Sign in to follow this  
frogtwang

It’s too late to start a 2019 Football offseason thread.

The tOSU game was on last night.  I watched a little before and after I streamed GOT.  I had forgotten that we had a 21-19 lead midway through the 3rd quarter.  I turned the game on just in time to see the shuttle pass pick 6.  I almost threw up before I immediately turned off the TV.

25 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

The Athletic put out their first 2020 mock draft this morning - they've got Reagor going #14 to Jacksonville.

He keeps producing and he's 100% a top 15 pick. Reminds me of Desean Jackson

39 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

The Athletic put out their first 2020 mock draft this morning - they've got Reagor going #14 to Jacksonville.

He's an amazing player, hope we have a QB that can get the ball to him this year.

So glad he's a Horn Frog

54 minutes ago, Senor Ballistico said:

He's an amazing player, hope we have a QB that can get the ball to him this year.

So glad he's a Horn Frog

Jeremy Clark from HFB says the QB's have all looked good this spring per his sources.  A better o-line, more consistent running attack and WR's who can get open would help a lot.  Last year's O-line was a patchwork due to injuries and inexperience.  Hopefully they take a big step forward this season.  We've got more high ranked recruits on the O-line than we've ever had before.  Between Myers, Niang, Wes Harris and McKinney, that's a pretty damn talented O-line.  We just need to find a center and some quality back ups.  As for WR, Austin and Stewart weren't that great in getting separation.  I'm hoping Dylan Thomas comes back from injury and shows that his play in the tOSU game wasn't a fluke.  Taye Barber and D. Davis could be pretty lethal in the slot as well.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, angelosfrog said:

Jeremy Clark from HFB says the QB's have all looked good this spring per his sources.  A better o-line, more consistent running attack and WR's who can get open would help a lot.  Last year's O-line was a patchwork due to injuries and inexperience.  Hopefully they take a big step forward this season.  We've got more high ranked recruits on the O-line than we've ever had before.  Between Myers, Niang, Wes Harris and McKinney, that's a pretty damn talented O-line.  We just need to find a center and some quality back ups.  As for WR, Austin and Stewart weren't that great in getting separation.  I'm hoping Dylan Thomas comes back from injury and shows that his play in the tOSU game wasn't a fluke.  Taye Barber and D. Davis could be pretty lethal in the slot as well.  

Not sure why Austin and Stewart kept getting playing time over younger, more talented guys. By the time they were Juniors and really never lived up to their hype, it was time to move on IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Not sure why Austin and Stewart kept getting playing time over younger, more talented guys. By the time they were Juniors and really never lived up to their hype, it was time to move on IMO.

This. Drove me crazy all season. They were workout warriors that never had natural playmaking ability. I'm sure they were always in the right spot and blocked well, but that doesn't get you very far in a spread P5 offense.

Big 12 players poised for breakouts
April 24, 2019
By The Associated Press

Some of the Big 12 Conference players who could have breakout seasons and be impact players in 2019:

BAYLOR

WR R.J. Sneed, sophomore. Forgotten a bit after getting hurt as a true freshman in 2017, and appearing in only three games last season, Sneed is healthy and could become a significant target for quarterback Charlie Brewer. Sneed is among several talented young receivers the Bears still have after the departure of Jalen Hurd, the converted running back who led the team in receiving last season.

IOWA STATE

RB Kene Nwangwu, junior. With star David Montgomery off to the NFL, Nwangwu will get a shot at proving he can be Iowa State's primary back. Nwangwu has been a standout as a returner for the Cyclones, leading the Big 12 and ranking 12th nationally in kickoff return last season with a 26.8 yard average.

KANSAS

RB Pooka Williams, sophomore. Without question the best playmaker inherited by new coach Les Miles, Williams was supposed to be the kind of featured running back that could make his offense hum. But his future remains cloudy after he was granted a diversion by the Douglas County district attorney for a domestic battery charge that landed him a suspension from the program. The Jayhawks have some other options in Dom Williams and freshman Amauri Pesek-Hickson.

