Sign in to follow this  
frogtwang

It’s too late to start a 2019 Football offseason thread.

TCU a school in heavy consideration for 4-star Keontae Jenkins

TCU hosted two official visitors this past weekend and one of the players in town is considered not only one of the top cornerbacks in the nation, he’s also a top 300 overall player.

In town making his first trip to TCU was Virginia Beach (VA) Frank W. Cox four-star cornerback Keontae Jenkins. The 5-foot-10, 160-pound prospect is ranked as the No. 17 cornerback in the nation and No. 5 overall player in Virginia according to the 247Sports composite rankings. He is also ranked in the 247Sports Top247, ranked as the No. 228 overall player.

Jenkins said he was impressed with what he saw during his official visit. From seeing the facilities, visiting Gary Patterson’s house and interacting with the coaching staff, everything went well.

“Everything looked good,” Jenkins said of his TCU visit. “I liked talking to the staff. The relationship is developing good; I’ve been talking to them ever since they offered me; it’s been good.”

Jenkins is getting recruited by Jeremy Modkins mostly because he’s the cornerbacks coach for the Frogs. However, Jenkins says he’s built a strong relationship with each of the coaches on staff.

“All of them are recruiting me really,” he said. “Coach Patterson is recruiting me pretty good too. He doesn’t really do a lot of the social media stuff.”

Jenkins was hosted on his visit by redshirt freshman Atanza Vongor. The four-star says he got along with the defensive back as well as the rest of the team.

“I like the players down there,” he said. “We got along good.”

With TCU losing three cornerbacks at the conclusion of the 2019 season including All-Big 12 corner Jeff Gladney, the position is a huge need for the Frogs’ this recruiting cycle. With 4.42 speed and tremendous ball skills, Jenkins has been told he’s a perfect fit for the Frogs’ at corner.

“They tell me I fit their defense perfect,” Jenkins said. “I like playing on an island.”

With 23 offers, Jenkins is one of the most coveted cornerback prospects in the nation. In addition to TCU, among the schools giving chase for Jenkins include Florida State, Virginia Tech, Auburn, Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Florida among others.

Jenkins says following his visit to TCU, the Frogs are one of the top schools he’s considering.

“It’s a school I’m definitely heavily considering right now along with some other schools,” Jenkins said. “I like them because they have a big need at my position and the staff. I like how the staff’s personalities are; it’s more than just football.”

With one trip out of the way, Jenkins could be taking another visit. He says Michigan could get a visit but he’s unsure if that will happen. As for a decision, one could be coming sooner than later. He plans to release when he will be making his commitment possibly by Tuesday night.

TCU’s class currently sits at No. 63 in the 247Sports composite team rankings and No. 8 in the Big 12. According to the 247Sports class calculator, a commitment from Jenkins would push the Frogs up nearly 20 spots to No. 45.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Local 4-star Christian Gonzalez would like to hear from TCU

The Colony four-star defensive back Christian Gonzalez was once under the radar early in the process but that’s not the case any longer as he now holds over 20 offers.

The 6-foot-1, 193-pounder holds offers from programs around the nation including Notre Dame, Arizona State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Baylor and Colorado among others. Gonzalez believes the attention is about to pick up even more on the recruiting front.

“It’s going good and it’s about to get back crazy because it’s the start of spring ball,” he said. “Notre Dame talks to me a lot, Colorado and Ole Miss.

Gonzalez released a top 8 schools in early March that consisted of Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Mississippi, Missouri, Notre Dame, Purdue and Texas Tech. Although he released his top schools, Gonzalez admitted that is subject to change.

“Anything can change with more opportunities coming in,” he said.

Along with Gonzalez, The Colony is home to receiver Keith Miller and athlete Myles Price. Gonzalez says the three have discussed playing football together at the next level. They talk about one program in particular.

“We’ve all talked about it and Texas Tech is a school that we like a lot,” Gonzales said.

One school that he hasn’t heard much from but is willing to listen to is TCU. The program sits just down the road from The Colony and Gonzalez says he would welcome any new interest from the Frogs.

“I follow Gary Patterson and corner coach follows me but they haven’t reached out to me at all,” Gonzales said. “It would be cool to hear from them.”

