Sign in to follow this  
Senor Ballistico

The official 2019 TCU Football countdown thread

A bit of the calm before the approaching storm. And foreshadowing...

billie-holiday-tell-me-more-okeh-78.jpg

Fixin'_to_Die_Blues_single_cover.jpg

For labels, I have nothing that relates to Texas or Texan musicians, but in 1940 Ammor Records was established. They only lasted a few months but were the first label to record Nat King Cole. Their first release...

larry-breese-carry-me-back-to-old-virgin

Sears Roebuck & Co. briefly revived their own label in 1940. It vanished after the War broke out. A 1940 version of the Silvertone label...

salon-orchestra-minuet-in-g-silvertone-7

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

KURT THOMAS DAY!!! One and only one Frog pro has worn #40, but man, did he wear it ...

s-l300.jpg

1997 Heat

dallas-maverick-kurt-thomas-has-the-bask

1998 Mavs

nov-2001-kurt-thomas-of-the-new-york-kni

1999-05, 2013 Knicks

c813eb739a11893

2006-07 Suns

?m=02&d=20080722&t=2&i=5276181&w=&fh=545

2008-09 Spurs

forward-kurt-thomas-of-the-milwaukee-buc

2010 Bucks

kurt-thomasjpg-91cfad79b30b2126.jpg

2011 Bulls

kurt-thomas-of-the-portland-trail-blazer

2012 Blazers

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Our current 40:

2cP_ui6x_400x400.jpg

Parker Workman

A few memorable 40s:

Chik+fil+Peach+Bowl+Mississippi+v+TCU+N-

James McFarland

texas-christians-greg-burks-blocks-a-pun

Greg Burks

Kurt%20Thomas%202017.JPG

Kurt Thomas

128316-8564037Fr.jpg

Trey Teakell

4cdb2000f851a0d3c714bfe9722ef6b4.jpg

December 8, 2000 - Gary Patterson, age 40, takes over as head football coach at TCU

A few bonus 40s:

bokmhwhysvrlbpvfmrly.jpg

Bill Bates

Donaldson.jpg?fit=619,348

James Donaldson

hqdefault.jpg

The album I listened to practically non-stop in the 8th & 9th grades

reagan-funny-face.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

On 7/20/2019 at 6:26 PM, Duquesne Frog said:

usa_today_10504186.0.jpg

Colin Jones, 2012-present Panthers

Who would have ever guessed that of the players on the Rose Bowl team, Colin Jones would have the most NFL success outside of Andy Dalton.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Who would have ever guessed that of the players on the Rose Bowl team, Colin Jones would have the most NFL success outside of Andy Dalton.

Everyone always forgets the linemen.  Marcus Cannon has 3 Super Bowl rings and started in 2 of those games.  He also made 2nd team All-Pro.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The last I will post from him and what I feel is his best...

lead-belly-the-gallis-pole-musicraft-78-

The only image I could find of the Conqueror release of this Memphis Minnie 78 is in pretty rough shape and hard to read, but it is the A side of 'Bad Outside Friends'...

memphis-minnie-bad-outside-friends-conqu

Originally a traditional jazz label, Blue Note was founded in 1939. They would later branch out to be-bop and modern jazz, then soul, and R&B. The lowest catalog number I have found, released in 1940...

pete-johnson-blues-trio-barrelhouse-brea

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

A few memorable 39s:

776518.jpeg

Jason Phillips

cornerback-jason-goss-of-the-texas-chris

Jason Goss

39.jpg

L.D. Meyer

1938tcu_sugar.png

I'm not 100% sure this is from the same game, but TCU beat Carnegie Tech, 15-7, in the Sugar Bowl on January 2, 1939

ol-ki-aldrich_pg_600.jpg?format=1500w

Ki Aldrich, TCU center fresh off helping lead the Frogs to a national title, was the #1 overall pick in the 1939 NFL Draft by the Chicago Cardinals.  Davey O'Brien then went #4 to the Eagles and I.B. Hale went #8 to Washington.

