Sign in to follow this  
frogtwang

It’s too late to start a 2019 Football offseason thread.

Good news! LB Dylan Jordan will be able to play for the Frogs after all.

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Good-news-Dylan-Jordan-133584648/

• Upvote (+1) 2

It looks like Garrett Altman has moved up from video assistant to offensive graduate assistant coach, replacing Nick Kelly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Big 12 Media Days is live on FS2 and the LHN.  Les Miles is a terrible public speaker, but I bet Kansas is better this year than in prior years - apparently, they're going to pass a lot.

Coach P is up next.  He starts with the "Coach P" and "Gary" shtick and he's gonna focus on "winning" this year.  He thanks Jerry Jones for hosting - it only took him 17 minutes to get to JerryWorld from campus and was able to have a staff meeting this morning.  He blathers for awhile and whines about the injuries.  We're older this year - he likes that - and he's "ready to go."  He obfuscates about who will be the starting QB and talks about his golf game instead.  He's got 6 candidates and they all "have a story" and a "chip on their shoulder."  He talks about Alex Delton seeking us out and rolling his sleeves up.  He talks about Mike and Justin.  He says the Big 12 is getting "bigger" with much more focus on TE's.  FS2 puts up a graphic saying he was the New Mexico "State" DC.  He talks about the coaching history of innumerable Big12 coaches.  He says TCU has a better reputation outside Texas than within it; which helps with recruiting.  He's confident about his D although we're replacing NFL draftees.  They need to "grow up" though.  He wants to rush the passer without blitzing.  He's furious with those who claim we're not a "big-time" program.  He brags about the Carter and our facilities.  He's appropriately obsequious to our Board, our Chancellor and that Donati guy.  Our goal is to become a "blueblood" - he's furious with those who claim that we're not.  He's concerned about our "mentality" and we need to grow up and have better chemistry - he's furious with those players who won't grow up and want to play but don't want to play well.

That's about it - nothing on Sewo.  He seems to be appropriately furious at this stage of the pre-season.  Ross Blacklock does an interview - he says he's 100% and couldn't be more excited to play this year.  Jalen Reagor does an interview - he likes to do things "fast" and can't imagine doing things slow.  He wants to earn the Biletnikoff award.  He doesn't pick a favorite QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I didn't see this posted; please forgive if I missed it.  Our new scoreboard is slightly larger than Baylor's:

https://www.frogsowar.com/2019/7/14/20693811/revivalry-is-alive-and-well-new-tcu-scoreboard-built-with-the-bears-in-mind-baylor-rhule-patterson

The loge boxes, suites, and club seats being built on the stadium’s east side will be complemented by a new, improved scoreboard as well - one that will measure 108’4” wide and 48’6” high. That’s 5,500 square feet of Snackwards Cam, for those of you playing at home.

While it was a foregone conclusion that the Horned Frogs would take this opportunity to upgrade a scoreboard that left something to be desired, the measurements were set with a very specific goal in mind: be bigger than the one at the school 90 miles down I-35. Baylor's video board measures in at a barely visible 107’ wide by 47’ high. The Bears’ McLane Stadium opened in 2014.

Not to critique Ms. Triebwasser's math, but that puts us at a little over 5254 ft^2 compared to baptist's 5029, a little over 225 more square feet.  Suck it, rapey bears!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Does everyone have to squint (or use binoculars) to make any image out on that piddly little Baylor scoreboard?

3 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

That’s 5,500 square feet of Snackwards Cam, for those of you playing at home.

Joy. 🤮

5 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I didn't see this posted; please forgive if I missed it.  Our new scoreboard is slightly larger than Baylor's:

https://www.frogsowar.com/2019/7/14/20693811/revivalry-is-alive-and-well-new-tcu-scoreboard-built-with-the-bears-in-mind-baylor-rhule-patterson

The loge boxes, suites, and club seats being built on the stadium’s east side will be complemented by a new, improved scoreboard as well - one that will measure 108’4” wide and 48’6” high. That’s 5,500 square feet of Snackwards Cam, for those of you playing at home.

While it was a foregone conclusion that the Horned Frogs would take this opportunity to upgrade a scoreboard that left something to be desired, the measurements were set with a very specific goal in mind: be bigger than the one at the school 90 miles down I-35. Baylor's video board measures in at a barely visible 107’ wide by 47’ high. The Bears’ McLane Stadium opened in 2014.