Gonzalez hasn’t been on an official visit yet but he has one currently scheduled for June.

“I’ll probably be doing some unofficials every once in a while and I’m going to Colorado for an official on June 7-9.”

As for what he’s looking for in a program, Gonzalez just wants to feel at home.

1COMMENTS

“I want to bond with the coaches and where I feel most at home,” he said.

Gonzalez is ranked as the No. 37 safety prospect in the nation and No. 77 overall player in Texas according to the 247Sports composite rankings. He says all schools are recruiting him at cornerback for now. TCU's 2020 recruiting class currently sits at No. 63 in the nation and No. 8 in the Big 12 according to the 247Sports composite team rankings. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

TCU in a good spot for Corey Wren following OV

8885359.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

If you watch film on John Curtis (LA) prospect Corey Wren, it doesn’t take long for TCU fans to recognize the similarities in his game and former Frog KaVontae Turpin. Both are around the same size and both possess explosive speed.

Unlike Turpin coming out of high school, Wren isn’t a secret. In fact, the speedster holds over 20 offers from programs including Arizona State, Florida State, West Virginia, Tennessee and TCU among others. Wren recently made his way to Fort Worth last weekend for an official visit to TCU.

The visit impressed the Louisiana product.

“I really enjoyed the visit, it has always been a dream of mine to stay in Texas,” he said. “So, just being around that type of atmosphere was great.”

Wren liked many aspects of the visit but he said his favorite part was the time he spent hanging out with TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie. Wren says the plan Cumbie showed him on how they would utilize his skills was exciting.

“Talking with Sonny Cumbie was the best part about the visit. Coach Cumbie broke down the film to me for a good 30 minutes and the play they have for me is very exciting,” Wren said. “They plan to give me the ball in space and that’s my type of game.”

Wren not only has the fastest 100-meter time in Louisiana this track season, his 10.41 is also the 10th best time in the nation according to Athletic.net. With that kind of speed, it’s no surprise that Cumbie feels Wren could make an immediate impact. Wren says early playing time is a big factor for him.

“He told me I can come in and be a big factor right away as a true freshman,” he said. “So yes, that does play a big role in my decision making knowing that his coach has a plan for my game.”

Another factor that could weigh in TCU’s favor is the advice he received from linebacker Garret Wallow, an ex-John Curtis player himself. Wren says Wallow gave him some great advice regarding the Frogs.

“One huge thing about the program he told me is the stability of the coaching staff; knowing that Coach P has been there for so long. It’s great to know that you’ll come in with the same coach you started with,” Wren said. “I’m huge on that.”

Wren says he may visit Arizona State next for an official visit but that is still up in the air. As for when he plans to narrow things down and where TCU stands, things are looking good for the Frogs.

“I plan to drop my top schools around the end of spring ball but I can promise you TCU is a top school of mine,” Wren said. “It’s a great program with a great family vibe.”

With plans to major in sports medicine, Wren says he’s keying in on a few important factors to help make his decision.

1COMMENTS

“A school that shows loyalty is a key aspect for me; a program with a winning mentality and a family program,” he said.

Wren is rated as the No. 49 athlete in the nation and No. 29 overall player in Louisiana according to 247Sports.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Happy GMFP to start the slide to your weekend!

• Like (+1) 2

From the AP last week

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) TCU speedy playmaking receiver Jalen Reagor was sidelined when the Horned Frogs ended spring practice, along with one of their top running backs and two of their quarterback candidates. Several key defenders were there with them.

Advertisement

''Everything's about preparing for August,'' coach Gary Patterson said.

Reagor, a 1,000-yard receiver who caught a touchdown in seven consecutive games as a sophomore, had what was described as a ''minor cleanup'' of a nagging ankle issue. The Frogs prefer having him ready to go for the regular season than going through all those spring drills, the same as for running back Darius Anderson after he missed the final two games last season.

There is now plenty of time for everybody to heal before the Aug. 31 opener against Arkansas-Pine Bluff that will open Patterson's 19th season.