A few bonus 39s:

Scott+Feldman+Texas+Rangers+v+Houston+As

Scooter Feldman

a59da418d6edf12896d6cf211ac43fb8.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Warning: There will not be much artist variety the next 3 days, with a heavy dose of rambling history.

Every album or track posted (or that will be posted) has been something that I listen to on a regular or semi-regular basis. (I also want to note that I never claimed to have good musical tastes, just varied - to the point of schizophrenia.) It is difficult for me to pick an overall favorite because I wander through a variety of musical moods and genres. But, if I were pressed hard to do so, either this or one of the postings for #27 would be it. Most likely this one from May of 1938, though...

RobertJohnson_MeAndDevilBlues_HA.jpg

On August 16, 1938, Robert Johnson was found dead on the side of a road outside of Greenwood, Mississippi. The cause of death is assumed to have been murder by poisoning or of congenital syphilis. Like most of his life, his death is shrouded in mystery. (There was nothing determined on the death certificate below.) What is not obscured by conjecture, limited documentation and the passage of time is the music he recorded, the impact it had across decades and genres, and the legend his death spawned.

In his lifetime, Johnson never reached the heights or success of some of the musicians that influenced him like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charlie Patton, Son House or Peetie Wheatstraw (heavily influenced the above track), but he did have a meaningful impact on Sonny Boy Williamson (the second one, that lived from 1912-1965), Chester Burnett (Howlin' Wolf) and Muddy Waters, among others. He was well known enough to be one of the musicians selected to perform at Carnegie Hall in From Spirituals to Swing (December 23, 1938), but he had come down with a mild case of death before the production began. He was replaced by Big Bill Broonzy in that show.

From the 1940s through the 1950s, Mr. Johnson was largely forgotten by the public. In 1961, record producer John Hammond convinced Columbia Records to put a Robert Johnson compilation album out. That album, King of the Delta Blues Singers, would ignite a popularity that surpassed any fame Johnson had in his lifetime. It started when Bob Dylan was given an advance copy. Some other artists of the era to discover and become influenced by Robert Johnson were Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Jim Morrison.

Robert Johnson is the grandfather of rock and roll and everything that followed after. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's first induction ceremony (1986) as an early influence on the genre. I am convinced that the birth of rock and roll - released 11 long years before Goree Carter recorded 'Rock Awhile' in Houston (April 1949) - was this March 20, 1938 release...

220px-Stop_Breakin'_Down_Blues_single_co

With the slightly ambiguous meaning of the lyrics in 'Cross Road Blues', and the more direct tone of 'Me and the Devil''s lyrical content, the Faustian legend of Johnson selling his soul to the Devil at the crossroads in exchange for the ability to play guitar was born. While he wasn't the first musician to die at the age of 27 (at least two others preceded him; Alexandre Levy and Louis Chauvin), he is often credited as being the father of the 27 Club, and the concept of the age of 27 for subsequent musicians dying being part of the curse of the deal Johnson made. (And for a Texas connection, Jesse Belvin (San Antonio), Janis Joplin (Port Arthur), and Fat Pat (Third Ward, Houston) all became members of the club when they died at the age of 27.)

His alleged death certificate...

Robert-Johnson-Death-Certificate.jpg

Elsewhere...

Commodore Records was formed in 1938 by Billy Crystal's grandfather, Milt Gabler. They were a jazz label most notable for releasing Billie Holiday's 'Strange Fruit' in 1939. Their first release...

bud-freeman-trio-you-took-advantage-of-m

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

WeklFrog would enjoy all of that Robert Johnson info and could probably add to it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PurpleDawg said:

WeklFrog would enjoy all of that Robert Johnson info and could probably add to it.

I have two more days of it, too. Y'all are screwed if you thought that was the end of it! 😂

• Haha  (+1) 2

layne0815.jpg

George Layne, 2002-04 Falcons ... and 2004 Chargers, bit no pic.