Not to critique Ms. Triebwasser's math, but that puts us at a little over 5254 ft^2 compared to baptist's 5029, a little over 225 more square feet.  Suck it, rapey bears!

pwned

Going to the Purdue game? Registration deadline for the Alumni Association trip is July 31!

https://book.anthonytravel.com/r/tcu-horned-frogs-football/tcu-19-football-at-purdue-land-package-pkg-6664

The Ultimate Horned Frogs Football Experience!

Game Ticket is not included in the package. To purchase game tickets please visit GoFrogs.com

Travel Package Inclusions:

3 Nights Hotel Accommodations at The Westin Michigan Ave

• Stay in the ideal location on the Magnificent Mile with plenty of attractions and dining steps away from your hotel!
  • Check In: Thursday, September 12
  • Check Out: Sunday, September 15

Welcome Event on the Spirit of Chicago

• Start the weekend with the Official TCU Alumni Association Welcome Event on the Spirit of Chicago, Thursday, September 12!
  • Dinner buffet and beverages included.
  • Cruise Time: 7:00- 9:30 p.m.

Wrigleyville Rooftop Experience

• Attend the Chicago Cubs vs. Pittsburgh Pirates game, Friday September 13 at 3:05 p.m.
  • Reserved rooftop seating overlooking left field.
  • Ballpark fare, beer, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages included

Official TCU Alumni Tailgate Admission

• Join us at the Official TCU Alumni Association Hospitality Tailgate!
  • Includes entertainment, meal and fun for everyone!

Gameday Transportation

• Round-trip bus transportation between the hotel and Ross-Ade Stadium.

Welcome Event Transportation

• Guests will be provided round-trip transportation from your hotel and the Navy Pier where you will board the Spirit of Chicago.
  • Bus will be departing from the hotel at 6:00 p.m.

Commemorative Souvenir

• Your official souvenir to get you gameday ready!

Credential & Lanyard

On-Site Experiences Anthony Travel Tour Director

• Dedicated Anthony Travel staff members will be on site and available for every step of the trip!

All Taxes and Fees

View Full Reservation Policies

Bill Connelly's Big 12 Preview. Use the link to jump right to his bit about TCU.

TCU Horned Frogs

2018 record and rankings: 7-6 (No. 43 S&P+, No. 47 FPI)
2019 S&P+ projection: 7.1 wins (No. 34)
2019 FPI projection: 7.3 wins (No. 35)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27162317/big-12-preview-oklahoma-qb-machine-adds-jalen-hurts#TCU

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Senor Ballistico said:

I have a feeling the Frogs will surprise many this year.  I'm  thinking 10-2 is very possible.

Goooooo FROGS!!!!

The defense will be good enough for 10-2 if we can just find a QB who can get the ball into the playmakers' hands and not turn it over.  I'm feeling more and more like that might be Collins.  He's the safest pick out of all of them in my opinion.  He only threw 2 INTs last year vs 6 TD's and threw the long ball extremely well in the games against OU and KU.  He's not the sexy pick but with a better running game and O-line he might be good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

The defense will be good enough for 10-2 if we can just find a QB who can get the ball into the playmakers' hands and not turn it over.  I'm feeling more and more like that might be Collins.  He's the safest pick out of all of them in my opinion.  He only threw 2 INTs last year vs 6 TD's and threw the long ball extremely well in the games against OU and KU.  He's not the sexy pick but with a better running game and O-line he might be good enough. 

I just don't see it. 

I still think its going to be Rodgers. Not sure why everyone says he's not healthy. He played in the bowl game and in the Spring. Dude is fine and even if he's "only" 90% he's still 5x the talent Collins is. 

With Collins as the backup. A strong Backup at that. 

36 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I just don't see it. 

I still think its going to be Rodgers. Not sure why everyone says he's not healthy. He played in the bowl game and in the Spring. Dude is fine and even if he's "only" 90% he's still 5x the talent Collins is. 

With Collins as the backup. A strong Backup at that. 

This GP quote from 247 worries me a lot: 

“He’s running through the off-season, it’s just hard for him taking off and doing things,” Patterson said of Rogers. “But, I wouldn’t want to hinder him where someone could hurt him if he had to play in a ball game. I’m not going to elaborate on exactly what everything is so somebody doesn’t try to attack him if that happens.”

