Sign in to follow this  
SuperToad

Signing Day Thread

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Should be a fun spring and fall camp. Really hope Rogers is healthy. 

Yeah you thought there was a battle last spring for QB? Now you have a 3-way battle between the most experienced guy (Collins), the highest rated QB in modern TCU recruiting history (Rogers), and the MVP of the Elite 11 (Duggan).

2 hours ago, SuperToad said:

Yeah you thought there was a battle last spring for QB? Now you have a 3-way battle between the most experienced guy (Collins), the highest rated QB in modern TCU recruiting history (Rogers), and the MVP of the Elite 11 (Duggan).

For sure. 

Honest question. What is all the hype with Duggan? Are we worried about his lack of competition in Iowa? I know he’s a dual threat guy, but his size scares me a little. 

I just know we have gotten excited about other QBs in the past (Foster sawyer, Tyler Matthews) that never really panned out.

just wondering out loud as I didn’t really follow him in HS. 

12 hours ago, SuperToad said:

I don't think there will be any surprises today. The only late commit I think we had a slight "in" on was Powell out of Midland. But he chose Baylor because they were the only school to give him a shot at QB. Which we all know means about 3 weeks into practice before it "just didn't work out" and he's back at the position all the other schools told him he should play. 

Thank you for all your insight too.  😀

10 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

For sure. 

Honest question. What is all the hype with Duggan? Are we worried about his lack of competition in Iowa? I know he’s a dual threat guy, but his size scares me a little. 

I just know we have gotten excited about other QBs in the past (Foster sawyer, Tyler Matthews) that never really panned out.

The MVP of the Elite 11 says a lot.  Also, bear in mind that Pachall was the #9 dual threat QB according to Rivals, but was never much of a runner for TCU.  

11 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

For sure. 

He's not really a small guy.  6'2" is plenty tall for a college QB.  He may look a little skinny right now but he played football, basketball, baseball and ran track in high school.  Once he gets in a college S&C program, he's going to get a lot more solid. 

He's also a really athletic kid.  Probably the most athletic QB we've ever signed.  The Nike camps have something called a SPARQ rating to measure athleticism.  It includes a 40, an agility shuttle, a vertical and something called the power throw.     https://www.freelapusa.com/what-is-the-nike-sparq-combine/  Duggan's SPARQ was the highest of any dual threat QB and better than a lot of WR's and RB's.  Here are the top 100 ranked kids from all the Nike camps and Duggan, the white kid from Iowa, is 21st overall.   He ran a 4.58 electronically timed 40 and a 4.1 shuttle.  He also ran a 21.65 200M as a junior.  He may not be a shifty as Boykin was but his 40 is much faster than what Boykin ran before the draft.

https://www.theopening.com/national-leaderboard

As for his passing ability, Jeremy Clark says that Duggan and Boykin have the strongest arms he has seen of any kid TCU has signed since he started covering the team.  Here is the 247 scouting report from their national evaluator.

Shows an excellent ability to make quick reads and get rid of the football on time. Accurate, and able to throw into tight windows and anticipate when and where receivers will be open. Shows good touch down the field. Above average athlete who can run with the ball and make throws on the move. Smart, good leader with good intangibles. Not an overwhelming physical prospect as far as size and strength, but is a plus-prospect in every other category of the position - Allen Trieu

I'm really excited about Duggan.  He and Rogers are going to get all the reps this spring because Collins will still be recovering from surgery and if Rogers isn't 100% by the fall, I would not be surprised if Duggan starts. 

I feel like Workman is another Boesen...that would make me very happy. Otherwise, this feels like a very traditional GP class. It's not going to be highly rated, some of these kids are going to end up in completely different positions, there will be some studs that come out of nowhere.

20 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

He's not really a small guy.  6'2" is plenty tall for a college QB.  He may look a little skinny right now but he played football, basketball, baseball and ran track in high school.  Once he gets in a college S&C program, he's going to get a lot more solid. 

He's also a really athletic kid.  Probably the most athletic QB we've ever signed.  The Nike camps have something called a SPARQ rating to measure athleticism.  It includes a 40, an agility shuttle, a vertical and something called the power throw.     https://www.freelapusa.com/what-is-the-nike-sparq-combine/  Duggan's SPARQ was the highest of any dual threat QB and better than a lot of WR's and RB's.  Here are the top 100 ranked kids from all the Nike camps and Duggan, the white kid from Iowa, is 21st overall.   He ran a 4.58 electronically timed 40 and a 4.1 shuttle.  He also ran a 21.65 200M as a junior.  He may not be a shifty as Boykin was but his 40 is much faster than what Boykin ran before the draft.

https://www.theopening.com/national-leaderboard

As for his passing ability, Jeremy Clark says that Duggan and Boykin have the strongest arms he has seen of any kid TCU has signed since he started covering the team.  Here is the 247 scouting report from their national evaluator.

I'm really excited about Duggan.  He and Rogers are going to get all the reps this spring because Collins will still be recovering from surgery and if Rogers isn't 100% by the fall, I would not be surprised if Duggan starts. 

What I was looking for. Thanks!

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I hope the comparisons of Duggan to that other QB who broke our hearts and shall remain nameless cease very quickly.

I have no problem with it if it is limited strictly to on the field comparisons. I would hope that off the field he is compared to Andy Dalton or post-A&M Kenny Hill.