Sign in to follow this  
Burner

Earn the chip: Official 2019 Football Thread

I think he will name a starter but may wait until the press conference the week of the APB game.  Those are usually on the Monday or Tuesday of the game. 

I think we will see all three QB's in that game unless they want to preserve Duggan's chance to redshirt.  He can play 4 games but if you play him something like 8 snaps to hand the ball off every time in the 4th quarter of the APB game and you need him because of injuries later in the season, you may regret wasting one of the four redshirt games on meaningless snaps. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

I think he will name a starter but may wait until the press conference the week of the APB game.  Those are usually on the Monday or Tuesday of the game. 

I think we will see all three QB's in that game unless they want to preserve Duggan's chance to redshirt.  He can play 4 games but if you play him something like 8 snaps to hand the ball off every time in the 4th quarter of the APB game and you need him because of injuries later in the season, you may regret wasting one of the four redshirt games on meaningless snaps. 

Well, depending on Mike Collins' injury status, Duggan may be the #2 guy to start the season.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Well, depending on Mike Collins' injury status, Duggan may be the #2 guy to start the season.

Yeah, you gotta play Duggan if that happens but hopefully Collins will heal quickly. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

All I am guessing is that Duggan will get at least 4 games in if healthy all season. 

If he does well, and the others are not healed, I could see them burning the red shirt for more than 4 games.  I am not for judging or declaring a star before they have played, but I am interested to see how he does.

Also think it would be fun to see one of the redshirt freshman no one mentions come in if they are eligible.  Don't know if Downing or Beucler are available or not.

• Upvote (+1) 2

20 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

So do we actually think Gary will "name" a starter? I don't think he will.

I can't wait to see how many "or" are listed at QB for the first game...

• Upvote (+1) 1

One other interesting thing I gathered from Gary's last couple of post-practice interview is that he actually mentioned the TE's a couple of times.  I would love to see our TE's get at least 20 catches this season. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Losing Montrel Wilson sucks but GP said he was going to limit Montrel to about 15 snaps a game so it's not like we're losing a full time player.  What's worse is that Ben Wilson is out for probably the first month of the season with some type injury.  We're thin at LB boys (and girls).  Collins was in a boot the other day so I'm not surprised that it's become a Delton/Duggan battle at QB.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not good at embedding tweets, but there were a few nuggets from Jeremy Clark this morning.  Sounds like:

-The QB race may be, as many have already speculated, down to Delton & Duggan.

-Montrel Wilson is done with football.  

-Dee Winters and La'Kendrick Van Zandt may be stepping up to fill the void at LB

EDIT: Ha, looks like @angelosfrog beat me to most of this info.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Losing Montrel Wilson sucks but GP said he was going to limit Montrel to about 15 snaps a game so it's not like we're losing a full time player.  What's worse is that Ben Wilson is out for probably the first month of the season with some type injury.  We're thin at LB boys (and girls).  Collins was in a boot the other day so I'm not surprised that it's become a Delton/Duggan battle at QB.

Eh, all Gary speak. I still think we see 3 QB's in the opener. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Heard Collins was out of the boot watching practice the other day, FWIW.  No idea his timeline but took that as a good sign.  

Delton looks strong in practice.  Duggan making freshman mistakes but looks good. 

We have 10 receivers on scholarship this year, and we usually carry 14. From that, I deduce we will see a tight end/blocking back used most of the time.

Really sucks to lose a senior linebacker who was cited earlier this summer for providing good leadership to the young pups at that position. I gather it was not a new injury so much as never recovered from last year. Have to look for a freshman to step up and learn fast (DeMauryon Holmes, Dee Winters, Dylan Jordan … maybe Wyatt Harris moves back from DE now.) Hope Ben Wilson heals quickly.

I'm beginning to think Justin Rogers may never fully recover his high school abilities. His future may be as a pro-style pocket passer with limited mobility. Some guys with strong arms have made a lot of money that way.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Drew Davison got a couple of tidbits out of GP's last press availability I haven't seen elsewhere. Coy McMillon has begun to take over the competition for starting center, and David Bolisomi has looked good, providing some depth at tackle.

• Upvote (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Burner said:

We have 10 receivers on scholarship this year, and we usually carry 14. From that, I deduce we will see a tight end/blocking back used most of the time.

Really sucks to lose a senior linebacker who was cited earlier this summer for providing good leadership to the young pups at that position. I gather it was not a new injury so much as never recovered from last year. Have to look for a freshman to step up and learn fast (DeMauryon Holmes, Dee Winters, Dylan Jordan … maybe Wyatt Harris moves back from DE now.) Hope Ben Wilson heals quickly.

I'm beginning to think Justin Rogers may never fully recover his high school abilities. His future may be as a pro-style pocket passer with limited mobility. Some guys with strong arms have made a lot of money that way.

A lot of people have been speculating that... but I think its just that at this point speculation. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

A lot of people have been speculating that... but I think its just that at this point speculation. 

I think one problem is the fact that he hasn't played real football since the first game of the 2017 season in high school and he only had one season as a starter in HS.  His high school offense in La. may not have been very sophisticated either.  Gary says he's not seeing the rush.  I think that means he's not processing what's going on on the field in a game situation very well. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

FedEx delivered my season tickets today! 😍🤩😀

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rothbardian said:

Can any of our extra QBs play LB?

Sewo could play linebacker.

Oh no! I didn't just say that!  😉

22 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

One other interesting thing I gathered from Gary's last couple of post-practice interview is that he actually mentioned the TE's a couple of times.  I would love to see our TE's get at least 20 catches this season. 

Whats a TE? Didn't know we had any on our roster 😁

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, angelosfrog said:

Good article on QBs from 247.  Don’t know if it’s free or not but you can click and find out.  

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/board/101445/Contents/separation-in-the-tcu-starting-qb-battle-134469704/

Good article, I have a subscription too so not sure its free.

Guess my dream of 6'4" 230lb Justin Rogers wont happen this year. Sad.

Who knows though. Long season. I just want us to win!