71vBSbI2+XL._SX425_.jpg

George Brown wore #38 for the 1950 New York Yanks.  This is not a picture of him but it is a picture of a program from that season ...

sam-demel-of-the-arizona-diamondbacks-pi

Sam Demel, 2010-12 D-Backs

• Like (+1) 2

A few memorable 38s:

footb.jpeg

George Layne

38.jpg

Tommy Joe Crutcher

Dike-58.jpg

Buddy Dike

jasoncoats_display_image.jpg

Jason Coats

38_O_Brien_with_Trophy.jpg?x95133

1938 Heisman Trophy winner, Davey O'Brien

A few bonus 38s:

Geovany+Soto+Ron+Washington+Tampa+Bay+Ra

The old school brutha

B2175-4.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

s-l1000.jpg

By Friday, the 18th of June, 1937, a group of recording engineers in the employ of Warner Brothers had traversed across the country to Dallas and settled into the third floor of 508 Park Avenue. Their makeshift studio also served as their temporary home while they took advantage of the recently acquired rights from the talent pools of Vocalion, Melotone, and Brunswick artists.

508front.jpg

They had already recorded The Light Crust Doughboys and Crystal Springs Ramblers on their trip. The Saturday morning of the 19th would see a quick session by Zeke Williams and his Rambling Cowboys record 'Breeze (Blow my Baby Back to Me)' and 'The Starlit Trail'. After lunch, they would begin the Robert Johnson session.

As the afternoon sun loomed overhead, and the temperatures soared on Saturday, the crew began the recording session. Eventually the heat would become so intense that they had all stripped down to their underwear.

The day only saw three songs recorded by Robert Johnson, plus alternate takes as an insurance policy against the wax masters being damaged before they could be put into production and pressings made. The more traditional blues tunes of 'Stones in my Passway' and 'I'm a Steady Rollin' Man' were accompanied by 'From Four Until Late', which was a bluesy crooning track that showcased the range of Johnson's vocals.

On Sunday, the 20th, there would be ten more tracks (plus alternates) recorded; 'Hell Hound on my Trail', 'Little Queen of Spades', 'Honeymoon Blues', 'Stop Breakin' Down Blues', 'Milkcow's Calf Blues', 'Drunken Hearted Man', 'Malted Milk', 'Traveling Riverside Blues', 'Love in Vain', and 'Me & the Devil Blues'.

This would be the last time Robert Johnson recorded.

This Perfect label version was released in September of 1937.

robert-johnson-hell-hound-on-my-trail-19

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

s-l300.jpg

Tommy Joe Crutcher wore #37 (front row) during his 1964 rookie season with the Packers

• Like (+1) 2

Our current 37:

DFW22230-1.jpg

Cole Bunce

A few memorable 37s:

large.jpg

Kelvin Newton

91127_fb111696_06.tif.preview.jpg?sequen

Jason Illian 

cottonbowlguepe.jpg

The very first Cotton Bowl game was played January 1, 1937.  TCU beat Marquette, 16-6.

1154283.jpeg

This is the only photo I could find from TCU's 37-0 win over New Mexico in November of '07

A few bonus 37s:

james-washington-2015-cowboys-e152038699

James Washington

latest?cb=20081013033543

Kenny Rogers

elvis-nixon.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=7

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

In 1936, cities and towns across Texas are celebrating 100 years of Texas Independence with exhibitions and parades. Construction of a monument of the Battle of San Jacinto begins in Harris County. The 1844 home of Dr. Anson Jones, the last President of the Republic of Texas, is relocated to the historic site of Washington-on-the-Brazos. The Gonzales Memorial Museum and Amphitheater are under construction to honor the defiant stand made on a creek bottom between Gonzales and Cost. But the major focus of the monument and memorial building campaign was to address the much neglected Alamo in San Antonio.

