Sign in to follow this  
frogtwang

It’s too late to start a 2019 Football offseason thread.

Our defense is going to be really stout.  Here's a list of guys I think will be 1st or 2nd team all Big 12.

DT:  Blacklock and Bethley

DE:  Mathis and Blackshear

LB:  Wallow

CB:  Gladney

S:  Gaines

Mathis could be Big 12 freshman of the year on defense.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So I was looking at the roster today. Going to give my brief analysis position by position.

QB- 6 guys. Pros and cons to all of them. We've discussed it, but I think its Rogers. Others think it Collins or Delton, and some even are CONVINCED (other board) that its Duggan. Rogers and Duggan clearly have the most upside. I bet we see more than one guy this season. Very much a source of concern, but I think we end up okay.

RB- Pretty stacked assuming Anderson and Sewo have their heads on straight. Good backups too in Barlow and Demercardo. We should be set here. Lots of Talent

WR- Reagor is obviously a stud, but who steps up opposite of him. What about the slot? Lets hope that hunt, barber, or one of the Davis boys can shine. Not too worried about this group, but we need a good #2

TE- Do we use those? Pro Wells came on last year and is big. There is another guy too who is big and athletic. We will see.

OL- Finally seems like a really good group. Niang is playing for first round $$. Good experience all over. Can someone step up at Center?

DL- Even though we lost two studs, we still have guys all over the place. Can Bowen finally stay healthy? Can Blacklock round back to 2017 form? Also have a RS Fresh who can contribute.

LB- Group I'm most worried about. Not a guy over 225. I really like Wallow he is just still toooooo dang small. Who plays on the other side of him? Generally we do a 4 man rotation. Wilson has a lot of years in the program but can never stay healthy. Need some one to step up big time.

CB- A lot like DL, talented experienced and deep. Gladney is a potential first round guy. Lewis has been around forever. Reed and Daniels can play.'

S- Also super deep, but who steps up? Gaines is a bad dude who can play on sundays. Scott is solid and Van Zandt seemed to start to click last year. A few other guys like Vonger and #22 (wont even try to spell) could make some noise.

Overall I'm super excited and optimistic (I always am) but this year, the D should be nasty. If a QB steps up, a #2 WR emerges, and the OL plays like we know they can. Watch out Big 12, watch out NCAA. I'm saying 11-1 regular season (we still don't figure OU out but UT, and ISU do) with a drumming of a 1 loss (that loss is it us) UT in the Big 12 championship.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Ah forgot to talk special teams.

Who are the Returners?

Who finally wins the kicking job? Song or Bunce?

Is the Aussie Punter all we expect he is?

Dylan Thomas and Taye Barber will probably be the guys behind Reagor.  Thomas looked like he might have a breakout season based on his play against tOSU (2 catches for 49 yds) and then he got hurt.  I've heard GP is real high on both of these guys. 

Biggest questions I have: 

1. A receiver who can make the other team pay a price for double teaming Reagor. I think Barber will be fine inside, with Davis and Barkley to rotate. Who's on the other side? Hights, Hunt, Stephens, maybe Conwright? Our new receiver coach has to earn his money.

2. Second string offensive line. It looks like we might have the best starting OL in the Big 12. Harris is depth, but we will need a couple more to step up. There were some spring reports that Bolisomi and White made good progress.

3. Can we have good enough return men to keep Reagor safe on the bench? Davis I think for kickoffs, but he fumbles too much to handle punts. Nothing worse than a fumbled punt.

4. Sewo. We should have a good running game without him, but could be a super running game with that big horse to complement the speedsters.

5. I have no questions about the defense. Gonna be smashmouth.

6. Who starts at quarterback? I think they are all good, so whoever wins the competition will be good. Just don't turn the ball over.

7. Road warriors. I think we win in the Carter. It will be real hard to go undefeated through Norman, Lubbock, Stillwater, Ames and Manhattan.

Preseason camp can't get here soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1

Settling

TCU football needs the confidence to step out of the middleweights with non-conference scheduling.

TCU’s non-conference schedule has and continues to be formulaic. Open with multi-directional state university, play a middle tier team from a major conference, and finish with long-time rival SMU. I’m not suggesting pummeling the Ponies should change. There is something to be said for maintaining storied rivalries. Purple proponents need to rethink how and who they’re playing from the other power conferences.

https://www.fwweekly.com/2019/07/10/settling/

On 7/19/2019 at 8:05 PM, Burner said:

1. A receiver who can make the other team pay a price for double teaming Reagor. I think Barber will be fine inside, with Davis and Barkley to rotate. Who's on the other side? Hights, Hunt, Stephens, maybe Conwright? Our new receiver coach has to earn his money.

2. Second string offensive line. It looks like we might have the best starting OL in the Big 12. Harris is depth, but we will need a couple more to step up. There were some spring reports that Bolisomi and White made good progress.

