Sign in to follow this  
Senor Ballistico

TCU Basketball 2019-2020 thread

In the words of Lt. William Clark, upon sighting the Pacific Ocean for the first time after walking across the continent, O the Joy!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha  (+1) 1

HSO

Beat Kansas...storming is warranted. Tech not so much...

I'm 45 fight me...

• Haha  (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

HSO

Beat Kansas...storming is warranted. Tech not so much...

I'm 45 fight me...

Frog Fountain? 

• Haha  (+1) 1

Great game by the Frogs!   Not happy with the EDPN + experience though.  It was mostly ok if not the same quality as Dish but towards the end it buffered and was jittery.  It’s not my internet connection either.  The speed test shows excellent.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

I’m 45 fight me...

55 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

Frog  Fountain? 

I thought parking lots were the venue of choice.

• Haha  (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

I thought parking lots were the venue of choice.

KMA! It's Frog Fountain you geek

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 2

De Sousa gets suspended for how long?

• Sad 1

That whole brawl took place in the handicapped seating area.

In all fairness, at least De Sousa had the good sense not to pick up and brandish a wheelchair.

• Haha  (+1) 2

10 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Great game by the Frogs!   Not happy with the EDPN + experience though.  It was mostly ok if not the same quality as Dish but towards the end it buffered and was jittery.  It’s not my internet connection either.  The speed test shows excellent.   

I was very skeptical about subscribing but signed up last week and have been very pleased.  Not a single issue of any kind.  It works on either my laptop or iPad.   

After a couple of "maybe we aren't very good after all" games, nice to get a big win.  Diante Smith the biggest positive, IMO after Bane of course. Played tough and game seemed to slow down a bit for him yesterday. Good defensive game and the run in the second half was nice to see because it didn't rely on the 3 pointer. Samuel played better after a couple of tough games. 

Might as well talk tourney.  Think we are a long shot at this point, but still a shot.  Nonconference schedule not doing us any favors- we didn't excel and many of the teams we played are at the bottom of their conference standings.  USC, Winthrop and UC Irvine at or near the top of their respective conferences, but the rest are bottom feeders. Even Xavier is 1-4 in the Big East, although they have had a tough conference schedule so far.  

Nonconference schedule wise, a win at Arky would be huge. Will be tough, but right now any committee comparing nonconference schedules isn't going to find a lot they like about ours. A road P5 conference win would give us something for a committee to hang their hat on. 

But even if we lose Arky, still a shot if we get to 9 conference wins.  8-10 in Big 12 has been enough recently, but really worry that our nonconference schedule would be too big a negative. Maybe if a couple of those 8 included wins over KU, Baylor or WVU I guess.  Hard to know because how others do obviously influences the bubble. But really don't think "8 is enough".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

I was very skeptical about subscribing but signed up last week and have been very pleased.  Not a single issue of any kind.  It works on either my laptop or iPad.   

I know it's not the internet because I installed an Eero mesh wifi system a couple of months ago and it works great.  I can highly recommend it.  My streaming throughout the house and even outside on the patio works great now.  I thought it might be the Firestick but my Prime and HBO works fine on that TV.  ESPN+ is the only app I seem to have trouble with. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

Might as well talk tourney.  

Certainly no harm in speculating, or even hoping, here amongst us fans.  

Overall, I agree with most of what you wrote.  Our boys have a lot of work to do for our current long shot to become a realistic one.  Winning in Fayetteville would be a great next step, but the Hogs will be very tough.  Can't let a potential loss carry over into the game against the 'Horns next Wednesday. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

I know it's not the internet because I installed an Eero mesh wifi system a couple of months ago and it works great.  I can highly recommend it.  My streaming throughout the house and even outside on the patio works great now.  I thought it might be the Firestick but my Prime and HBO works fine on that TV.  ESPN+ is the only app I seem to have trouble with. 

ESPN's adaptive streams aren't very well coded. If B12 Now/ESPN+ is like standard ESPN streams, it will cut quality (from either 1080p or 720p down to a 480p or less resolution and very low bitrate) if there is a loss or congestion in the connection speed. (I assume that it does this the same as their standard speeds, but I refuse to buy a subscription for this and instead just use the restreams in the Gameday thread.)

In theory, this is a good idea/making the best of a bad situation instead of pausing to catch up and refill the cache. However, their way of dropping frames and testing connection speed to trigger the quality drop isn't very good. If they were to be compatible to Amazon or Netflix or HBO in the quality of service delivery department (starting with less aggressive quality throttling and overhead), I would be more inclined to subscribe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Stubhub is full of cheap tickets for the home game against the Longhorns next Wednesday night.  Less than $10 for the upper sections.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Stubhub is full of cheap tickets for the home game against the Longhorns next Wednesday night.  Less than $10 for the upper sections.

Thanks.  That one might be worth seeing.

FYI --

Big home game for the ladies against Baylor tonight. The lady Frogs are having a good season. 4-1 in conference and 2nd in conference behind Baylor. If not for an inexplicable loss at home to last place Texas Tech, they would be undefeated in Big 12 play. Of those 4 conference wins, 3 were on the road and 2 of those were against teams tied for 3rd place (UT and OU). We beat UT in Austin for the first time in decades.

I don't expect to win this one but it is a good measuring stick game for the Frogs to see whether we have closed the gap between being simply pretty good and being able to play with one of the 3-4 powerhouse teams in women's basketball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Not sure about the court storming...

It's our court and we'll storm it if we want to, storm if we want to, storm if we want to...you would storm too if it happened to you.

• Haha  (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

"I have suspended Silvio De Sousa indefinitely pending the final outcome of the review by KU and the Big 12 Conference," Self said in his statement. "As I said last night, we are disappointed in his actions and there is no place in the game for that behavior."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28538390/jayhawks-silvio-de-sousa-suspended-indefinitely-role-kansas-state-brawl

• Upvote (+1) 1

I’m not sure there’s any solution to the issue of season ticket holders selling their seats to opposing fans.  

While someone above my pay grade tries to figure it out, I’ll enjoy watching large numbers of disappointed fans dressed in red, burnt orange, maroon, whatever, leave the game early.

I meant that William Clark reference last night.  It was really gratifying to watch those people walk out of our house, humbled and silent.

And by the way, it wasn’t that tceh fans had been unruly; they were surprisingly well-behaved.  But they did just assume that this would be an easy win and that Fort Dixon would become Lubbock East for two hours.

Scoreboard, bitches.  Bring on the Whorns.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1