KANSAS STATE

QB Skylar Thompson, junior. The veteran quarterback has already flourished in new coach Chris Klieman's offensive system, which appears to be better suited to his ability than the read-and-react system of Bill Snyder. The Wildcats are desperately short of running backs, too, so Thompson's ability to deliver the ball downfield will be of paramount importance this fall.

OKLAHOMA

QB Jalen Hurts, graduate transfer. The transfer from Alabama looks right at home in coach Lincoln Riley's offense. Hurts completed 11 of 14 passes for 174 yards and a touchdown, and he ran for another score in the spring game. Hurts won a national title and played for another as a starter at Alabama.

Hurts is also stretching his wings as a leader. After one of the spring game scores, he had the team pose for a photo - something he never would have done while playing for Nick Saban.

''We took one, and I said, `Yeah, I ain't doing that at the other place - at Alabama.' ... I probably would have gotten a chewing for that one,'' he said.

OKLAHOMA STATE

QBs Spencer Sanders, redshirt freshman, or Dru Brown, senior. Sanders was the prize of Oklahoma State's recruiting class two years ago. He watched and waited as a redshirt last season while fifth-year senior Taylor Cornelius had a strong campaign. He has battled with Brown throughout the spring. Brown had two years of experience as a starter at Hawaii before redshirting last season. Coach Mike Gundy hasn't revealed much about the competition, other than to say Sanders and Brown are sharing reps. Both have had to adjust to new offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson.

TEXAS

RB Jordan Whittington, freshman. One of the nation's top-rated athletes, he had a record-setting performance in a Texas high school championship game in December before enrolling early at Texas. He is expected to provide immediate help at running back. In the spring game, let had 12 carries for 62 yards, and four catches.

TCU

S/LB La'Kendrick Van Zandt, sophomore. The versatile 6-foot-1 defender got sidetracked early at TCU when he suffered a season-ending injury in the 2017 season opener as a true freshman. He got into 10 games last year. During one of the final spring practices, Van Zandt took part in about 190 plays, with every snap with the No. 1 defense at strong safety and every snap at linebacker with the No. 2 defense. He could play significantly at both spots.

TEXAS TECH

WR Erik Ezukanma, redshirt freshman. The 6-foot-3 Ezukanma appeared in only two games last season, when he had two catches for 48 yards with a 44-yard touchdown. He had a tremendous spring and could get a chance to be another big-time receiver for the Red Raiders. Remember: NFL hopeful Antoine Wesley had 88 catches for 1,410 yards and nine touchdowns as a junior for the Red Raiders last year after just 10 catches the previous two seasons.

WEST VIRGINIA

WR T.J. Simmons, junior. An Alabama transfer, Simmons was fourth on the team last season as a sophomore with 28 catches for 341 yards and takes over the leadership of a unit that bid farewell to playmakers David Sills (65 catches, 986 yards, 15 TDs) and Gary Jennings (54 catches, 917 yards, 13 TDs). Speedster Marcus Simms (46 catches, 699 yards, two TDs) sat out spring practices with what new Mountaineers coach Neal Brown termed a personal issue. Simms, a senior, remains a question mark heading into the fall.

---

More AP college football: https://apnews.com/Collegefootball and https://twitter.com/AP-Top25

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Big 12 deals with coaching turnover
April 26, 2019
By The Associated Press

Never before has the Big 12 had such a big turnover in head football coaches. Not even when the conference had more teams.

Four of the 10 Big 12 teams went through spring drills with new coaches. They still have more time to get acclimated before the league's 24th season opens in just over four months.The two new coaches in the Sunflower State - Les Miles at Kansas and Chris Klieman at Kansas State - both have won national championships, though at different levels. After six seasons at Utah State, Matt Wells took over at Texas Tech and Neal Brown has taken over at West Virginia.''All very quality coaches and deserving of their jobs, and it will be an interesting year,'' Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said. ''We've been in a pattern in our league where we knew each other really well for a number of years, so this will throw a little curveball to everybody in the league for a couple of years.''

