Sign in to follow this  
MercenaryLibrarian

That thread about trading cards

Ok, so this is a bit of a vanity thread I guess, but it seems like it might be fun to share images of the trading cards I've collected over the past 9 years or so. There will be some names that will be obvious (for instance, LaDainian Tomlinson has nearly 7000 cards of his own) and there will be some that you may have to dig into the dusty files of your brain to remember. 
I'm going to try and post daily, but I can almost guarantee that won't be the norm. Additionally, I'll try and provide little tidbits of trivia about whatever card gets posted. My plan is to largely stick to cards featuring whatever sport is currently going, but with overlap and such, that might not be a definite thing. 
If you have a request, throw it out there. The only real rule about that is that it needs to be of someone that made it to the professional level in some capacity (minor league ball counts, AAF, independent leagues, foreign leagues, whatever).
Hopefully this will be entertaining in some way for most of you. At any rate, it's my silly hobby and I'd just like to share it with somebody.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Card of the day for May 25th, 2019:

Kevin Cron - 2015 Grandstand/Team Issue Visalia Rawhide

large.2015GCron.jpg.a4ee8cad00799066b279e80f46502da8.jpg             large.2015GCronB.jpg.c491fac2a4458295a789244a29a820fd.jpg

In honor of his first call-up and first major league hit, I dug out Cron's first card as a pro. Grandstand is a company you'll see frequently when it comes to minor league cards. They (and another company that goes by Choice) provide the majority of minor league cards. Typically, these are given away as promotional team sets at one of the team's home games. They are often tough to track down but at the same time, they also don't have the same degree of demand as the big boys, like Topps, so even though it might be the ACTUAL first trading card of a player, it isn't considered a "rookie card" and are often ignored by collectors.
Me, I love minor league cards. I actually enjoy them more than the major league cards just because of the novelty aspect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This thread is awesome, ML! I'm looking forward to seeing your collection.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I still have my box of 80's ear common cards. Nothing spectacular. But filed under sports memorabilia, I do have a small bat signed by Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Herb Pennock.

• Like (+1) 2

Great thread idea! Where do you find a lot of these cards?

also. Are most of your cards of TCU athletes? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Great thread idea! Where do you find a lot of these cards?

also. Are most of your cards of TCU athletes? 

eBay is probably my primary, but I also use COMC (Check Out My Cards), Beckett Marketplace, SportLots, and then random searches on Google to see if I can find oddball sellers that might have what I'm looking for. 

TCU folks are the majority of my collection, but I also have several other collections I work on:
People that went to my high school, Arlington (TX) Martin (such as Todd Van Poppel, Ben Grieve, Myles Garrett. Jantzen Witte went there too and so he's one of a few that are in both my major collections)
Pete Incaviglia
Dennis Bergkamp (and other Arsenal players)
Vinnie Jones
Manon Rheaume
Baseball Movie cards
The Titanic
and some other random ones

• Like (+1) 1

Card of the day for May 26th, 2019:

Riley Ferrell - 2015 Panini Contenders #23 (Variation Image) Draft Ticket serial numbered to 99

large.2015PCFerrell23bDTx99.jpg.16a5a5d3b9d492de7ffda2b09e4b77da.jpg      large.2015PCFerrell23bDTx99B.jpg.b6d27bf1a90f9038778d8ec6af74a179.jpg

One thing you learn if you start delving into the world of trading cards is that it is a pain in the ass to collect these days, especially if you have an obsessive personality. Back before the 1990's, collecting was pretty straight forward. You'd have a handful of sets, typically Topps, Donruss, and Fleer with Score and Upper Deck coming in later, and within each set, you typically had one card of each player, possibly two if they were a big star. And they printing numbers were usually pretty much equal across all cards. You might have to buy a bunch of packs of cards, but you had a pretty good chance of getting the players you liked for not a ton of money.
But that all changed in the 90's. Along with comic books (and things like Beanie Babies, and other collectibles), the speculators started to drive the hobby. Soon, everybody was doing serial number limited edition short printed autographed with pieces of memorabilia cards that were difficult to come by. The price of a pack of cards shot up and the whole thing pretty much stopped being pure kid fun. That's the way the hobby stands today. You still have your basic cards, but virtually every basic card has a bunch of variations either with different color borders, some special effect, or different pictures. Then there are tons of subsets including autographed cards, cards with a piece of jersey in them, or some other limited edition dohickey that makes it more desirable. You'll get to see all kinds of examples of this as we go along.
Panini is basically the only real competition to Topps these days. Panini has numerous brands and sets out there, such as their "Contenders" set. This set traditionally shows players, both pro and prospect, in college uniforms or some other pre-professional role, like Team USA. This is a dual variation for Riley. His base card has a different picture than this one. Additionally, this is a "Draft Ticket" variation that is limited to just 99 made. And it has a nifty autograph.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Card of the day for May 28th, 2019:

