Sign in to follow this  
Burner

Earn the chip: Official 2019 Football Thread

5 hours ago, Burner said:

Robinson's waiver to play at Missouri denied. Important to us because he was alleging mistreatment at TCU. Must not have had real credible evidence.

Also not a blue blood...

• Like (+1) 1

You gotta be kidding me ...

TCU football player out indefinitely after being hit by car while riding scooter

Senior kicker Cole Bunce was hit by a car while riding his scooter to the Frogs’ check-in day Thursday morning, coach Gary Patterson said.

Patterson said the injuries sustained by Bunce may sideline him for the season, but he’s out indefinitely for now.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

TCU football player out indefinitely after being hit by car while riding scooter

Senior kicker Cole Bunce was hit by a car while riding his scooter to the Frogs’ check-in day Thursday morning, coach Gary Patterson said.

Patterson said the injuries sustained by Bunce may sideline him for the season, but he’s out indefinitely for now.

281akc8.gif

• Like (+1) 1

Getting this thread back on track - from my point of view, the "chip" started in 1998 - total transformation of the program, and we continued to progress. There were phases, but each one got us closer to an elite level. There are too many to name, but my chipness reads as (defined as talented, overlooked, over-performed, or just nasty): Reggie Hunt (would absolutely light people up), Jason Goss, LT, Jason Phillips, Stephen Hodge, Tank, Robert Henson, Daryl Washington, David Hawthorne, George Layne, Batteaux, Doctson, Jeff Ballard, Dalton, Kerley, Jimmy Young, Bart Johnson, etc. I'm clearly leaving out way too many people, particularly OL and DL...but I think the point of it is going back to way beyond the Big 12 years and realizing we had some amazing players that were counted out because we weren't "big time". I love the message...let's get this season started.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

Getting this thread back on track - from my point of view, the "chip" started in 1998 - total transformation of the program, and we continued to progress. There were phases, but each one got us closer to an elite level. There are too many to name, but my chipness reads as (defined as talented, overlooked, over-performed, or just nasty): Reggie Hunt (would absolutely light people up), Jason Goss, LT, Jason Phillips, Stephen Hodge, Tank, Robert Henson, Daryl Washington, David Hawthorne, George Layne, Batteaux, Doctson, Jeff Ballard, Dalton, Kerley, Jimmy Young, Bart Johnson, etc. I'm clearly leaving out way too many people, particularly OL and DL...but I think the point of it is going back to way beyond the Big 12 years and realizing we had some amazing players that were counted out because we weren't "big time". I love the message...let's get this season started.

HELL YES!!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TCaliU said:

🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

Don't see a 10 or 18 there, but there's 17 (Downing) and 19 (Buecler?)

New numbers: Trevon Moehrig from 17 to 7; Dee Winters from 7 to 13 and now listed as a linebacker.

Also, new tight end Brent Matiscik (#36) 6-1, 245 from McKinney Boyd; and new receiver Cade Rosenkranz (#83) 5-10, 165 from Anaheim Servite.

• Thanks (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I'm putting my money on Swan to win the PK battle now that Cold Buns is apparently out.  I wonder how serious the injuries are...

28 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

13 looks healthy to me. 

How come 18 is ineligible?  This seems unfair to me...

Oh, no! Not Cold Buns! Please Lord, not again. 🙏

• Like (+1) 1

What are we? 4 practices in? Any updates? I've seen some of the short videos. Most interested about QB's.

2 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

What are we? 4 practices in? Any updates? I've seen some of the short videos. Most interested about QB's.

Based on one practice report (which may be all we get until Game 1), it looks like Rogers may be the odd man out as far as getting reps.  Mobility is still apparently an issue.  If that continues to be the case, the starter will come from Delton, Collins and Duggan.  Here's a little nugget from the FWST.  I think it will be Collins or Duggan to start but all three may play against APB.

Saturday’s practice was open to regular reporters who cover the team, and here’s what we learned --

The quarterback competition is alive and well. Saturday had a mixed bag of results with defensive backs intercepting at least three passes during the one-on-one portion.

“You’ve got to quit throwing them to us (the defense),” Patterson said. “They’ve got to throw them open. They can’t wait until they’re open. That’s not the way great ones do it. So we’ve got to throw them open.”

K-State grad transfer Alex Delton received the first reps and is the favorite, but he struggled at times with the deep ball.

Junior Mike Collins had the most consistent day, but also saw a pass intercepted by strong safety Innis Gaines during the one-on-one portion.

True freshman Max Duggan stood out the most during team drills, including a beautiful deep ball to sophomore receiver Derius Davis.

Redshirt freshman Justin Rogers didn’t flash much in his limited reps. Earlier this week, Patterson said Rogers is “closer than ever” to being fully healthy, but Rogers still isn’t 100 percent.

It’s fair to wonder if Rogers’ reps could dwindle as TCU won’t want to push him as the opening-day starter if he’s not 100 percent.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Found this guy in my front yard this evening.  I'm taking this as a good omen for the 2019 season ...

large.20190805_184638.jpg.241db82b6c6fea9f9c46190f2a105f7c.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 1

8 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Based on one practice report (which may be all we get until Game 1), it looks like Rogers may be the odd man out as far as getting reps.  Mobility is still apparently an issue.  If that continues to be the case, the starter will come from Delton, Collins and Duggan.  Here's a little nugget from the FWST.  I think it will be Collins or Duggan to start but all three may play against APB.

