Sign in to follow this  
frogtwang

It’s too late to start a 2019 Football offseason thread.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:32 PM, MercenaryLibrarian said:

I have an obsessive nature when it comes to collecting things. I feel the need to get as complete a set of whatever it is regardless of whether I actually like all of the things in my collection. My primary hobby is collecting trading cards of people that played for TCU, even if they didn't finish their careers there. Right now, I feel dirty for having Robinson, Listenbee, and Boykin in my collection and while I still intend on completing my sets, it has to be a damn good deal for me to buy any of their cards.
Who else would ya'll put on the blacklist, guys that came here and then pissed you off for something other than just poor play?
Boomer White is the only baseball guy that comes to mind. The two Casey P.'s that played QB for us are on my list too.

@MercenaryLibrarian

I have an Omar Manning card.  Not a bad guy I assume, but he left the team for some reason.  I just recently picked up a Jeremy Kerley card, just because.  I have all of the ones you mentioned above as well.  I also have a few Casey Pachall cards, although he redeemed himself somewhat.   I think there is a Tanner Brock schedule card.  Cory Rodgers shot himself in a club, but generally not considered in the same group with the rest of the ones you mentioned.  Kenneth Davis had his own bit of controversy, but I am still a fan.  One of my all time favorite linebackers, LaMarcus McDonald, has been in and out of prison.  Another LB, Daryl Washington, has some substance issues and domestic violence issues that put him in the news for the wrong reasons.  Of course, Guy Morris had the audacity to coach at Baylor.  I believe Ryan Tucker had some run ins with the law as well.  I have all of their cards.

We should compare notes on cards some time.  I have not been able to get many of the team schedule cards the last couple of years for football or baseball.  

Do you have the really old ones, like Davey O'brien, Sammy Baugh,  Ki Aldrich, Don Floyd, Jack Spikes, or Jim Swink?  The Ki Aldrich one is harder to find, but ebay usually has a couple.

Ki Aldrich

Here are a few cards from a nice set that has some players that are otherwise harder to find.  Look for the whole set.  It has Tayo, Roger Williams, Maponga, Colin Jones, etc and a bunch of older players.

Panini team set

Here is another one you don't see very often that you may not have or know about:

Bo Schobel

Bo was always one of my favorites.  I assume you have the Matt Schobel card.

Marshall Newhouse has an unofficial card that is the Team Leader card:

Newhouse

Here is another rare one:

Crutcher

Vaitai has one that I only just found out about:

Vaitai

Here is a rare one:

Stanley Washington

Shawn Worthen has one too.  There are several that only have CFL cards.  Reggie Hunt.  The WR turned RB that saved our season a few years back when everyone was injured, Ryan Christian.  His is harder to find.  I think Quincy Butler has one from the CFL.

Reggie Hunt:

Reggie Hunt

Cole Hunt has one for the defunct AAF:

Hunt

If you have any really obscure ones, post them.  The baseball ones are even harder to keep up with because so many of the players get on in the minor leagues.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh TCUDoc, be careful of that rabbit hole. I made the mistake of going down the card collecting hole back in 2010 and it has taken over my life. I mentioned totals in the countdown thread, but I'll throw a few stats on my collection your way. This is according to my massive Excel spreadsheet which probably has a few calculation errors in it by this point (it's 9 years old and 3.2MB) but at any rate:
Total known cards: 26,157

Total cards I own: 14,118

Oldest "card" (not a traditional trading card, but still in the same family): 1910 Sweet Caporal Domino Discs #39 Louis Drucke (I have one)
Oldest football card (similar to the thing above): 1938 Dixie Lids #1 Sammy Baugh (Have one of those too)
Oldest Basketball card: 1972-73 Topps #208 Eugene Kennedy (yup)

I actually have most of the cards you have listed above. 

I think I might start a thread just devoted to this subject. Maybe even try and do a card of the day (or card every so often). Lots of interesting ones to discuss.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, tcudoc said:

@MercenaryLibrarian

If you have any really obscure ones, post them.  The baseball ones are even harder to keep up with because so many of the players get on in the minor leagues.

Funny you should mention the minor league cards. That's actually one of my favorite sub-sets to collect. I have done a lot of research pulling names from the annals of minor league history and am only missing a handful or so of the hundreds of minor league cards out there.

I just collect the first cards of each player.   It’s much easier that way. 

• Like (+1) 2

Not trying to start any official prediction here as its still way early- but I'm procrastinating at work and was getting excited for football.

Depending on QB play (which when is it never depending on it?) There is a VERY real chance we could be heading into the UT weekend sitting at 6-0. 

Ark. PB- Come on

@ Purdue- could be tough, but weather shouldn't be an issue and we have an extra week to prep. I like our odds.

SMU- We always play down. But this aint the year.