J.J. Henry - 2001 Upper Deck Tour Threads #TT-JJ
2001 Upper Deck - Tour Threads #TT-JJ J.J. Henry Front 2001 Upper Deck - Tour Threads #TT-JJ J.J. Henry Back

J.J. did fairly well at the Colonial (it's the Colonial dammit, I don't care what stupid sponsor they have) this year, tying for 27th at -1. This card features a swatch from a shirt he supposedly wore at some point. I don't know if he actually played golf wearing the shirt or if he was standing in the Upper Deck offices and just putting on shirts and then taking them off, but I guess this swatch possibly has J.J. Henry DNA on it. 
Two pieces of trivia about J.J. and me:
1. We were both at TCU at the same time, although I didn't know him
2. I finally met him at the Colonial a few years back. I was trying to catch him after his round so I could get an autograph, but I missed him. Kinda bummed me out. But then, when we were heading back to where our ride was picking us up, we stopped at the charity lemonade stand that pops up every year. Turns out, they were collecting for J.J.'s charity, Henry House. Also turned out, he was hanging out at the lemonade stand when we got there. So I got a golf ball signed and chatted for a bit. Nice guy.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, MercenaryLibrarian said:

Card of the day for May 28th, 2019:

J.J. Henry - 2001 Upper Deck Tour Threads #TT-JJ
2001 Upper Deck - Tour Threads #TT-JJ J.J. Henry Front 2001 Upper Deck - Tour Threads #TT-JJ J.J. Henry Back

J.J. did fairly well at the Colonial (it's the Colonial dammit, I don't care what stupid sponsor they have) this year, tying for 27th at -1. This card features a swatch from a shirt he supposedly wore at some point. I don't know if he actually played golf wearing the shirt or if he was standing in the Upper Deck offices and just putting on shirts and then taking them off, but I guess this swatch possibly has J.J. Henry DNA on it. 
Two pieces of trivia about J.J. and me:
1. We were both at TCU at the same time, although I didn't know him
2. I finally met him at the Colonial a few years back. I was trying to catch him after his round so I could get an autograph, but I missed him. Kinda bummed me out. But then, when we were heading back to where our ride was picking us up, we stopped at the charity lemonade stand that pops up every year. Turns out, they were collecting for J.J.'s charity, Henry House. Also turned out, he was hanging out at the lemonade stand when we got there. So I got a golf ball signed and chatted for a bit. Nice guy.

Okay, so I'm going to tread lightly here as I know there are a lot of JJ fans around Fort Worth and TCU. But I legit had never heard of the guy until probably 2012, most likely on a TCU message board. So what is the big deal with him? Just because he was on the tour? Doesn't look like he's had a ton of success or anything. When he did the Riff Ram video a while back, I was like "who"?

Anyway, not trying to be rude. Just curious. 

I was a pretty big card collector as a kid, starting in the late-80s and into the mid-90s.  Almost entirely baseball, but several complete sets ... a Carlton Fisk rookie probably the crown jewel.  I was a huge baseball nerd, reading every baseball book I could get my hands on.  I destroyed countless trees playing simulated seasons on the generically named Computer Baseball game on my Commodore 64 and printing out the statistics onto my parents' dot matrix printer.

