Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirdFrog

The Watch Thread

Because I'm procrastinating (again) at work. Thought I may start a thread on watches- luxury, vintage, cheap, whatever!

I think I've always been "into" watches. As a kid I saved up and bought a stainless steel fossil sports watch with the chrono dials. It was probably $75-$100 but man I thought I was cool!  Not ever sure what happened to that thing. As I got older and into my teens and early 20's I never stopped liking watches I just didn't have the time, or the money to really commit to it. Plus I never really wore jewelry. 

Fast forward to 5-6 years ago I realized my Grandad (Mom's Dad) was also very into watches having owned 20+ Rolexs and Omegas over the years.

I started buying "cheaper" swiss and American watches at the $200-$300 price point. A few I've really liked, a few not so much. But I always had my eyes on true "luxury" watch. Before I could buy one myself, my wife got me Rolex Submariner, circa 2005. I freaking love it. Wear it almost daily.

Since then, I've inherited an 18k Gold Rolex Day Date (the President) from the above Grandad, circa 1974, that is at the Rolex service center in Dallas getting serviced.

I've now got the "bug". Which sucks, because it's an expensive hobby buttttt they do typically hold value. If not increase in value.

Anyone else into watches? Right now I've got my eyes on a 1960's vintage Omega SeaMaster and would love a Rolex GMT master "pepsi" with a Jubilee bracelet but that might be a few more years.

Will post pics soon!

I've lost every watch I've ever owned.  Wore my Dad's Rolex for a while after inheriting it, but knew I'd end up losing it so I traded it to my brother.

1 minute ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I've lost every watch I've ever owned.  Wore my Dad's Rolex for a while after inheriting it, but knew I'd end up losing it so I traded it to my brother.

You really think you'd lose your Dad's rolex? What model was it? do you recall? 

23 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

You really think you'd lose your Dad's rolex? What model was it? do you recall? 

Not like I'd want to lose it, but I knew my track record and knew I'd be upset with myself.  Dunno the model.  It was gold.