KU- They don't beat us twice in a row, and its at home.

@ ISU- First test of the year. They lost a few guys. I like us.

@KSU- Always tough, but again. They aren't beating us. Also, the bye before this one helps too.

Past that, our schedule gets dicey. But we could be in for a fun season. Again, assuming we get some decent QB play (my guess is Rogers). 

UT has a much tougher first 8 weeks, but they will likely be ranked. Especially if they can beat 1 of LSU or OU and win the rest.

Anyway, I CAN'T wait!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I'm procrastinating at work

Procrastinate some more! I miss you!!!😍

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Procrastinate some more! I miss you!!!😍

Yeah. Been slammed lately. 

5 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Not trying to start any official prediction here as its still way early- but I'm procrastinating at work and was getting excited for football.

Depending on QB play (which when is it never depending on it?) There is a VERY real chance we could be heading into the UT weekend sitting at 6-0. 

@ Purdue- could be tough, but weather shouldn't be an issue and we have an extra week to prep. I like our odds.

Purdue has a tough non-con. They open @ Nevada, then get Vanderbilt and then host the Frogs. Purdue might be 2-0 when they face the Frogs but they might be brused by then...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Reports on the new bowl lineup.  Which is actually the old bowl lineup.

Big 12 (7 bowls)
2020-25 lineup:
Sugar vs. SEC
Alamo vs. Pac-12
Camping World vs. ACC
Texas vs. SEC
Liberty vs. SEC
Cheez-It vs. Big Ten
Armed Forces/First Responder vs. Group of 5

Changes: None. The Big 12 will maintain its same bowl affiliations in the new bowl cycle. The Big 12 will play three SEC opponents and one each from the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12. The biggest changes will be facing the Big Ten instead of the Pac-12 in the Cheez-It Bowl and facing a Group of 5 opponent in the Armed Forces/First Responder bowls.

Really would've liked to see the Alamo Bowl kick the Pac 12 to the curb and get either the Big Ten or SEC in there.  Would've also loved to have seen the Sun Bowl get into the Big 12 mix.

4 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Reports on the new bowl lineup.  Which is actually the old bowl lineup.

Big 12 (7 bowls)
2020-25 lineup:
Sugar vs. SEC
Alamo vs. Pac-12
Camping World vs. ACC
Texas vs. SEC
Liberty vs. SEC
Cheez-It vs. Big Ten
Armed Forces/First Responder vs. Group of 5

Changes: None. The Big 12 will maintain its same bowl affiliations in the new bowl cycle. The Big 12 will play three SEC opponents and one each from the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12. The biggest changes will be facing the Big Ten instead of the Pac-12 in the Cheez-It Bowl and facing a Group of 5 opponent in the Armed Forces/First Responder bowls.

nice to have a game against each P5 conference.  

• Like (+1) 2

Nijeel Meeking is gone due to grades.  That may open up a scholarship this fall for Omar Manning, the former TCU WR now at Kilgore JC.  If it happens, that would be a significant addition.  Manning was a 4 star out of high school but redshirted his first season at TCU before having to withdraw due to grades before ever getting a chance to play.  

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Nijeel Meeking is gone due to grades.  That may open up a scholarship this fall for Omar Manning, the former TCU WR now at Kilgore JC.  If it happens, that would be a significant addition.  Manning was a 4 star out of high school but redshirted his first season at TCU before having to withdraw due to grades before ever getting a chance to play.  

Interesting... is there smoke that he wants back?

Wasn't he initially touted as "better" than Reagor? At least bigger.

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Interesting... is there smoke that he wants back?

Wasn't he initially touted as "better" than Reagor? At least bigger.

A little.  He tweeted "Go Frogs" the other day and there apparently is mutual interest in bringing him back.  He can't go anywhere else without graduating from JUCO but he can come to TCU immediately now that he got his grades in order because he signed with us out of high school.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

A little.  He tweeted "Go Frogs" the other day and there apparently is mutual interest in bringing him back.  He can't go anywhere else without graduating from JUCO but he can come to TCU immediately now that he got his grades in order because he signed with us out of high school.

43 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I'd heard Malcolm Kelly has been spending a good amount of energy trying to get Omar back to Fort Worth.

Reagor and Manning together at last for one season. Then we'd get Manning back for his senior year I presume. YES PLEASE

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think we would have to lose someone else to add someone. We have been over the limit.

And if we get an opening, I'd rather go after Zuber from Kansas State than Manning.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Just saw a tweet that Dylan Jordan will not be enrolling at TCU and will instead be going the JUCO route...

That sucks but we signed 3 other LB's in February and I think Wyatt Harris and the Marcheselli kid from Broken Bow, OK will both be really good.  The other kid from Florida is more of a DE/LB tweener but might turn out to be really good as well.  

• Like (+1) 1