Sign in to follow this  
Senor Ballistico

The official 2019 TCU Football countdown thread

1 hour ago, Feeling Froggy said:

$16.85 in 2019 dollars according to an online inflation calculator.

Or roughly half price of a typical brand new 2019 vinyl record. Most new pressings run about $30-35.

And the value of that $0.65 tomorrow would turn into $35,000+ in current money if the right particular record was purchased.

That's just crazy considering people were starving then. But, I guess it was the wealthy folks buying the phonographs and records, those who didn't lose everything in late October 1929.

• Upvote (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

That's just crazy considering people were starving then. But, I guess it was the wealthy folks buying the phonographs and records, those who didn't lose everything in late October 1929.

Yeah. But you want really bad? In 1931, a V16 Cadillac cost $6500+. And they sold more than one. Go through the list for Rolls, Cord, Pierce Arrow, Peerless, etc.

For frivolous toys of the era, music was bad, but far from the worst.

Not to digress from the countdown, but I was just looking for more Norm Bulaich pics and ran across this one ... two Horned Frog greats battling it out in Super Bowl V ... wish I'd found this either 5 or 43 days ago ...

Dallas Cowboys vs Baltimore Colts, Super Bowl V : News Photo

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Not to digress from the countdown, but I was just looking for more Norm Bulaich pics and ran across this one ... two Horned Frog greats battling it out in Super Bowl V ... wish I'd found this either 5 or 43 days ago ...

Dallas Cowboys vs Baltimore Colts, Super Bowl V : News Photo

Were those two teammates at TCU?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Were those two teammates at TCU?

No, Lilly was 7.5 years older.  Bulaich graduated in '69, Lilly in '60.  Super Bowl V was basically at the end of Lilly's career and the beginning of Bulaich's ...

Apologies and a warning... Heavy rambling below!

This is another long-winded post with a bit more of a narrowed beam than the typical format I have been following (save Robert Johnson's three posts.) As with Robert, there are several other great  releases for this year that I am withholding, in order to dedicate the post to just one musician.

In 2013, one of only two (or possibly three) of the known copies of this 1930 released 78rpm went up for sale on eBay. The winning bid was $37,100, and went to the then current owner of one of the other copies...

rare-tommy-johnson-alcohol-and-jake-blue

And...

rare-tommy-johnson-alcohol-and-jake-blue

Price be damned, 'Alcohol and Jake Blues' was Tommy's (no relation to Robert, either) best tune, in my opinion. And he had several other really good tunes!

(Jake is Jamacian Ginger extract, and was marketed and sold as a medicinal tonic since around the Civil War. It was typically of about 70% alcohol and a means of skirting Prohibition laws. In the spring of 1930, the manufacturers of jake started adding tri-ortho-cresyl phosphate to make it easier and cheaper to produce by diluting the concentration of more expensive high proof alcohol. This lead to some serious health problems, specifically with the spinal cord. Tommy Johnson was already a noted alcoholic and jake user by 1929 when he recorded the song, but would suffer the later years of his life, until his death in 1956, by the poisoning of the later incarnation of jake.)

That $37k copy was supposed to be the superior copy. The "cheaper" copy (it still last sold for thousands of dollars), or possibly a different copy that hasn't been publicly identified, was used to provide the track on the Document Records DOCD-5001 CD release in the 1990s. (Link to Document's page for it.)

DOCD-5001.jpg?w=555&ssl=1

That CD version of the 78 rip (unfortunately, I can not publicly post it) is still better sounding to my ear than the highly compressed audio of the $37k copy on YouTube. Not that 1920s or 1930s recording equipment and shellacs are really anything close to "high fidelity", but the "YouTube sound" is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Tommy Johnson's version of 'Canned Heat Blues' was responsible for the inspiration of the later band Canned Heat's name. He was also the basis, loosely, of the character of the same name in O Brother Where Art Thou?.

