Sign in to follow this  
Vlade Divac

Graduate Transfer QBs

Aside from Jalen Hurts (Alabama), here are some QBs that could be or will be on the graduate transfer market:

De’Andre Johnson (FAU)

Alex Delton (Kansas State)

Ben Hicks (SMU)

JC Robles (Colorado State)

Chance Thrasher (Coastal Carolina)

Jackson Tyner (Rice)

London Johnson (Charleston Southern)

Any I’m missing? Unless it’s Hurts, I’d say whatever transfer we land is purely for depth. None of those guys would challenge Collins or Rogers. 

Edit (12-24-18):

Brandon Wimbush (Notre Dame)

Edit (12-26-18):

Tyree Jackson (Buffalo)

8 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

Any I’m missing? Unless it’s Hurts, I’d say whatever transfer we land is purely for depth. None of those guys would challenge Collins or Rogers. 

That was my immediate reaction as well, though in fairness I've never seem most of them play.  

I think you are correct. With Riley Neal gone and about .000000001 percent chance Hurts wants to be a Horned Frog, I doubt we add a quarterback. 

1 hour ago, Burner said:

I think you are correct. With Riley Neal gone and about .000000001 percent chance Hurts wants to be a Horned Frog, I doubt we add a quarterback. 

I'll just copy and paste over here what I posted in the recruiting thread on Friday. LeBreton is a pretty trusted source and GP likes him a lot, so I give weight to what he writes.

Gil LeBreton speculating (with good backup arguments) that CGP is going after Jalen Hurts as grad transfer QB for next season. Has it down to us (favored) and Oklahoma for the two teams the kid would most likely choose to play for since his parents live in Channelview and we'd be a close-ish drive for them to watch him play; UT already has a QB; and, he probably wouldn't want to sign with an SEC team and go up against his old coach. GP mentioned maybe looking for a grad transfer after the bowls were over and was a little cagey when asked, jokingly, about Hurts, which got Gil to pondering the possibility in the first place. 

12 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

Aside from Jalen Hurts (Alabama), here are some QBs that could be or will be on the graduate transfer market:

De’Andre Johnson (FAU)

Alex Delton (Kansas State)

Ben Hicks (SMU)

JC Robles (Colorado State)

Chance Thrasher (Coastal Carolina)

Jackson Tyner (Rice)

London Johnson (Charleston Southern)

Wasnt De’Andre Johnson the kid from last Chance U? Former Florida State guy? He was a 5 star if I remeber. I bet he could compete. Not that he’d come here tho 

If Hurts knows Locksley, he won't want to go with him to Maryland. If he leads Alabama to another national title, he just might decide to stay put. If he wants to leave, why not go to the school whose last two quarterbacks won the Heisman? Or, he could just go to the SEC school that offers the biggest paycheck. I think Gil's blowing smoke for the home fans.

7 hours ago, Burner said:

If Hurts knows Locksley, he won't want to go with him to Maryland. If he leads Alabama to another national title, he just might decide to stay put. If he wants to leave, why not go to the school whose last two quarterbacks won the Heisman? Or, he could just go to the SEC school that offers the biggest paycheck. I think Gil's blowing smoke for the home fans.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

If we’re going to bring in one of these “free agent” QBs. This is the year. 

Jalen Hurts and Brandon Wimbush are the only ones that move my needle. 

I don’t think he’s leaving, but Mason Fine (UNT) made some weird transfer comments toward the end of the season. That’d probably be the best fit.

I also like Cole McDonald (Hawaii), but not sure if he’s graduating. Seems clear they’re committed to Chevan Cordero, as they should, so he might be looking. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

I don’t think he’s leaving, but Mason Fine (UNT) made some weird transfer comments toward the end of the season. That’d probably be the best fit.

I also like Cole McDonald (Hawaii), but not sure if he’s graduating. Seems clear they’re committed to Chevan Cordero, as they should, so he might be looking. 

Wodner if we actually have a shot at either 

2 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

Cole McDonald is a redshirt sophomore.  I think he's a better quarterback than Chevan Cordero but Cordero has been successful coming off the bench and may win the starting job next year.  I know Nick Rolovich is high on Cole McDonald and won't let go of him easily.  I'm sure he'd love to keep both of his quarterbacks. 

1 minute ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

This is the new normal 

Yup. I quite like it. Seems like a good way to encourage guys to get their degree. Until they’re paid, they should do everything within the rules to make the most of their career prospects. For a fringe G5 QB, one year at a P5 could make a million dollar difference. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Vlade Divac said:

Yup. I quite like it. Seems like a good way to encourage guys to get their degree. Until they’re paid, they should do everything within the rules to make the most of their career prospects. For a fringe G5 QB, one year at a P5 could make a million dollar difference. 

Yeah I agree. I don’t hate it. 

21 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Dang it, Gil. You got my hopes up.

Maybe he’s just getting some application practice? My mom had me apply to Tech and Baylor just to get some reps. 

• Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Vlade Divac said:

My mom had me apply to Tech and Baylor

Did you wash in Borax afterward?

it's obvious that Hurts is not coming to TCU.

At least, Gil Lebreton doesnt think so.

CryptoMiner said: 
Hey Gil, did Patterson really say “Uhhp?"
That's the way I heard it. But it could have been more of a "wuhhpp" sound.
After 18 years I figure I've heard all of his noises, and I hadn't heard one like this before. He was trying to drop the subject immediately. 

Look, it makes sense for Cumbie to contact Hurts at some point. The last two Heisman winners were transfers. Hurts, by all accounts, is a great kid and he is going to be a great asset wherever he goes. My guess is that he will go to Oklahoma and play for Lincoln Riley for a year.