I won't be surprised if Collins and Delton split time, depending on whether the opponent and game situation require passing or running.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I’m still on the Rogers train. Don’t care he’s getting a few less reps. 

Im probably wrong. But idk. He’s my dude 

OK, here's what a lot of you have been waiting for. The athletic director's announcement for today:

AUGUST 6 
We will now make beer available for purchase to the public throughout the stadium. We look forward to seeing Miller Coors and Sodexo deliver a great experience for our fans.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Burner said:

OK, here's what a lot of you have been waiting for. The athletic director's announcement for today:

AUGUST 6 
We will now make beer available for purchase to the public throughout the stadium. We look forward to seeing Miller Coors and Sodexo deliver a great experience for our fans.

Boom! I’m still sneaking my liquor in. But sometimes you just want a cold ass beer. 

• Haha  (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Burner said:

AUGUST 6 

One stipulation though - no more in and out privileges. I think that's a bad move personally. For one, it's not like it will suddenly cause people to choose to stay in the game. In fact, this could potentially have a negative impact as people will definitely choose to either stay in the parking lot much later throughout the beginning of the game, or leave early as they always have, but with zero chance of coming back. While I'm the type to be crazy about being in my seats before kick-off and rarely leaving until the end, it's not the case for the remainder of my family...which makes up a decent contingency of attendees at the game - people that live locally, went to other universities and enjoy attending a few college games a year.

Also, I may scale WAY back on parking - no way am I going to pay for a spot in Lot 3, where it's nice to leave and enjoy a drink at halftime with friends and family that have been in and out during the game.

I really don't think it's a good idea.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I know there are those that won't like what I say, but TCU should have dropped the in and out policy a long time ago.  And having beer at the game will mean nothing to me.  I get to go to so few games (only the first one this year), that I could care less about socializing.  I go to watch/support my TCU Frogs play in person and could care less about anything else that most people like to do.  I want to get in my seat early,, watch the teams warm up, at halftime go to the restroom and grab a soft drink or water along with a hot dog, popcorn, pretzel, etc., and get back in my seat prior to the KO.  Why spend as much money as I do to retain my season tickets and then stand around in the parking lot when there is a game being played?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

I know there are those that won't like what I say, but TCU should have dropped the in and out policy a long time ago.  And having beer at the game will mean nothing to me.  I get to go to so few games (only the first one this year), that I could care less about socializing.  I go to watch/support my TCU Frogs play in person and could care less about anything else that most people like to do.  I want to get in my seat early,, watch the teams warm up, at halftime go to the restroom and grab a soft drink or water along with a hot dog, popcorn, pretzel, etc., and get back in my seat prior to the KO.  Why spend as much money as I do to retain my season tickets and then stand around in the parking lot when there is a game being played?  

Even when I was in college and I got into the games for free, I never got the point of getting lit before/during the game.  After the game, maybe.  But I want to enjoy the game.

And paying $10 for a BudMillerCoors?  No thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Even when I was in college and I got into the games for free, I never got the point of getting lit before/during the game.  After the game, maybe.  But I want to enjoy the game.

I take that you have never sat in the bleachers at Wrigley Field...

• Haha  (+1) 2

19 hours ago, shenanigans said:

One stipulation though - no more in and out privileges. I think that's a bad move personally. For one, it's not like it will suddenly cause people to choose to stay in the game. In fact, this could potentially have a negative impact as people will definitely choose to either stay in the parking lot much later throughout the beginning of the game, or leave early as they always have, but with zero chance of coming back. While I'm the type to be crazy about being in my seats before kick-off and rarely leaving until the end, it's not the case for the remainder of my family...which makes up a decent contingency of attendees at the game - people that live locally, went to other universities and enjoy attending a few college games a year.

Also, I may scale WAY back on parking - no way am I going to pay for a spot in Lot 3, where it's nice to leave and enjoy a drink at halftime with friends and family that have been in and out during the game.

I really don't think it's a good idea.

I've never really understood the leaving at halftime. The few times i've done it, you spend most of your time walking to or from the tailgate. All for, a beer? And its true, even the HUGE games, it can be super sparse until midway through the 3rd. It's a bad look. None of the big schools allow re-entry, lets start thinking like them. We're not in the MWC anymore.

And if people leave without coming back, well chances are, they likely weren't coming back to begin with. People will stay, unless the game sucks, and people would leave any way regardless of reentry policy. 

18 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Agree. The re-entry thing is High School-ish.

17 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I like getting a strong buzz right before kickoff and then kind of riding it, I def don't get lit though. And the $10 for beer? yeah its steep. But cost of doing business.

16 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

I take that you have never sat in the bleachers at Wrigley Field...

I was at a Reds game a few weeks ago and my wife couldn't get over the prices for beer and liquor. It's just the cost of going to the game honey. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1