The same selling the soul to the devil at the crossroads legend of Robert Johnson lore was attributed to Tommy, but the first noted mention of it didn't happen until the 1960s after Robert was rediscovered. Take it for whatever you personally feel it is worth, and whatever level of spirituality you hold. And that applies for either of them, but really Tommy. (My skepticism about it is that a few of Tommy's friends were fabricating it to garner him some fame off Robert's curtails and while his posthumous resurgence was riding a high wave.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Image result for derrick kindred cleveland browns

Derrick Kindred, 2016 Browns

Image result for drew coleman new york jets

Drew Coleman, 2006-10 Jets ...

Image result for drew coleman jacksonville jaguars

... and 2011 Jaguars

Image result for jack spikes dallas texans

Jack Spikes, 1960-62 Texans ...

Image result for jack spikes kansas city chiefs

... and 1963-64 Chiefs

Image result for bobby jack floyd chicago bears

Bobby Jack Floyd, 1953 Bears (front row, third from right)

Image result for 1991 detroit lions

Cedric Jackson, 1991 Lions.  I couldn't find a picture of him playing, but there are several pics of him attending an anniversary celebration (20th or 25th, not sure).

Image result for goo kennedy houston rockets

In his final appearance in the countdown, Goo Kennedy, 1977 Rockets

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

The preseason Coaches poll is out this morning and we didn't even get one vote.  OU is 4th, Texas 9th, West Virginia 22nd.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Jared said:

The preseason Coaches poll is out this morning and we didn't even get one vote.  OU is 4th, Texas 9th, West Virginia 22nd.

Good.  We have (almost, 2010 a notable exception) always done our best when no one is paying attention.  Tim Tebow needs to shut his damn mouth.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Our current 30:

9289768.jpg

Garrett Wallow

A few memorable 30s:

hobbs.jpg

Lonta Hobbs

CyIo_04VQAAM6wA.jpg

Denzel Johnson

Aundre+Dean+TCU+v+Texas+L_Rx1hS62QPl.jpg

Aundre Dean

Don_Looney.jpg

Don Looney

A few bonus 30s:

ny_a_larry-brown_mb_1296x729.jpg

TCU's own Larry Brown, Super Bowl XXX MVP

cowboys-ctk-playercoach-dan-reeves-rushe

Dan Reeves

Bengie+Molina+Neftali+Feliz+New+York+Yan

Neftali Feliz after A-Rod went down LOOKIN'

1069687316.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Ben Bishop

1927_calvin_coolidge_ap_328.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

Image result for lyle blackwood cincinnati bengals

Lyle Blackwood, 1973-75 Bengals

Image result for curtis fuller seattle seahawks

Curtis Fuller, 2001-02 Seahawks ...

Image result for curtis fuller green bay packers

... and 2003-04 Packers

Image result for derrick cullors

Derrick Cullors, 1997-98 Patriots

Image result for brandon finnegan cincinnati reds

Brandon Finnegan, 2016-18 Reds

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Our current 29:

Armstrong_Thomas_14.JPG?width=300

Thomas Armstrong

A few memorable 29s:

35cb442b-8553-53b0-ad43-8157b33b790e.ima

Stephen Hodge

tcu_tucker_matthew.jpg?1344481922

Matthew Tucker

TCU-football-Josh-Doctson-catches-fire-f

Josh Doctson caught a school-record 29 touchdown passes

BrandonFinneganTCU.jpg

Brandon FInnegan

the-tcu-horned-frogs-celebrate-29-aaron-

Aaron Schultz celebrating his go-ahead HR in Game 3 of the 2010 Super Regional in Austin.

A few bonus 29s:

943980558.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Adrian Beltre

26_850_demarcomurray.jpg?itok=xPxBPsaO

DeMarco Murray

latest?cb=20081006031305

Rusty Greer

121102125459-29-warren-harding-president

• Like (+1) 4

17 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Definitely not #2.