It sounds to me like Rogers still has significant mobility issues.  It may take another year for those nerves to start firing again or God forbid they could never recover.  I think we're probably down to Delton, Collins and Duggan this season unless Rogers has some miraculous recovery or they decide he's just so much better as a passer that they can risk his lack of mobility.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

It sounds to me like Rogers still has significant mobility issues.  It may take another year for those nerves to start firing again or God forbid they could never recover.  I think we're probably down to Delton, Collins and Duggan this season unless Rogers has some miraculous recovery or they decide he's just so much better as a passer that they can risk his lack of mobility.

Its possible that Baldwin gets into the mix come October.  Clemson's QB last year did not become the full-time starter until a few games in. If Baldwin or Duggan show the tools, I could see a situation where one of then takes over the job from Collins after a few weeks.

14 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Its possible that Baldwin gets into the mix come October.  Clemson's QB last year did not become the full-time starter until a few games in. If Baldwin or Duggan show the tools, I could see a situation where one of then takes over the job from Collins after a few weeks.

Maybe but he's going to have to get his release and I'm not sure it's 100% certain that's going to happen.  From what JC is saying on HFB, it seems like Delton may have the inside track to start the first game but I'm kinda in the skeptical camp when it comes to Delton transforming from a guy who couldn't win the starting job at K State to someone who can beat out the more talented QB's we have on our roster. 

The LHN guys were pretty sure it would be Delton.

1 hour ago, Jared said:

The LHN guys were pretty sure it would be Delton.

Since Collins missed camp and Duggan is a freshman, I have no doubt that Delton is probably ahead now but that may not be the case after fall camp.  I think Collins has a much better arm that Delton and Duggan supposedly has a cannon too.  If we're looking to throw the ball downfield more like GP has said, I think one of those two guys will wind up being the starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2019 at 2:17 PM, Senor Ballistico said:

I have a feeling the Frogs will surprise many this year.  I'm  thinking 10-2 is very possible.

Goooooo FROGS!!!!

I'm thinking 10-2 is likely, 15-0 is possible.

If we stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

Justin Rogers may be a superstar, I hope so, but I'm not ready to proclaim  him such when I haven't seen him play in a game. Especially since he hasn't played or practiced at full speed for almost two years.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that the NCAA will approve a transfer waiver for a player coming to TCU. We aren't Ohio State. And our coach has publicly criticized easy waivers.

I think Mike Collins can do what we need him to do, that is hand off the ball, throw an accurate deep ball and throw to the right color jersey. Alex Delton is a talented runner who can take over when we are trying to kill clock and protect a lead.

All with the caveat that, although  my name isn't Jon Snow, I know nothing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

7 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

1 hour ago, Burner said:

Justin Rogers may be a superstar, I hope so, but I'm not ready to proclaim  him such when I haven't seen him play in a game. Especially since he hasn't played or practiced at full speed for almost two years.

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that the NCAA will approve a transfer waiver for a player coming to TCU. We aren't Ohio State. And our coach has publicly criticized easy waivers.

I think Mike Collins can do what we need him to do, that is hand off the ball, throw an accurate deep ball and throw to the right color jersey. Alex Delton is a talented runner who can take over when we are trying to kill clock and protect a lead.

All with the caveat that, although  my name isn't Jon Snow, I know nothing.

Oh yeah, I don't know anything either. But 2 things.

1) When have we ever trusted Gary to show his hand (accurately) when talking about injuries or availability. Mike Freeze, Tommy Blake, Listenbee, Boykin, the list goes on and on. Who knows what Gary is actually thinking.

2) I know what my eyes showed me in his 2 snaps in the cheese itz bowl. The dude is a beast. 99 out of 100 D1 QBs don't make the play he did. Rogers, assuming he is mostly healthy. Is the guy. And I don't think they are playing him 9 months ago if he wasn't close.

Collins is just a guy. A backup. Delton, like Angelos said, unless he learned how to pass in the offseason, I'm skeptical. They very well could start the season, but if we end up with those 2 guys in November we aren't winning more than 8 games.

Duggan is a True freshman and needs 15-20 lbs. Its not him, not this year.

But again. What do I know?

• Like (+1) 1

GameDay coming to Sundance Square August 31.

• Like (+1) 1