While the Daughters of the Republic of Texas had fixed the neglect and damage of the structure caused at the hands of the US Army the best they could, and gave it the now famous appearance (and historically inaccurate to the 1836 incarnation) of the facade, the building was in desperate need of a roof. The Centennial would prove to be the perfect time to address the issue. Along with fixing the roof and making it a monument, an expansion of the grounds, a multitude of plaques and a cenotaph would be erected.

This 1936 photograph shows the ongoing progress of the roofing.

Alamo+chapel+getting+roof+in+1936.jpg

Three blocks to the west of the hustle and bustle of this renovation project, along Houston Street, sits the Gunter Hotel. As the finishing touches are still being applied to the Alamo, in late November, a young lanky black Mississippi man walks into the Gunter with a guitar case.

card00142_fr.jpg

Unbeknownst to most people in the lobby, this man has the musical fluidity of Blind Lemon Jefferson's Texas/country blues singing and guitar playing, with the raw edginess of Charlie Patton's Delta blues. This makes for a truly special combination. And for the first time in his life, he will record his music.

In room number 414, record producer Don Law and a team of American Record Corporation recording engineers are only focused on doing a job and completely unaware of the role they will play in shaping the future of the music industry with their work over the next five days. The day is Monday, the date is November 23rd.

image.jpg

Young Mr. Johnson sits down and records eight songs (plus alternates) on Monday. Those songs are 'Phonograph Blues', '(I Believe I'll) Dust my Broom', 'Kindhearted Woman Blues', 'When You Got a Good Friend', 'Come on in my Kitchen', 'Rambling on my Mind', 'Terraplane Blues', and 'Sweet Home Chicago'.

There will be a break from recording taken for Tuesday and Wednesday. There is likely a bit of debauchery, and with heavy emphasis on the drinking, happening during these two days. On Thanksgiving Day, one song gets recorded; '32-20 Blues'.

Friday, the 27th, would be the final day of this recording session. The songs recorded are 'If I had Possession Over Judgment Day', 'Walking Blues', 'Dead Shrimp Blues', 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down', 'Preachin' Blues (Up Jumped the Devil)', 'They're Red Hot', and his most famous tune, 'Cross Road Blues'.

Just over 200 days, or around 5000 hours would pass before he recorded again, in Dallas.

The first 78 to be released from this session was the Hudson Automobile inspired tune ('Kindhearted Woman Blues' was the B-side) and missed 1936 by just a few days; it was released on January 4th, 1937...

robert-johnson-unknown-vocalion-78-s.jpg

However, this unrelated (but great track)  78 was released in 1936...

blind-boy-fuller-keep-away-from-my-woman

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

sep-1988-running-back-kenneth-davis-of-t

Kenneth Davis, 1986-88 Packers

9504205-vontarrius-dora-garrett-reynolds

Aaron Green, 2016 Rams ...

2570994.png&w=350&h=254

... 2017-18 Bills

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF8IXSBD63ctyH6c56Lai

Quincy Butler, 2006 Cowboys ...

quincy-butler-a595683c-614d-45b6-a797-f7

... and 08-10 Rams

afc-championship-1971-colts-raiders_norm

Norm Bulaich, 1970-72 Colts ...

s-l300.jpg

... and 73-74 Eagles

D7xj7ODXUAAJhW8.jpg

Derrick Kindred, 2019 Colts

1953-san-francisco-49ers-chicago_1_6c2ec

John Morton wore #36 for the 1953 49ers.  Hes not in this picture, but some of his teammates are.

GettyImages-538275494.0.jpg

Jason Coats, 2016 White Sox

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

A few memorable 36s:

image-asset.jpeg

Kenneth Davis

chase-lansford-has-his-punt-blocked-by-t

Deryck Gildon.  Man, what coulda been if he'd been able to make his grades...

Texas_Christian_University_1936_02.pdf.p

January 1, 1936: TCU beat LSU in the Sugar Bowl by the score of 3-2

A few bonus 36s:

maxresdefault.jpg

Bobby Witt

maxresdefault.jpg

Haha, only if she's 5'3"

AR-180809807.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1