Whatttt??? The all purple is my fav

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Whatttt??? The all purple is my fav

I've never been a fan of the single color uniform, no matter the color.  The pants and the shirt should be different colors ...

19 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Definitely not #2.

Dallas Moaning News quotes GP as saying players need to earn the right to wear the "purple and black"....I guess then all sports and spirit organizations will have to scramble quickly to get uniforms without the formerly official white....After all, I read it on the innernet and Patterson said it, so the official school colors are now black and purple....

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HEBFrogfan said:

Dallas Moaning News quotes GP as saying players need to earn the right to wear the "purple and black"....I guess then all sports and spirit organizations will have to scramble quickly to get uniforms without the formerly official white....After all, I read it on the innernet and Patterson said it, so the official school colors are now black and purple....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😡😡😡😡😡

• Like (+1) 1

Later than usual, but here goes. And there will be more repeats of artists than normal for the next 10 days; my well just doesn't go that deep in the 1920s.

In my opinion, the best Texan (Coutchman - I had to look this one up) to sing the blues, at least until Sam Hopkins came along. He died of mysterious circumstances on December 19, 1929.

Blindlemonjeffersoncirca1926.jpg

And two of my favorites, from 1929. Side A...

blind-lemon-jefferson-lectric-chair-blue

Side B...

blind-lemon-jefferson-see-that-my-grave-

Bonus...

Tefteller-2016-Blues-Calendar-web-300x30

Huge hit for him...

78_charlie_patton_11FULL.jpg

A film appearance by the biggest name in blues through the decade. (Warning: Contains typical of the day racist bullshit, but worth trudging through to see Bessie belt it out.)...

Most of her tunes were focused on only one subject. And she did covering it great!

January 25, 1929...

bessie-smith-slow-and-easy-man-columbia-

June 21, 1929...

bessie-smith-im-wild-about-that-thing-co

July 19, 1929...

bessie-smith-i-got-what-it-takes-but-it-

In 1929, a few labels got their start. I will just link to a Wiki page for a rundown of their history, and post the earliest records I have found (if any at all).

American Record Corporation...

Decca...

Decca_1929_Sea_Drift.jpg

PolyGram...

(The oldest I have found solely under the PolyGram name is from 1980.)

lumbago-gi-meg-noe-ekte-polygram-s.jpg

Sony...

(The bigger the name, the harder it is to find the first or an early release.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

February 3, 1928...

duke-ellington-and-his-orchestra-creole-

May 20, 1928 (Yes, she is still singing about that one subject)...

bessie-smith-empty-bed-blues-part-1-colu

August 15, 1928...

louis-armstrong-and-his-hot-five-west-en

Also from August 1928...

blind-lemon-jefferson-piney-woods-money-

November 15, 1928...

hound-head-henry-freight-train-special-v

(The pianist on this is Cow Cow Davenport, who would go on to make a name for himself in the piano blues.)

Sears Roebuck & Co. brought out their Conqueror record label in 1928. The pressings were supposedly average sounding at best, and the correct speed for them was supposed to be 80rpm (to try to make up for the bad shellac they used). The oldest pressing I have been able to find...

frank-fereras-hawaiians-my-blue-ridge-mo

• Like (+1) 1

blackwood2.jpg

Lyle Blackwood, 1976 Seahawks

dec-1999-basil-mitchell-of-the-green-bay

Basil Mitchell, 1999-2000 Packers

s-l1000.jpg

Tony Jeffery, 1998 Cardinals (4th row, 4th from left)

Bryan+Holaday+Miami+Marlins+vs+Tampa+Bay

Bryan Holaday, 2018-present Marlins

afdf4664f415a1b657d83305d115107b.jpg

Tex Carleton wore 28 for the 1940 Dodgers

Celtics%2066-67%20Home%20Gary%20Turner%2

Gary Turner was drafted by but never got in a game for the 1966 Celtics. He did play in a few games for the ABA Houston Mavericks but I dont know what number he wore and I didn't find a picture ...

• Like (+1) 2