Patterson said TCU went through much of spring practice with only about half of an 85-player scholarship roster. About 20 of those spots will be filled when the rest of the 2019 recruiting class and some graduate transfers arrive in the summer.

''We've got a long way to go to win a championship, and that's what your whole goal is. We've got to get healthy and guys that are out here have got to grow up,'' Patterson said. ''The guys that practiced, are we better? We are. But there were a lot of younger guys and we've got a long ways to go. We showed a lot of promise, but we've got a lot of good players who are going to come back.''

The Frogs dealt with significant injuries all of last season - starting with standout defensive tackle Ross Blacklock's season-ending Achilles injury even before the first game. Since-transferred quarterback Shawn Robinson, breakout safety Innis Gaines and Anderson were among many others who got hurt during the season.

Even with all the injured players, including No. 2 quarterback Mike Collins down the stretch that led to a fifth-year senior making his first career start in his final home game, TCU won its last two games in the regular season to get to .500 and in a bowl game. The Frogs then beat California 10-7 in overtime at the Cheez-It Bowl .

Instead of a traditional spring game - Patterson has never really liked those anyway - the Frogs wrapped up spring drills with a couple of hundred fans watching an hour-long controlled scrimmage missing many of the standout players.

Sewo Olonilua, the offensive MVP in the bowl when his first career 100-yard rushing game was a TCU bowl-record 194 yards against Cal, was limited in spring drills, like Anderson.

Collins missed all of spring while recovering from the foot injury he suffered at Baylor. Grad transfer quarterback Alex Delton from Kansas State was there and practiced until having a scheduled procedure the day of the scrimmage.

''He did fine, it's something he's had,'' Patterson said. ''It hasn't bothered him. He's practiced, he's done everything.''

Dual-threat quarterbacks Justin Rogers and Max Duggan took most of the snaps with the first group in the spring-ending scrimmage.

Rogers, a redshirt freshman, got only a few snaps in the bowl game after dealing with a foot issue that developed when coming back from a knee injury that took away the top recruit's senior season in high school. Duggan graduated high school early and was able to take part in spring drills.

As for who will be TCU's third different season-opening quarterback in four years, Patterson said it will be ''a guy that doesn't turn it over. ... They all have strengths, all of them.''

With so many experienced players missing time in the spring, there were more reps for some youngsters.

During one of the final practice sessions, Patterson said sophomore LaKendrick Van Zandt took part in about 190 plays when the team was in shorts. Van Zandt took every snap with the No. 1 defense at strong safety, then was at linebacker for every snap with the No. 2 defense.

The Horned Frogs, who made the Big 12 championship game two seasons ago, just hope to keep building on the momentum of how last year ended after a 3-5 start.

''I think what it told you was what kind of foundation we have here,'' Patterson said. ''We're going to get all of these other guys back. ... I've got the guys who were here that fought their tails off.''

• Like (+1) 1

From 247:

Eli Williams locks in OV date for TCU

One of the state of Oklahoma’s top prospects will make his official visit to TCU on May 3rd as Sapulpa dual-threat quarterback Eli Williams plans to be in town. Williams confirmed his visit plans to HFB.

“May 3rd will be the weekend,” Williams said.

Williams last visited TCU for a junior day in mid-February and was offered while on his visit. Although some schools see him as a tight end or defensive end, TCU is recruiting the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Williams as a quarterback. He is currently ranked as the No. 26 dual-threat quarterback prospect in the nation according to 247Ssports.

• Like (+1) 1

2019 Win Totals & Props
April 1, 2019
By Sportsbetting.ag

First to market, SportsBetting.ag has posted season victory totals for 22 college football teams, which are listed below.

Also below are the odds to make the 2020 College Football Playoff for eight of the nation's elite programs.