3. Can we have good enough return men to keep Reagor safe on the bench? Davis I think for kickoffs, but he fumbles too much to handle punts. Nothing worse than a fumbled punt.

4. Sewo. We should have a good running game without him, but could be a super running game with that big horse to complement the speedsters.

6. Who starts at quarterback? I think they are all good, so whoever wins the competition will be good. Just don't turn the ball over.

7. Road warriors. I think we win in the Carter. It will be real hard to go undefeated through Norman, Lubbock, Stillwater, Ames and Manhattan.

Agree with all. But LB size scares me.

7 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Settling

TCU football needs the confidence to step out of the middleweights with non-conference scheduling.

TCU’s non-conference schedule has and continues to be formulaic. Open with multi-directional state university, play a middle tier team from a major conference, and finish with long-time rival SMU. I’m not suggesting pummeling the Ponies should change. There is something to be said for maintaining storied rivalries. Purple proponents need to rethink how and who they’re playing from the other power conferences.

https://www.fwweekly.com/2019/07/10/settling/

Well, the author says that we lost our final game of the 2014 season to Baylor (which supposedly cost us the CFP) and an error like that pretty much convinced me that he doesn't know what he's talking about.  What actually happened was that the committee found a way to drop us from 3rd to 6th despite the fact that we beat Iowa State by 52 points in the final game that year.  And if we finish any season with only 1-loss, they seem likely to do it again - they'll always find a way if that's what they want to do.  So it seems to me that our best chance to make the CFP is to go undefeated and playing top teams inhibits that possibility.  That was CDC's theory anyway and our next decade of scheduling was essentially determined by the Texas AD.  And we did play Ohio State last year (and Clemson and Stanford and LSU in recent years), but Ohio State's key loss last year wasn't to us - it was to Purdue, who is on our schedule this year.  Of course, we now have a CCG, which we didn't have in 2014, which complicates the issue a little - would a W over Baylor in the 2014 CCG have been enough to stave off the Buckeyes?  Who knows?  Probably not.

• Upvote (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Jared said:

Well, the author says that we lost our final game of the 2014 season to Baylor (which supposedly cost us the CFP) and an error like that pretty much convinced me that he doesn't know what he's talking about.  What actually happened was that the committee found a way to drop us from 3rd to 6th despite the fact that we beat Iowa State by 52 points in the final game that year.  And if we finish any season with only 1-loss, they seem likely to do it again - they'll always find a way if that's what they want to do.  So it seems to me that our best chance to make the CFP is to go undefeated and playing top teams inhibits that possibility.  That was CDC's theory anyway and our next decade of scheduling was essentially determined by the Texas AD.  And we did play Ohio State last year (and Clemson and Stanford and LSU in recent years), but Ohio State's key loss last year wasn't to us - it was to Purdue, who is on our schedule this year.  Of course, we now have a CCG, which we didn't have in 2014, which complicates the issue a little - would a W over Baylor in the 2014 CCG have been enough to stave off the Buckeyes?  Who knows?  Probably not.

Exactly right on. Go undefeated against a Baylor-like schedule and the Frogs will be in the playoff. Lose one game, even it it's Alabama, and we are out. The conference championship game doesn't help us, it just means we have to win 13 instead of 12.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 7/19/2019 at 8:05 PM, Burner said:

At receiver, reports from the spring are that Mikel Barkley needs to get stronger and be more consistent.  He has the speed to make corners get back on their heels at the snap though.  Hights has the speed and length to scare some people but he seems to be a one trick pony so far in his career.  He has 6 catches in 3 seasons for an average of 36.5 ypc.  I don't remember any catch he's ever made that wasn't a fly route.  I'm sure there was a bubble screen mixed in here and there but not many.  Stephens is also a possibility on the outside with Dylan Thomas playing inside along with Barber and D. Davis. 

I'm excited about the O-line too.  Jeremy Clark has nice article on Niang today where Niang really praises Chris Thomsen and how much Thomsen has helped him improve over his freshman season (pre-Thomsen).  Center is really the only question mark and I think we will have 8 good lineman which is what GP says you really need.

Good question about returns.  My best guess is Taye Barber for punts and maybe Darius Anderson on kicks. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Burner said:

Exactly right on. Go undefeated against a Baylor-like schedule and the Frogs will be in the playoff. Lose one game, even it it's Alabama, and we are out. The conference championship game doesn't help us, it just means we have to win 13 instead of 12.

