Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TCU Baseball 2019-2020 OFF-SEASON Thread

4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

2020 Schedule is out: LINK

Frogs open with a home weekend series against Kentucky that starts on Valentine's Day.

On the road at Minnesota in February. Do they have a dome?

6 minutes ago, Burner said:

On the road at Minnesota in February. Do they have a dome?

US-Bank_95.jpg

They play early season games at U.S. Bank Stadium.

• Upvote (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'll be staying over to go to that game Sunday. Should be great weather and a chance to see all the new Frogs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Burner said:

I'll be staying over to go to that game Sunday. Should be great weather and a chance to see all the new Frogs.

Tell us all about it, Burner!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unfortunately, no.  Family health issues (neither me nor Mrs. Turk) are keeping us occupied right now.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Unfortunately, no.  Family health issues (neither me nor Mrs. Turk) are keeping us occupied right now.

Hoping for the best.

31 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you have good news soon.

5 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Prayers your way my friend!

I was only there for part of it, and was having to pay more attention to my rowdy youngster than the action on the field - but from what I could tell, this was the starting lineup:

C: Humphreys

1B: Gene Wood (Sr transfer from Alabama)

2B: Bobby Goodloe

SS: Tommy Sacco (Juco transfer)

3B: Conner Shepherd

RF: Phillip Sikes (Juco transfer)

CF: Sam Thompson (Freshman)

LF: Porter Brown 

DH: Austin Henry

The pitchers I saw on the hill were Jacob Meador (freshman), Johnny Ray (Juco transfer) and Jacob Speaker (freshman).  I left before he took the mound, but saw a tweet that indicated that Harrison Beethe (Juco transfer) came in throwing gas.

It was 6-3 Texas State when I left, which was probably about the end of the 6th.

Pretty good crowd out there, by the way.

• Thanks (+1) 2

I left after 12 innings, don't know how many they played. Texas State was ahead 9-7 when I called it a day. It was a beautiful day and a pretty good crowd. Lupton is a great facility.

Our batting order was:

Porter Brown, lf

Tommy Sacco, ss

Austin Henry, DH

Gene Wood, 1b

Zach Humphreys, c

Conner Shepherd, 3b

Phillip Sikes, rf

Bobby Goodloe, 2b

Sam Thompson, cf

Cole Johnson, DH

(yes, 10 starters, it was a practice game)

After 9 innings, Henry went to 1b, Johnson to 2b, Gray Rodgers to 3b and Kurtis Byrne to c.

Most pitchers threw 2 innings. Riley Cornelio started, gave up one run, was consistent at 90-91 on the scoreboard gun. Johnny Ray, Drew Hill, Chuck King, Harrison Beethe and Marcelo Perez were all bringing it at 95-97. Ray pretty wild and gave up 3 runs. Hill showed a good curve and threw shutout ball, as did Beethe and Perez. King had a good inning, in his second he gave up an error, walk, single, then a bases clearing double. Jacob Speaker had a good curve and I would say was effectively wild. Cal Coughlin faced two batters, gave up a walk and a double.

The hitters generally struggled. Shepherd had an RBI double and a fly out caught at the wall, the only thing remotely resembling power all day. Wood had a two-run single in the first. I think Thompson and Porter had hits late. We ran pretty well, I think 4 or 5 stolen bases with one caught.

Rodgers made the error. Goodloe missed a backhand of what would have been a double play ball but it was rightly ruled a hit. Byrne looked good behind the plate, he struck out in his only at bat I saw. I don't think TSU tried to steal at all.

My impression is we may have pretty good pitching, and we're going to need it. Of course, I didn't see everyone.

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 10/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, Feeling Froggy said:

Hoping for the best.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, PurpleDawg said:

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you have good news soon.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:05 AM, Senor Ballistico said:

Prayers your way my friend!

Many thanks for the thoughts and prayers. 

Mrs. Turk’s mom, a fervent armchair head coach, athletic director, and in-depth talent analyst for TCU Athletics, passed away peacefully at the age of 90 Monday afternoon after a short illness.  She had been in hospice for several days, and frankly, no one expected her to last more than a day or two.  However,  she kept to her own schedule and, against all expectations, hung around long enough to watch one more win over the Longhorns.

And THAT, my friends, is how you want to depart this earthly realm.

Rest in peace.  And Dottie would want me to add: Go Frogs.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Dottie's Horned Frogs sent her on her way with a smile in her heart. Please know you and Mrs. Turk are in our thoughts, @Newbomb Turk. 💜

• Upvote (+1) 1