When I was collecting, my mother revealed to me that she was a collector at a similar age, back in the mid-to-late 50's.  Then she told me a tale that traumatized me to my soul.  As a girl in Fort Worth in the 1950's, the Texas Rangers did not exist and so as kids west of the Mississippi did, she adopted a team.  From what I understand, a lot of westerners adopted the Cardinals as the closest team, but my mom, a front-runner, adopted the Yankees.  So she told me she would buy a pack of cards, open it, keep all the Yankees, and throw the rest in the trash.  So I'm envisioning my yet-to-be mother, opening a pack of cards ... Bob Cerv, keep ... Stan Musial, trash ... Tom Sturdivant, keep ... Jackie Robinson, trash ... Bobby Shantz, keep ... Willie Mays, trash ... hundreds of 1987 dollars unwittingly sent to the landfill back in 1958. 

But despite this atrocity, at least my dear mother must have saved for me a treasure trove of Mantles, Berras, and Fords, right?  Alas, no ... they were ultimately thrown into the same landfill, once puberty and boys came into the picture and she cast aside her childish things in pursuit of adulthood.

So I swore to myself then that I would not do to my children what my mother did to me.  And in my attic right this very minute sits thousands of baseball cards that I saved for my children ... who could not give two shits about professional baseball or the cards that I lovingly saved for them, not even knowing who they would be.

Maybe, one day, my grandchildren will want them ...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Okay, so I'm going to tread lightly here as I know there are a lot of JJ fans around Fort Worth and TCU. But I legit had never heard of the guy until probably 2012, most likely on a TCU message board. So what is the big deal with him? Just because he was on the tour? Doesn't look like he's had a ton of success or anything. When he did the Riff Ram video a while back, I was like "who"?

Anyway, not trying to be rude. Just curious. 

He was runner-up for the national collegiate title back in 1998 so that kind of solidified him as a TCU legend of sorts. He's had moderate success as a pro, but mostly his claim to pro fame is just having a 20+ year career as a pro. He was on the US National team for the Ryder cup in 2006 and has 20 appearances in the big 4. 
Yeah, he's not a superstar, but he's a Frog that has succeeded making a career as a pro.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I was a pretty big card collector as a kid, starting in the late-80s and into the mid-90s.  Almost entirely baseball, but several complete sets ... a Carlton Fisk rookie probably the crown jewel.  I was a huge baseball nerd, reading every baseball book I could get my hands on.  I destroyed countless trees playing simulated seasons on the generically named Computer Baseball game on my Commodore 64 and printing out the statistics onto my parents' dot matrix printer.

When I was collecting, my mother revealed to me that she was a collector at a similar age, back in the mid-to-late 50's.  Then she told me a tale that traumatized me to my soul.  As a girl in Fort Worth in the 1950's, the Texas Rangers did not exist and so as kids west of the Mississippi did, she adopted a team.  From what I understand, a lot of westerners adopted the Cardinals as the closest team, but my mom, a front-runner, adopted the Yankees.  So she told me she would buy a pack of cards, open it, keep all the Yankees, and throw the rest in the trash.  So I'm envisioning my yet-to-be mother, opening a pack of cards ... Bob Cerv, keep ... Stan Musial, trash ... Tom Sturdivant, keep ... Jackie Robinson, trash ... Bobby Shantz, keep ... Willie Mays, trash ... hundreds of 1987 dollars unwittingly sent to the landfill back in 1958. 

But despite this atrocity, at least my dear mother must have saved for me a treasure trove of Mantles, Berras, and Fords, right?  Alas, no ... they were ultimately thrown into the same landfill, once puberty and boys came into the picture and she cast aside her childish things in pursuit of adulthood.

So I swore to myself then that I would not do to my children what my mother did to me.  And in my attic right this very minute sits thousands of baseball cards that I saved for my children ... who could not give two shits about professional baseball or the cards that I lovingly saved for them, not even knowing who they would be.

Maybe, one day, my grandchildren will want them ...