2019 College Football Win Totals - perSportsBetting.ag

Alabama regular season win total
Over 11 (+110)
Under 11 (-130)

Auburn regular season win total
Over 8 (+125)
Under 8 (-145)

Boise State regular season win total
Over 10 (-125)
Under 10 (+105)

Clemson regular season win total
Over 11 (-110)
Under 11 (-110)

Florida regular season win total
Over 9 (-145)
Under 9 (+125)

Florida State regular season win total
Over 7.5 (-110)
Under 7.5 (-110)

Georgia regular season win total
Over 10.5 (-200)
Under 10.5 (+170)

Iowa State regular season win total
Over 8 (-110)
Under 8 (-110)

LSU regular season win total
Over 9 (-120)
Under 9 (+100)

Miami, Fl. regular season win total
Over 8.5 (-145)
Under 8.5 (+125)

Michigan regular season win total
Over 9.5 (-170)
Under 9.5 (+150)

Michigan State regular season win total
Over 7 (-130)
Under 7 (+110)

Mississippi State regular season win total
Over 8 (-160)
Under 8 (+140)

Nebraska regular season win total
Over 8 (-130)
Under 8 (+110)

Notre Dame regular season win total
Over 9.5 (-125)
Under 9.5 (+105)

Ohio State regular season win total
Over 10 (+125)
Under 10 (-145)

Oklahoma regular season win total
Over 10.5 (-160)
Under 10.5 (+140)

Oregon regular season win total
Over 9.5 (+110)
Under 9.5 (-130)

Advertisement

Penn State regular season win total
Over 8.5 (-200)
Under 8.5 (+170)

Tennessee regular season win total
Over 7 (-110)
Under 7 (-110)

Texas regular season win total
Over 9.5 (-145)
Under 9.5 (+125)

Texas A&M regular season win total
Over 7.5 (-145)
Under 7.5 (+125)

UCF regular season win total
Over 10 (-110)
Under 10 (-110)

Utah regular season win total
Over 8.5 (-110)
Under 8.5 (-110)

USC regular season win total
Over 8.5 (-110)
Under 8.5 (-110)

Washington regular season win total
Over 10 (+140)
Under 10 (-160)

Washington State regular season win total
Over 8.5 (-110)
Under 8.5 (-110)

Wisconsin regular season win total
Over 8.5 (-110)
Under 8.5 (-110)

2019 GOY Odds
March 20, 2019
By Sportsbetting.ag

SportsBetting.ag has posted spreads for 45 of college football's Games of the Year.

The matchups are what the books anticipate to be the marquee games on the 2019 schedule, but if you would like odds for any other game not listed simply reply to this email.

2019 Game of the Year Odds

Odds per - SportsBetting.ag

Saturday, August 24
Florida vs Miami (+8.5)

Saturday, August 31
Florida State vs Boise State (+4.5)
Auburn vs Oregon (+3)
South Carolina vs North Carolina (+7)

Saturday, September 7
LSU at Texas (+7)
Texas A&M at Clemson (-21)
Stanford at USC (-4)

Saturday, September 14
Oklahoma at UCLA (+11.5)
Arizona State at Michigan State (-4.5)
Stanford at Central Florida (+2.5)

Saturday, September 21
Tennessee at Florida (-14.5)
Notre Dame at Georgia (-11.5)
Auburn at Texas A&M (-3.5)
Michigan at Wisconsin (+6)

Saturday, September 28
Ohio State at Nebraska (+7.5)
USC at Washington (-7.5)

Advertisement

Saturday, October 12
USC at Notre Dame (-11.5)
Florida at LSU (-3.5)
Alabama at Texas A&M (+13)
Oklahoma vs Texas (+17)

Saturday, October 19
Oregon at Washington (-6.5)
Michigan at Penn State (+6.5)

Saturday, October 26
Washington State at Oregon (-4.5)
Auburn at LSU (-7.5)
Texas at TCU (-2.5)
Notre Dame at Michigan (-8.5)
Wisconsin at Ohio State (-9)

Saturday, November 2
Georgia vs Florida (+4)
Utah at Washington (-3)
Oregon at USC (-1.5)
Miami at Florida State (-1.5)

Saturday, November 9
LSU at Alabama (-17)
Iowa at Wisconsin (-5.5)

Saturday, November 16
Georgia at Auburn (+9)
Michigan State at Michigan (-14.5)

Saturday, November 23
UCLA at USC (-6)
Texas A&M at Georgia (-15.5)
TCU at Oklahoma (-21)
Penn State at Ohio State (-10.5)

Friday, November 29
Texas Tech at Texas (-3)
Washington State at Washington (-7)
Cincinnati at Memphis (-11.5)

Saturday, November 30
Ohio State at Michigan (-6.5)
Alabama at Auburn (+14)

Saturday, December 7
Army at Navy (+10)

Odds Subject to Change

NCAA approves football overtime, targeting rule changes

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes to both the targeting and overtime rules.

