Sign in to follow this  
SuperToad

Signing Day Thread

Lets get this show on show on the road!!!

I will update this post as they roll in.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Although Foster of the Newton trio has signed, it appears that Barlow and Brown will not. Brown appears to have grade issues, and Barlow might be getting cold feet and wants to look around. Rumored to be looking at Minnesota, KU, and moreso Arkansas. He apparently really likes it there, but that program is an absolute dumpster fire right now.

When looking at Duggan's stats, remember that he sat out in the 2nd half of 5-6 games because it was already a blow out at that point. So that 2,100 yards and 24 TD's could have easily been 3,000-3,500+ yards and 35+ TD's.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Once McCuin signs this evening, we will have 22 signed with Barlow likely to sign in February.  Brown may or may not sign now or later.  He has some unspecified issue and is no longer on the Newton team.  Apparently, it's not grades.  Technically the limit is 25 but we have some kids who will enroll early and count against the 2018 class which will allow us to sign a few more kids.  I think they're looking at getting a grad transfer at QB and maybe at DE as well.  Then, they may fill in with some off the radar type JUCO kids like they did with Demercado last year and Mike Epley a couple of years ago or some high school kids that qualify late.  Paul Dawson and Matt Pryor are other examples of guys who signed way after the signing deadline and turned into players.  There have some misses like Ezra Tuaua and Pettis-Wilson too but overall our staff does a good job of beating the bushes and finding guys who can eventually contribute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

Once McCuin signs this evening, we will have 22 signed with Barlow likely to sign in February.  Brown may or may not sign now or later.  He has some unspecified issue and is no longer on the Newton team.  Apparently, it's not grades.  Technically the limit is 25 but we have some kids who will enroll early and count against the 2018 class which will allow us to sign a few more kids.  I think they're looking at getting a grad transfer at QB and maybe at DE as well.  Then, they may fill in with some off the radar type JUCO kids like they did with Demercado last year and Mike Epley a couple of years ago or some high school kids that qualify late.  Paul Dawson and Matt Pryor are other examples of guys who signed way after the signing deadline and turned into players.  There have some misses like Ezra Tuaua and Pettis-Wilson too but overall our staff does a good job of beating the bushes and finding guys who can eventually contribute.

I really appreciate your insight.  Thank you

• Upvote (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, TCaliU said:

Did we have any surprise silent commits today? I don't follow recruiting super close.

I don't think there will be any surprises today. The only late commit I think we had a slight "in" on was Powell out of Midland. But he chose Baylor because they were the only school to give him a shot at QB. Which we all know means about 3 weeks into practice before it "just didn't work out" and he's back at the position all the other schools told him he should play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Only 2 OL?

The Workman kid looks like a grown ass man.

3 OL

Coker

Brown

Williams

Thats a damn good 3 too. All three are notorious in their area.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just now, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Only 2 OL?

The Workman kid looks like a grown ass man.

3 OL.  2 OT's and 1 guard. And, we signed 5 OL last year so we're pretty good on numbers right now.  Workman does look like a beast.  He graduated from HS and then disappeared for a year or two before showing up at JUCO and then signing here so he's probably close to 22 now.  He originally committed to AFA out of high school but never enrolled. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

3 OL

Thats a damn good 3 too. All three are notorious in their area.

Agreed - I think this is one of the better OL hauls we've had in a while.  And getting two of them enrolled early is huge.

3 hours ago, Chee said:

Thanks SuperToad. 

Nice to see you here, Chee. Don't be a stranger.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

That's tough news to break to a kid.  Probably best done over dinner at Pappadeaux.

We'll have to wait 'til later to know for sure, but I think you win the karma points for the day with this one. Well done.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

So is it just me, or does Duggan need to add 20lbs or so?

Lol he definitely needs to add some bulk, especially if he's going to be a true dual threat QB. That being said, he can already throw the ball a quarter mile.