Gundy, the former Cowboys quarterback going into the 15th season coaching his alma mater, has been in the Big 12 the longest. While Gary Patterson will be in his 19th season at TCU, the Horned Frogs were in different leagues his first 11 years.After all the turnover, Gundy and Patterson are the only coaches who have been in the Big 12 longer than fourth-year Iowa State coach Matt Campbell.''Yeah, that's certainly hard to imagine,'' Campbell said. ''I remember how intimidating for me it was walking into the first Big 12 meetings. ... It certainly has changed, and the dynamic in the room has certainly changed tremendously over the last couple of years.''There were no new coaches last season, after the 2017 debuts of Lincoln Riley as Oklahoma's coach, Tom Herman at Texas and Matt Rhule at Baylor. In the 15 seasons the league had 12 teams (1996-2010), there were three coaching changes in the same year only twice.''It's always good for a league to have new blood come in, new ideas,'' Patterson said. ''Now we have to get used to the new coaches and what they do and how they do things and their teams.''At 79 years old, Bill Snyder retired for a second time after winning 215 games in 27 seasons at Kansas State. Klieman replaced him after leading North Dakota State to its fourth FCS championship in his five seasons as head coach after being part of three other titles as defensive coordinator there.Miles, Oklahoma State's coach from 2001-04 before replacing Nick Saban at LSU, succeeds the fired David Beaty at Kansas. Miles is now the Big 12's oldest coach at 65, returning to coaching for the first time since getting fired after a 2-2 start in 2016 at LSU, where he was 114-34 and won the 2007 national title.Wells went 44-34 at Utah State , his alma mater, before taking the Texas Tech job.''It's been a great fit,'' Wells said. ''The biggest thing for us is I'm going to be me and we're going to be us.''Texas Tech was 35-40 in six seasons under Kliff Kingsbury, who after had a short-lived gig as Southern Cal's offensive coordinator before getting hired as coach of the NFL's Arizona Cardinals.The 39-year-old Brown is a former Texas Tech offensive coordinator who went 35-16 with three bowl wins the last four seasons as coach at Sun Belt Conference school Troy. He took over at West Virginia after Dana Holgorsen left suddenly to become Houston's coach.HORNS FORWARDTexas wrapped up Herman's third season as the Big 12 runner-up and got its 10th win of the season against SEC runner-up Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.''This year's team can learn a lot of lessons from last year's team, good and bad,'' Herman said. ''But last year's team will never be referred to as we or us. We didn't win the Sugar Bowl last year. That was last year's team. We are the 2019 team, and we have a lot of work to do.''BACK ON OFFENSETom Manning is back as Iowa State's offensive coordinator after one season on staff with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. Manning gets an offense with all five linemen returning, and quarterback Brock Purdy after he rose from third string to lead Iowa State to seven wins in nine games with the most efficient passing season in school history. Gone are 1,000-yard receiver Hakeem Butler and 1,000-yard running back David Montgomery.RUNNING SAFETYJohn Lovett, Baylor's leading rusher as a sophomore last season, could become one of the Bears' primary defensive backs. Rhule said the plan is to ''use his skill set on both sides of the football, primarily as a defensive player. I think he has a long future ahead on defense.'' With senior running back JaMycal Hasty healthy, the Bears need more help at safety than they do at running back. But Rhule said Lovett would be an elite running back in red zone, short-yardage and goal-line situations.---More AP college football: https://apnews.com/Collegefootball

• Thanks (+1) 1

If this is true, we have outright been underutilizing him. Those are freakish numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

From HFB

Four-star DE Landyn Watson has great unofficial visit to TCU

One of the top defensive ends in the nation from the 2021 class made his way to Fort Worth this past weekend for an unofficial visit as Hutto, Texas prospect Landyn Watson visited TCU. Watson is regarded as one of the top targets on the Frogs’ wish list for the 2021 class

“The visit was absolutely great,” he said. “My family and I get a great feeling every time I visit. Coach (Dan) Sharp and Coach Gary Patterson love seeing me up there.”