Well, I don't want to go full Baylor; that is, I want to play a weakish schedule, but I don't want TCU to get a reputation for always playing a weak schedule.  So an occasional Ohio State, LSU or Clemson showing up on the schedule helps protect against that.  Plus, even though it is unlikely, I want the Frogs to have at least an arguable chance to make the CFP even with 1 loss.  We almost made it in 2014 and it was really a set of circumstances involving an undefeated Florida State and Ohio State winning the Big10 CCG huge over Wisconsin that gave the committee its reason(s) for jobbing us.  Given the right circumstances, we might have a chance with 1 loss.  A full-blown Baylor schedule might prevent that.  And, if we go undefeated, I don't want there to be a chance that we don't make it - as long as the Big12 is strong, I think we always would, but things could change and it's possible that they could trash talk even a P5 conference so much that its champ could be left out.  They're doing it right now a little towards the Pac12 - just imagine that continuing and accelerating for a few more years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's apparently an article in the Athletic today by David Ubben about how TCU emerged as the biggest winner in realignment - can anybody with a subscription tell us what it says?

21 minutes ago, Jared said:

There's apparently an article in the Athletic today by David Ubben about how TCU emerged as the biggest winner in realignment - can anybody with a subscription tell us what it says?

Yep!  

It mostly recaps the things we already know about - the status of TCU in the WAC/CUSA/MWC, the hiring of Del Conte, the Dixon-aided Big East invite, the Hail Mary trip by Del Conte to go talk to Dodds in Austin.  It does mention, briefly, TCU's watching of the almost Big 12/Pac 12 merger and their hopes to bring the Big 12 leftovers (Baylor, KU, K-State & Iowa State) into the fold (doesn't mention if that would've been in the Big East, necessarily.  It also mentions Boschini getting "the call" from Chuck Neinas and abruptly walking out of a meeting (doesn't mention with whom) that he was having at Panera. Then it also discusses the difference in TV revenue - about $1 million the last year in the MWC vs. nearly $40 million this year!

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

It also mentions Boschini getting "the call" from Chuck Neinas and abruptly walking out of a meeting (doesn't mention with whom) that he was having at Panera.

At least it wasn't Big Kahuna Burger - I hear they make a tasty burger!

It was probably his daily meeting about whether and how the "C" is being taken out of "TCU."  I'm sure he's talked about it since with whomever it was with.

22 hours ago, Jared said:

Well, I don't want to go full Baylor; that is, I want to play a weakish schedule, but I don't want TCU to get a reputation for always playing a weak schedule.  So an occasional Ohio State, LSU or Clemson showing up on the schedule helps protect against that.  Plus, even though it is unlikely, I want the Frogs to have at least an arguable chance to make the CFP even with 1 loss.  We almost made it in 2014 and it was really a set of circumstances involving an undefeated Florida State and Ohio State winning the Big10 CCG huge over Wisconsin that gave the committee its reason(s) for jobbing us.  Given the right circumstances, we might have a chance with 1 loss.  A full-blown Baylor schedule might prevent that.  And, if we go undefeated, I don't want there to be a chance that we don't make it - as long as the Big12 is strong, I think we always would, but things could change and it's possible that they could trash talk even a P5 conference so much that its champ could be left out.  They're doing it right now a little towards the Pac12 - just imagine that continuing and accelerating for a few more years.

I've always held that thought as well. I don't think we need to go 13-0 in order to make it. 2014 was a weird year. FSU or Ohio State lose one more and we're in. 

Lets say that we go 12-1 this year with a loss to one of OU, UT, ISU, or idk, WVU? But we win the big 12 championship. You got to think we're in. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I've always held that thought as well. I don't think we need to go 13-0 in order to make it. 2014 was a weird year. FSU or Ohio State lose one more and we're in. 

Lets say that we go 12-1 this year with a loss to one of OU, UT, ISU, or idk, WVU? But we win the big 12 championship. You got to think we're in. 

I agree.  Also keep in mind that 2014 was the first year, so they wanted to make as big of a splash as possible.  The beef is not with OSU, but rather FSU.  They looked terrible for most of the year, barely winning several games, but were the defending national champs and undefeated for the second straight year, with the defending Heisman winner.  I honestly believe the debate in the room was between TCU and FSU.  Ultimately, they held their noses and let FSU in, which killed two birds with one stone.  First, they did not leave out an undefeated defending champ and second, the TCU-Baylor H2H issue would have been a second "controversy."

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not sure why exactly, but I woke up this morning with an abiding hatred for Arkansas-Pine Bluff.  The Golden Lions walloped Cumberland last year 55-0 and, not only that, they finished the season with a stunning 15-10 upset over Texas Southern.  So, not only do they beat (historic - uh, they're Baptist since 1946) Presbyterian schools, they also beat Texas schools.  This CANNOT STAND!!

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Just heard that the new east side suites are not opening at all this season.

Re: East side. No mention of refunds.

From the Star-Telegram:

"The expansion project delay affects about 2,000 fans, and Donati said the athletic department is working with those fans on ticket packages for the upcoming season."