Sign in to follow this  
Senor Ballistico

TCU Basketball 2019-2020 thread

TCU basketball hosting two OV's this weekend

TCU basketball hopes to have another successful weekend on the recruiting trail as they plan to host two official visitors this weekend; Isaiah Ihnen and Kevin Easley.

Last weekend the Frogs hosted three visitors and two of them gave commitments following their visit; Xavier transfer Keonte Kennedy and Mickey Pearson, the No. 81 small forward in the nation according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

The 6-foot-9, 205-pound Ihnen is out of Munich, Germany. In addition to TCU, he will also visit Minnesota and Tennessee while in the United States. Ihnen told Evan Daniels of 247Sports that he feels he could flourish for the Frogs.

"I like their playing style, and I think that I could flourish there,” Ihnen said of TCU.

In addition to Minnesota and Tennessee, Ihnen holds offers from Arizona State, Stanford and UNC Greensboro.

Originally a 2018 prospect, Easley is transferring from Tennessee-Chattanooga. A three-star prospect out of Indianapolis Lawrence North, the 6-foot-6, 232-pound small forward had a spectacular freshman campaign in 2018-2019.

Easley led Chattanooga with 14.4 points per game and averaged 6.5 rebounds while averaging 27.9 minutes per game. For his efforts Easley was named the Southern Conference Freshman of the Year. He became the first player in Chattanooga history to win the award.

If Easley chooses the Frogs he would have to sit due to the NCAA transfer rules.

TCU is building on replacing at least seven players from last year’s roster. Four players have transferred, two have graduated (Alex Robinson and JD Miller) and Kouat Noi has declared for the NBA draft. If Noi is not selected he will pursue his pro dream overseas. Desmond Bane has also entered his name into the NBA draft but has not signed with an agent which leaves his return to TCU for his senior season as a possibility.

The Frogs are coming off a 23-14 record and berth in the NIT semifinals in 2018-2019. The main contributors returning include Kevin Samuel, Kendric Davis, RJ Nembhard and reserves Russell Barlow and Lat Mayen. Dylan Arnette redshirted last season.

• Like (+1) 1

dixon-jamie-usnews-031719-ftr-getty_x1j3vjmaw8ex14fycud2q3tpn.jpg?t=-1917973495&w=960&quality=70

I'm so happy CJD is here for the long haul.   It looks as if CJD and his assistants have wasted no time hitting the recruiting trail. 

Looks to me that  we're going to have a kick ass basketball team that we'll all be proud of for years to come.  

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for starting our new thread!

• Like (+1) 1

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/04/21/tcu-basketball-scores-commitment-tennessee-chattanooga-transfer-kevin-easley

The FROGS picked up a big addition for the basketball program on Sunday night as Kevin Easley announced on Twitter that he had committed to the Frogs. Easley announced his commitment following his official visit to TCU over this past weekend.

Easley will have to sit next season but will still have three years of eligibility remaining. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Senor Ballistico said:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/04/21/tcu-basketball-scores-commitment-tennessee-chattanooga-transfer-kevin-easley

The FROGS picked up a big addition for the basketball program on Sunday night as Kevin Easley announced on Twitter that he had committed to the Frogs. Easley announced his commitment following his official visit to TCU over this past weekend.

Easley will have to sit next season but will still have three years of eligibility remaining. 

Big get. He led the team in points as a true freshman. Former 4-star, top 100 recruit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

JD Miller type player?

From HFB

LeDee averaged 6.6 minutes per game as a true freshman. When he was on the court, he averaged 3.0 points and 1.7 rebounds per game. He scored 16 points in his college debut against Purdue-Fort Wayne and scored 12 points against South Carolina State.

A native of Houston, LeDee played his high school ball at Kinkaid School. He was ranked as the No. 103 overall player in the nation and No. 22 power forward prospect and No. 5 overall player in Texas for the 2018 recruiting class according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

With the addition of LeDee, TCU has now added four players to their roster with three being transfers. In addition to LeDee and Kennedy, the Frogs added Tennessee-Chatanooga transfer Kevin Easley last week. The Frogs are coming off a 23-14 season and trip to the NIT Semifinals. The Frogs have lost four transfers, two graduates and two players entering the NBA Draft from this past season although leading scorer Desmond Bane could return as he has not signed with an agent.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/18/2019 at 5:13 PM, PurpleDawg said:

Thanks for starting our new thread!

Isn’t it too early?

• Haha  (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Isn’t it too early?

its-never-too-pl4cqb.jpg

• Haha  (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I'm much more excited about the 2020-21 Frogs than I am the upcoming season.

Yup, the team should be deeper in two years. We may have a short bench next year.

Former LSU interim head coach Benford hired as TCU assistant
April 29, 2019
By The Associated Press
F
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) Tony Benford has been hired as an assistant men's basketball coach at TCU after finishing last season as interim head coach for LSU's run to the Sweet 16.

Horned Frogs coach Jamie Dixon announced the hiring Monday, saying he has known Benford for 30 years.

Benford was head coach at North Texas from 2012-17 before being an LSU assistant the past two years. He was part of Texas Tech's 1985 Southwest Conference championship as a player, and later was an assistant coach at Marquette, Nebraska, UTEP, Arizona State and New Mexico.

LSU reinstated head coach Will Wade two weeks ago. Wade missed the regular-season finale and the SEC and NCAA tournaments after the school suspended him following a Yahoo report about leaked excerpts of an FBI wiretap that captured Wade speaking with a person convicted of funneling illegal payments to the families of recruits

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

In terms of big guys to play in the paint next year, we'll have Samuel, Barlow and.....Lat Mayen? Is that it?

Samuel will be back.  No way he leaves this early.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Samuel will be back.  No way he leaves this early.  

Yeah - I wasn't questioning whether or not he's returning next year - I was wondering if our depth down low is really as thin as it seems to be.  

4 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

The back story on UCLA’s long, strange search for a basketball coach

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-mick-cronin-coaching-search-20190429-story.html

Because of a California provision that taxes buyouts as a gift, Dixon was going to be on the hook for around $4 million in taxes even after UCLA restructured his contract to cover the buyout...

Having been a resident of that state for a short time, I can say with some authority California will bite you in the butt every chance it gets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Because of a California provision that taxes buyouts as a gift, Dixon was going to be on the hook for around $4 million in taxes even after UCLA restructured his contract to cover the buyout...

Having been a resident of that state for a short time, I can say with some authority California will bite you in the butt every chance it gets.

Thank you California!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I apologize for not posting this when it was tweeted to us, but I've been a little preoccupied this month. PJ is one of our recruits, I think?

• Like (+1) 2