Watson is already building a good relationship with the coaches and TCU’s proximity to Hutto is good. In addition to those factors, Watson says another big factor is producing players which TCU proved they could do this past weekend with the 2019 NFL Draft results. TCU was the only program in the nation that had two defensive ends drafted in the first and second rounds of the NFL Draft; L.J. Collier was selected in the first round by Seattle and Ben Banogu was selected by Indianapolis in the second round.

Watson admits that caught his attention.

“I definitely factor that as a big part of my recruitment with them knowing that they are capable of producing defensive ends in the top three rounds,” Watson said.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SuperToad said:

If this is true, we have outright been underutilizing him. Those are freakish numbers.

He needs to watch some Earl Campbell videos.   Until late last year, I thought he tried to bounce it outside too much. He can truck people when he wants to. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SuperToad said:

A little of it is/ was “Tarzan in the weight room. Jane on the field”. But he seemed to finally put it together last year. If he had a good season and puts those numbers up at the combine he should be a mid round pick. Problem is. RBs, outside of the elite elite are a dime a dozen at the next level. Edge rushers, Corners, left tackles, and QBs are who make the big bucks these days. 

Safetys, LBs, and RBs are somewhat comiditized 

If you want to know why some receivers are playing and other aren't, watch them block. Also, some are really good at getting away from the defense, not so good at actually catching the ball.

Evidently Bryson Jackson has announced on twitter he is transferring. Gets us down to 86 ships on the roster, still one over the limit.

1 hour ago, Burner said:

If you want to know why some receivers are playing and other aren't, watch them block. Also, some are really good at getting away from the defense, not so good at actually catching the ball.

But isn't catching the ball in their job title?

Why Shameik Blackshear left South Carolina. And why he chose TCU

When Shameik Blackshear put his name into the NCAA transfer portal, several schools quickly reached out, including Virginia Tech and Virginia, but only one head coach made direct contact.

That was TCU head coach Gary Patterson, and that’s why Blackshear is moving to Fort Worth, Texas, at the end of this month and enrolling at TCU in June in preparation of playing his final season of college football with the Horned Frogs.

“He reached out on Twitter, and he explained to me how much they needed a player of my caliber and that I could help them right away because they were graduating two guys and they had other guys off the team for other reasons,” Blackshear said. “It stood out to me that the head coach reached out to me, and he told me, ‘This is what we need.’ ”

Blackshear was one of dozens of graduating South Carolina athletes recognized Tuesday at a ceremony outside Colonial Life Arena. The Bluffton native earned a degree in interdisciplinary studies, which will allow him to play immediately at TCU as a graduate transfer.

“Having a degree means everything,” he said. “Where I am from, not many people graduate, not many people get a chance to go to a college like South Carolina, so it means everything to me and everybody back at home. I wanted to make my mom and my dad and my family proud.”

Blackshear was an Under Armour All-American and one of the nation’s most highly regarded high school defensive linemen when he signed with the Gamecocks, but he only started two games in his three seasons. After totaling 38 tackles in 32 career games, he informed South Carolina head coach Will Muschamp that he planned to transfer for his final season.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article229856429.html#storylink=cpy

“I just felt like it was probably time for a change,” he said. “Things weren’t going the way I planned for them to go. Things always work differently when you have a change of scenery. Everything is all love. I’m a home-state kid, and I’m rooting for everyone with the Gamecocks, and it’s all love forever.”

Muschamp did not try to limit the transfer destination in any way, Blackshear said.