With targeting, there is now a three-pronged litmus test when reviewing those penalties, and officials must confirm all three of those elements are present.  Those elements include; a defenseless player, forcible contact, and that contact directed at the head or neck area. 

There was also a fairly major change to the overtime rules.  Now, once a game enters a fifth overtime no longer will teams simply start another drive at their opponents 25 yard-line.  Instead, both teams will alternate two-point conversion attempts. 

https://wwl.radio.com/blogs/seth-dunlap/ncaa-approves-football-overtime-targeting-rule-changes?src=rss?src=rss

31 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

NCAA approves football overtime, targeting rule changes

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes to both the targeting and overtime rules.

With targeting, there is now a three-pronged litmus test when reviewing those penalties, and officials must confirm all three of those elements are present.  Those elements include; a defenseless player, forcible contact, and that contact directed at the head or neck area. 

There was also a fairly major change to the overtime rules.  Now, once a game enters a fifth overtime no longer will teams simply start another drive at their opponents 25 yard-line.  Instead, both teams will alternate two-point conversion attempts. 

https://wwl.radio.com/blogs/seth-dunlap/ncaa-approves-football-overtime-targeting-rule-changes?src=rss?src=rss

I can't see the story at work, do they define what the hell "forcible contact" means?

And I think I'm in the minority, but I hate college football overtime, primarily because I don't think the game should be settled playing a completely different game than the one you played the previous 60 minutes.  And alternating two-point conversions moves even further from that.  Boo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I can't see the story at work, do they define what the hell "forcible contact" means?

No, it doesn't define forcible contact. We'll have to wait for @Zebra Frog to tell us what it means.

There was another change to the targeting rule, too. Now, a targeting review will either be confirmed or overturned. No more of the nebulous "stand" BS. Here's another article about the changes you won't be able to read.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-approves-new-college-football-rules-including-change-to-overtime-171601306.html

2 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

As of today (April 24th), we're exactly halfway through the offseason.

giphy.gif

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

You will know it when you see it.    😀

• Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

As of today (April 24th), we're exactly halfway through the offseason.

Image result for 84 years gif

• Haha  (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

And I think I'm in the minority, but I hate college football overtime, primarily because I don't think the game should be settled playing a completely different game than the one you played the previous 60 minutes.  And alternating two-point conversions moves even further from that.  Boo.

I prefer it to the current NFL rules, but I would like to see them back the starting field position a bit. Field goal kicking is not a automatic as in the NFL so it might make teams go for it on 4th down outside of field goal range if the starting field position was just outside field goal range.

• Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

I prefer it to the current NFL rules, but I would like to see them back the starting field position a bit. Field goal kicking is not a automatic as in the NFL so it might make teams go for it on 4th down outside of field goal range if the starting field position was just outside field goal range.

I'm ok with the way the NFL does it, although I'd guarantee an equal number of possessions for both teams. 

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I'm ok with the way the NFL does it, although I'd guarantee an equal number of possessions for both teams. 

I like that punting is an option in the NFL. It isn't in the college game, so it does seem to take away the ability to say we didn't move the ball on this possession so we will kick it away, pin the other team back, hope we can make a stop and force a punt.

Overtime in basketball works because there are plenty of possessions for each team in a 5 minute period, but in football it is possible to only have the ball once in overtime. The college system seems to nail the possibility of multiple possessions, because scoring is easier.

More on the targeting, overtime, and other rules changes.

Football Rules Committee proposes modifying targeting protocols

The committee, chaired by Stanford coach David Shaw, proposed a progressive penalty for those student-athletes who receive a second targeting foul in the same season. In addition to being disqualified from that game, the player would be suspended for the team’s next contest.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/2019-03-01/football-rules-committee-proposes-modifying-targeting-protocols?src=rss