I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna do with my collection. My son is 7 and doesn't show much interest in sports. He knows I really like TCU and he asks about them sometimes, but he doesn't show much interest otherwise. My sister has no kids and nobody else in my extended family shows any interest in card collecting.
I've had the semi-serious goal of one day trying to make a book that takes a look at TCU through its representation on "cardboard" but I don't know if that will ever happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, MercenaryLibrarian said:

He was runner-up for the national collegiate title back in 1998 so that kind of solidified him as a TCU legend of sorts. He's had moderate success as a pro, but mostly his claim to pro fame is just having a 20+ year career as a pro. He was on the US National team for the Ryder cup in 2006 and has 20 appearances in the big 4. 
Yeah, he's not a superstar, but he's a Frog that has succeeded making a career as a pro.

Answers my question. Thanks! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, MercenaryLibrarian said:

I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna do with my collection. My son is 7 and doesn't show much interest in sports. He knows I really like TCU and he asks about them sometimes, but he doesn't show much interest otherwise. My sister has no kids and nobody else in my extended family shows any interest in card collecting.
I've had the semi-serious goal of one day trying to make a book that takes a look at TCU through its representation on "cardboard" but I don't know if that will ever happen.

7 is pretty young still. He might eventually get into sports. Especially as he gets a little older. You ever take him to TCU games?

8 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

7 is pretty young still. He might eventually get into sports. Especially as he gets a little older. You ever take him to TCU games?

Sometimes, at least baseball games. He acts all excited and then we get there. He plows through a bucket of popcorn and then gets bored so we usually only make it 3 or 4 innings. He likes to cheer and yell when other people do and he'll yell "Go Frogs!" occasionally, but he definitely doesn't know what's going on.
Now if TCU had a Minecraft team...

1 hour ago, MercenaryLibrarian said:

Probably the best touring pro since the days of Charles Coody and Don Massengale.  To stay on the tour as long as he has is quite an accomplishment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, MercenaryLibrarian said:

Hang on to it my friend.  My son came out of the same mold as yours.  

Many years latter, God blessed me with many grandsons!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Card of the day for May 30th, 2019:

Mitchell Benson - 1992 Wild Card #400

1992 Wild Card #400 Mitchell Benson Front 1992 Wild Card #400 Mitchell Benson Back

It's Mitchell Benson's birthday (b. May 30th, 1967)! Happy 52nd birthday!
Wild Card was one of the earliest sets that were really more gimmick than substance. In addition to the base card (like the one above), there were 6 additional variants for each player in the set. They were identical to the base card but included a diagonal black stripe in the lower left corner with a shiny number in the middle. The gimmick was that if you got one of these "striped" cards, you could send it in and Wild Card would send you the same number of base cards for that player based on the number on the stripe. The numbers on the stripes were 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, and 1000. So, if you pulled a "50 stripe" from a pack of cards, you could get 50 base cards of that corresponding player.
I don't know how many people actually sent their redemption cards in to get a bunch of base cards, but it seemed goofy at the time. Holding onto the striped redemption card was a better investment bet as it was significantly rarer than the base card. I mean, looking around, those base cards are all selling for $.50 or less but the stripes, depending on the player and number value, can really get up there. I've actually got all 6 of the stripes for this card, but I only had an image of the base card ready to go.

• Like (+1) 3

This is my favorite thread since the one about a lottery winner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@MercenaryLibrarian has this scandal touched your collection?

Baseball card collectors suspect rampant fraud in their hobby.

The green stadium seats shown on the baseball card are empty as Stan Musial, wearing a crisp white uniform, grips a bat and digs in. His eyes gaze toward the pitcher over his right shoulder, his white teeth peeking out from under a grin. It's almo...
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/2019/07/baseball-card-collectors-suspected-rampant-fraud-in-their-hobby.html

6 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

@MercenaryLibrarian has this scandal touched your collection?

Baseball card collectors suspect rampant fraud in their hobby.

The green stadium seats shown on the baseball card are empty as Stan Musial, wearing a crisp white uniform, grips a bat and digs in. His eyes gaze toward the pitcher over his right shoulder, his white teeth peeking out from under a grin. It's almo...
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/2019/07/baseball-card-collectors-suspected-rampant-fraud-in-their-hobby.html

Doubtful. Most of the cards I deal in aren't on most peoples' must have lists that would be worth the time and effort to counterfeit or alter them. 

And btw, I haven't forgotten about this thread. Work has just been super busy and I haven't had a chance to scan cards.

• Upvote (+1) 2