Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

FROGS in PRO FOOTBALL 2019

9 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Where are you seeing this? I know they like him a lot there. He can play in the NFL for sure. 

It's was on his Twitter, but so vague I couldn't be sure what it was. However, the responses lead me to believe that it was a starting job with the Browns. Thanks to SuperT for the sleuthing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

1 year prove it deal... If he plays well and stays healthy. He will get PAID

Even if it doesn't work out, that's still a lot of money.

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Even if it doesn't work out, that's still a lot of money.

As long as he doesn't get hurt again and makes the team.  I doubt much of it is guaranteed (although I could be wrong about that).  

2 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

As long as he doesn't get hurt again and makes the team.  I doubt much of it is guaranteed (although I could be wrong about that).  

So, you're saying I'm not reading that correctly? It's not $3.6M for one year of work?

22 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

So, you're saying I'm not reading that correctly? It's not $3.6M for one year of work?

It is 3.6M for a season.  However, it's likely that only a part of that is guaranteed.  He may get $500k upfront but if the 49'rs later decide he can't play well enough to justify that salary, they could cut him at any time and he won't get paid whatever is remaining on the contract.  He has to play the entire season to get paid.  If he gets hurt in practice or a game and can't play, he still gets paid but if he just has some nagging injuries and is slower or less mobile than he used to be, they can cut him and not have to pay him for the whole season.  Basically, he needs to perform to get paid.  That's the way the NFL works.  Baseball is always guaranteed money, in the NFL, only the signing bonus is guaranteed.  That's the Reader's Digest version for you.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

20 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

It is 3.6M for a season.  However, it's likely that only a part of that is guaranteed.  He may get $500k upfront but if the 49'rs later decide he can't play well enough to justify that salary, they could cut him at any time and he won't get paid whatever is remaining on the contract.  He has to play the entire season to get paid.  If he gets hurt in practice or a game and can't play, he still gets paid but if he just has some nagging injuries and is slower or less mobile than he used to be, they can cut him and not have to pay him for the whole season.  Basically, he needs to perform to get paid.  That's the way the NFL works.  Baseball is always guaranteed money, in the NFL, only the signing bonus is guaranteed.  That's the Reader's Digest version for you.

The rule is not so obvious.

Starting with their 4th season, a veterans base pay is fully guaranteed if he is on the active roster in week 1.  But his 3.6 million is structured differently. He was given a 400,000 signing bonus, and his base pay is 1,100,000, which is partially (600,000) guaranteed immediately, with the remainder (500,000) falling under the veterans guarantee rule.  His remaining pay during the season will come in the form of weekly roster bonuses, which are not guaranteed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jason-verrett-14434/

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Starting with their 4th season, a veterans base pay is fully guaranteed if he is on the active roster in week 1.  But his 3.6 million is structured differently. He was given a 400,000 signing bonus, and his base pay is 1,100,000, which is partially (600,000) guaranteed immediately, with the remainder (500,000) falling under the veterans guarantee rule.  His remaining pay during the season will come in the form of weekly roster bonuses, which are not guaranteed.

Thanks.  I learned some new stuff today.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

It looks like if he stays healthy and completes the entire 2019 season, Jason will have earned almost $20M in his career.  Even with California taxes, that's a buttload of money.

32 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

It looks like if he stays healthy and completes the entire 2019 season, Jason will have earned almost $20M in his career.  Even with California taxes, that's a buttload of money.

The pay disparity between being a first round pick in the NFL and every other  round is shocking. Not to mention the second and third chances these former first rounders get.

Danny Amendola, OTOH, an undrafted free agent. has 'only' made $26MM over an 11 year career.

51 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

The pay disparity between being a first round pick in the NFL and every other  round is shocking. Not to mention the second and third chances these former first rounders get.

Danny Amendola, OTOH, an undrafted free agent. has 'only' made $26MM over an 11 year career.

The other shocking aspect of it is how weak the NFL Players Union is compared to all the other pro-sports players unions.  Relatively speaking, pro football players get treated far worse for a lot less money than players in other sports ...

• Upvote (+1) 1