Sign in to follow this  
Zebra Frog

You Make The Call - 2019

4 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Answer:  False

Once a player possesses the ball while grounded, it’s a dead ball.  It is reviewable and in this case would reverse the call and it would be B’s ball, 1/10.  Good job.  Maybe that one was too easy.  😉

Obviously, it sounds like only the Captain got it correct.

Question #5. (A little more difficult)

A, 4/10 at A-5. Punter A80 is standing in his own End Zone when he punts.  The ball crosses the neutral zone and strikes B95 in the helmet at the A-8.  The ball then rebounds back into A’s End Zone, where A95 recovers it and carries it to the A10.

Ruling:

I believe something like that happened in the Oregon Alamo Bowl, only it wasn't in the end zone and the Oregon back ran it far enough to get a first down.

My guess is because the ball crossed the line of scrimmage before being touched by B, this becomes a change of possession, A gets a first down at the 10. Had they downed the ball in the end zone, it would b a touchback and they get the ball at the 20.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, Burner said:

I believe something like that happened in the Oregon Alamo Bowl, only it wasn't in the end zone and the Oregon back ran it far enough to get a first down.

My guess is because the ball crossed the line of scrimmage before being touched by B, this becomes a change of possession, A gets a first down at the 10. Had they downed the ball in the end zone, it would b a touchback and they get the ball at the 20.

What I was thinking of as well.

A's ball, first and 10, at the A10.

21 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

What I was thinking of as well.

A's ball, first and 10, at the A10.

+4

On 7/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, Zebra Frog said:

Question #6. (A little more difficult)

A, 4/10 at A-5. Punter A80 is standing in his own End Zone when he punts.  The ball crosses the neutral zone and strikes B95 in the helmet at the A-8.  The ball then rebounds back into A’s End Zone, where A95 recovers it and carries it to the A10.

Ruling:  Safety

The ball becomes dead  when A95 recovers it because it was a scrimmage kick that had crossed the neutral zone.  The impetus of the kick is what put the ball in the EZ.  If the kick had been blocked, A95 could have advanced it. 

(Yeah, this one was a little tricky)

• Thanks (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Question #7

Team A 4/10 at their own 30 yard line.  Kicker A88 takes the snap and starts running toward the right side.  He crosses the A-30, gets to the A-32, then retreats to the A-29 and punts the ball.

True or False - A88 has committed a foul for crossing the line of scrimmage, retreating behind the line of scrimmage and kicking the ball.  

If A88 kicked while across the neutral zone, I believe it would be a 5 yard penalty and loss of down (same as illegal forward pass) 

This is a penalty, but I’m not sure on the actual placement of the ball. Going to go with true? 

I'd say True, but it feels like there's got to be something more to it.  He technically kicked from behind the line of scrimmage.  If a QB ran pas the line of scrimmage, then retreated behind it, i believe its still an illegal forward pass.  I feel like it should be the same for a kicker.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 8/5/2019 at 10:36 AM, Zebra Frog said:

Question #7

Team A 4/10 at their own 30 yard line.  Kicker A88 takes the snap and starts running toward the right side.  He crosses the A-30, gets to the A-32, then retreats to the A-29 and punts the ball.

True or False - A88 has committed a foul for crossing the line of scrimmage, retreating behind the line of scrimmage and kicking the ball.  

Still going with true, this is a foul. 

Question #7

Image result for truth gif

Question #7

FALSE

This would be true if it is the QB and he throws a pass, even if behind the line of scrimmage.  It's ok if the kicker retreats behind the line and then kicks the ball.

• Thanks (+1) 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4LXXVdPCTM

Dean Blandino explains the new targeting rule for 2019.

So instead of the call is upheld unless replay has conclusive proof it should be reversed, the targeting call is overturned unless review can conclusively  confirm it. Targeting is such a stiff penalty, I like that.

• Like (+1) 3

Question #8

On a Try from B’s 8 yard line, A2 takes the snap, advances to B’s 4 yard and fumbles.  The fumble rolls into B’s endzone, where B1 bats the ball across the end line.  This is a foul for illegal batting in the endzone and results in a 1 point safety for Team A.

True or False

27 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

Question #8

On a Try from B’s 8 yard line, A2 takes the snap, advances to B’s 4 yard and fumbles.  The fumble rolls into B’s endzone, where B1 bats the ball across the end line.  This is a foul for illegal batting in the endzone and results in a 1 point safety for Team A.

True or False

True, I think. It seems a variant of a conversion safety???? But why is there a try from the 8? Is that some other rule?

21 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

Question #8

True or False

True

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

True, I think. It seems a variant of a conversion safety???? But why is there a try from the 8? Is that some other rule?

Had a 5 yard penalty from previous play that was a try.  But that is immaterial.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, Zebra Frog said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4LXXVdPCTM

Dean Blandino explains the new targeting rule for 2019.

I actually appreciated the further definition of a defenseless player. Had never heard it defines as someone in the act of throwing a pass or someone in the act of catching a ball.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:34 PM, Zebra Frog said:

Question #8

True or False

False

All good guesses, but wrong.  The foul for illegal batting is enforced from the end of the run, which is the B-4 yard line.  The try will be replayed from the B-2 (half the distance from the goal line).

• Thanks (+1) 3