Sign in to follow this  
frogtwang

It’s too late to start a 2019 Football offseason thread.

GP on the QBs:

“Here’s how I define great; when a guy walks on the field everyone else gets better. So, when a guy walks onto the field and everyone else gets better than that will be the guy that plays. That might be all three of them but I honestly don’t know that right now. It’s hard to tell in the first five days.”

"But, if you ask me by the end of March we’ll be closer to knowing what we’re doing. I think Sonny has been happy with the competition and with all of them I think there’s an attention to detail that I don’t think we had a year ago. We’re pretty happy with that aspect.”

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Patterson-pleased-with-how-his-QBs-are-performing-in-spring-129696675/

On 3/4/2019 at 9:34 AM, PurpleDawg said:

“...there’s an attention to detail that I don’t think we had a year ago. We’re pretty happy with that aspect.”

👋🏻 SR12

8 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

👋🏻 SR12

Cant believe I didn’t pick up on that. He’s definitely throwing shade at SR, intentional or not. It definitely goes with the rumor that he rarely studied film and tried to work hard on fundamentals. He just went off the talent he had. 

Filikitonga is apparently all the way up to 310 lbs 😳

Which is quite the accomplishment considering his first weigh in at TCU was 237 lbs.

Hope springs eternal in the spring, but encouraged by the QB comments and reports so far.  All 3 healthy guys are going to get a lot of reps and attention.  LB depth is scary but seems like GP pulls guys out of a hat every year there.  

This is getting a lot of scorn, and rightly so.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, SuperToad said:

Filikitonga is apparently all the way up to 310 lbs 😳

Which is quite the accomplishment considering his first weigh in at TCU was 237 lbs.

I'm not surprised.  I found an old article about his dad when Filikitonga committed to the Frogs.  Dad was a 200 lbs LB and FB in high school and grew into a D-II All-American 300 lbs. defensive tackle at ACU.  I don't think this is the same article but it has a lot of the same info.  Chris Thomsen recruited the dad when he was at ACU.  Looks like there is a little brother who is huge.already too.  

As a youngster growing up first in Tonga and then American Samoa, Sunia “Junior” Filikitonga knew little about football and even less about the English language.

He wound up an Abilene Christian University Hall of Famer, spent a preseason in training camp with the Dallas Cowboys and now is the proud father of two boys who he believes will be better football players than he was.

Talking with Filikitonga, it is difficult to believe the former Wildcat stalwart defensive lineman didn’t speak his first words of English until the seventh grade. He earned a degree in exercise science from ACU. Now he works in business and runs a boxing facility. Additionally, this one-time nomad who made three stops away from the American mainland during his first 12 years, has been entrenched in the Euless area for almost 30 years.

“Growing up, I didn’t think about playing football,” Filikitonga, 41, said. “When I got to Hawaii (his third stop), I watched some football on television. When we moved to Texas and I saw how big it was, I got excited.”

He began to play in the seventh grade. There was no hint of the success that would follow him. He was a scrawny, yet quick youngster who played running back until his senior year. Even then, barely tipping the scale at 200 pounds and moved to the defensive line, it was hard to picture him as an impact player on any collegiate level.

After earning All-American honors at Tyler Junior College, his next stop was more predictable. Discovered by then-ACU coach Chris Thomsen while at Tyler, Filikitonga was immediately impressed when Thomsen knew his name. After his visit, he was sold on ACU where he became a first-team All-American in 1997 and signed as a free agent by the Cowboys.

Filikitonga remembers his brief professional career with great fondness. Nursing the after-effects of a major knee injury, he was never given the OK by his physician to go full blast.

And yet, “I practiced against (offensive lineman) Nate Newton and he couldn’t block me,” Filikitonga said. “But because I never got the go-ahead by doctors I was cut. It was fun while it lasted.”

Now he is a proud papa watching as oldest son Izaih (6-foot-3, 255) excels as a weak-side defensive end at Trinity Euless. Izaih will compete in the Polynesian Bowl in January and has been recruited by a number of Division I programs. Meanwhile, 12-year-old Isileli is 6-3, 300 pounds according to his dad and has Euless coaches looking ahead with excitement.

“It runs deep in our family,” Filikitonga said of football. “I am very happy and feel blessed with the talent they have. It is fun to watch them. No question, they will be better than I.”

That’s saying a lot. The 6-0 Filikitonga played his senior year at ACU at 292 pounds without losing the speed that was his calling card in high school. He was two-time first-team Lone Star Conference as well as first-team all-region. Additionally, he was selected to ACU’s all-Decade team of the 1990s and first-team all-Century selection in 2005.

https://www.reporternews.com/story/sports/college/acu/football/2017/11/29/filikitonga-looks-back-time-acu-football-team/904231001/

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Athlon flat out doesn’t respect TCU. They never have. An Athlon article that doesn’t take a backdoor slap at TCU is a rare find.

• Upvote (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

I'm not surprised.  I found an old article about his dad when Filikitonga committed to the Frogs.  Dad was a 200 lbs LB and FB in high school and grew into a D-II All-American 300 lbs. defensive tackle at ACU. 

I know a guy who played with the elder Filikitonga in high school.  Said he was the most freakishly strong person he's ever met, and that he didn't really fill out his frame until much later.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:01 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Lol. I love Jamie. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Lol. I love Jamie. 

He's a good guy.

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

He's a good guy.

He lived down the hall from me Freshman year in clark.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Very interesting article about the CFB analyst's job. It's centered on LSU's program, but still a good read.

What's an analyst? An inside look at one of the crucial staff positions in college football

There's really no firm definition of what an analyst is in the NCAA rulebook; the position is somewhat created out of a loophole.

Analysts fall under a category of coach that isn't considered "countable" by the NCAA, which means that although they are prohibited from directly coaching players or going on off-campus recruiting trips, there is no limit on how many analysts a program can have on staff — a major debate among programs with smaller budgets.

Essentially, analysts are tasked with the responsibility of creating detailed gameplans that traditional coaches would never have the time to do themselves.

Perhaps an analyst's job is best explained by taking the elevator to the second floor of Tiger Stadium, walking down the hall to the row of coaches offices, and imagining the room where Coyle and the rest of the analysts stared into monitors late into the night.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_314ad92a-468b-11e9-a3d0-47f6e384e1e8.html?src=rss