standout moments have been featured this preseason to show ''what it means to play and be at TCU.''

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/story.cfm/story/1977933

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Senor Ballistico said:

"Earn the right to wear purple and the black,'' Patterson clarified, saying that about 700 players have been through the program since he arrived as defensive coordinator 22 years ago. Former Frogs like Pro Football Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson are in their 40s. Clips of former players and standout moments have been featured this preseason to show ''what it means to play and be at TCU.''

Paging PD . . .    🤣

Alex Delton Highlight Reel.  Some nice throws downfield and some good examples of his running ability.  I think he runs better than Boykin. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Paging PD . . .    🤣

🤦

10 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

This is three days old 

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) When TCU won its final two games to get bowl eligible last year, Jalen Reagor extended his record touchdown receiving streak while also running for a score in each game.

Where is this from, Senor? Can you also share the link, please?

Not sure it is worth clicking, but thought this game comment was interesting in a sad way.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/08/09/the-20-best-texan-college-football-games-of-2019?ref=article_preview_title

14. SMU vs. North Texas

Date: Sept. 7

Last season, UNT’s dominant win over SMU in the opener set the tone and set up a massive win over Arkansas. Now, SMU will try to return the favor and take control back control of the Metroplex. Shane Buechele vs. Mason Fine should be an electric quarterback matchup.

Note the bold red part.  I didn't know either SMU or UNT controlled the metroplex.

Note that many of the games could be good from a matchup and just fun football, but TCU is only in one top 20 game.  Thus only one that should be a good matchup TCU-BU.

• Haha  (+1) 1

11 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Alex Delton Highlight Reel.  Some nice throws downfield and some good examples of his running ability.  I think he runs better than Boykin. 

Okay. Wow. I feel A LOT better. He did throw the ball around well, has a weird little hitch in his windup but that’s fine at this level.

maybe a lot of it was just scheme and lack of playmakers at KSU. He runs like a running back. Probably not as shifty as Boykin, but certainly much faster. He’s probably a 4.6-4.5 guy. 

I just remember him being horribad against us those 2 times. 

Alright. I’m all in on Delton with Max and JR battling for 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Okay. Wow. I feel A LOT better. He did throw the ball around well, has a weird little hitch in his windup but that’s fine at this level.

maybe a lot of it was just scheme and lack of playmakers at KSU. He runs like a running back. Probably not as shifty as Boykin, but certainly much faster. He’s probably a 4.6-4.5 guy. 

I just remember him being horribad against us those 2 times. 

Alright. I’m all in on Delton with Max and JR battling for 2020. 

I know, I feel a ton better as well. I remember him having a decent arm, but I think Snyder lost his feel for offense about 15 years ago. Delton is every bit the athlete Michael Bishop was.

I think Boykin was only around 55% in 2014, so the ability to throw deep and run makes a huge difference.

• Like (+1) 1