“It was hard to tell him that I wanted to leave because this is where I am from,” Blackshear said. “I never planned on wanting to leave, but at this point it’s about a business decision, and I felt like that this was better for me and my family to give myself a chance. My relationship with Coach Muschamp has always been cordial. We respect each other. He supported me 100 percent. He told me if I ever needed anything to give him a call and he wouldn’t hesitate to help me.”

Blackshear’s progress at South Carolina was hampered by a knee injury he suffered in high school and a gunshot wound he suffered as a freshman.

“Everything never goes how it’s supposed to go,” he said. “I had dreams of being three and done, but I ran into some issues that I got myself into, but I grew up and things have been different and I just have been working hard. Things haven’t really been going how I thought they would go so I just wanted to see if a change of location would work for me.”

The Horned Frogs had the 24th-ranked defense in the nation last year, allowing 338 yards per game. Asked what kind of year he expected to have at TCU, Blackshear replied, “I’d rather just show y’all than tell y’all.”

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article229856429.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article229856429.html

• Like (+1) 2

I'm really looking forward to seeing Blackshear playing for the Frogs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

Why Shameik Blackshear left South Carolina. And why he chose TCU

When Shameik Blackshear put his name into the NCAA transfer portal, several schools quickly reached out, including Virginia Tech and Virginia, but only one head coach made direct contact.

That was TCU head coach Gary Patterson, and that’s why Blackshear is moving to Fort Worth, Texas, at the end of this month and enrolling at TCU in June in preparation of playing his final season of college football with the Horned Frogs.

“He reached out on Twitter, and he explained to me how much they needed a player of my caliber and that I could help them right away because they were graduating two guys and they had other guys off the team for other reasons,” Blackshear said. “It stood out to me that the head coach reached out to me, and he told me, ‘This is what we need.’ ”

Blackshear was one of dozens of graduating South Carolina athletes recognized Tuesday at a ceremony outside Colonial Life Arena. The Bluffton native earned a degree in interdisciplinary studies, which will allow him to play immediately at TCU as a graduate transfer.

“Having a degree means everything,” he said. “Where I am from, not many people graduate, not many people get a chance to go to a college like South Carolina, so it means everything to me and everybody back at home. I wanted to make my mom and my dad and my family proud.”

Blackshear was an Under Armour All-American and one of the nation’s most highly regarded high school defensive linemen when he signed with the Gamecocks, but he only started two games in his three seasons. After totaling 38 tackles in 32 career games, he informed South Carolina head coach Will Muschamp that he planned to transfer for his final season.

“I just felt like it was probably time for a change,” he said. “Things weren’t going the way I planned for them to go. Things always work differently when you have a change of scenery. Everything is all love. I’m a home-state kid, and I’m rooting for everyone with the Gamecocks, and it’s all love forever.”

Muschamp did not try to limit the transfer destination in any way, Blackshear said.

“It was hard to tell him that I wanted to leave because this is where I am from,” Blackshear said. “I never planned on wanting to leave, but at this point it’s about a business decision, and I felt like that this was better for me and my family to give myself a chance. My relationship with Coach Muschamp has always been cordial. We respect each other. He supported me 100 percent. He told me if I ever needed anything to give him a call and he wouldn’t hesitate to help me.”

Blackshear’s progress at South Carolina was hampered by a knee injury he suffered in high school and a gunshot wound he suffered as a freshman.

“Everything never goes how it’s supposed to go,” he said. “I had dreams of being three and done, but I ran into some issues that I got myself into, but I grew up and things have been different and I just have been working hard. Things haven’t really been going how I thought they would go so I just wanted to see if a change of location would work for me.”

The Horned Frogs had the 24th-ranked defense in the nation last year, allowing 338 yards per game. Asked what kind of year he expected to have at TCU, Blackshear replied, “I’d rather just show y’all than tell y’all.”

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/josh-kendall-blog/article229856429.html

Great story, love to see Coach out there hustling and sliding into DMs

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Great story, love to see Coach out there hustling and sliding into DMs

*Actual footage of GP sliding into Blackshear’s DMs

tenor.gif

• Haha  (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3