Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Lanley II

Shawn Robinson transferring out

4 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

Yeah...That pretty much confirmed my worst fear about him.

Which part... the getting hit and defensive player bouncing off of him or the panic scramble that looked like a young forest gump with leg braces? The is kid built like a brick shit house. But.... man he needs to improve before next season if he wants to see meaningful game time. 

8 minutes ago, Black-it-out-Frog! said:

Which part... the getting hit and defensive player bouncing off of him or the panic scramble that looked like a young forest gump with leg braces? The is kid built like a brick shit house. But.... man he needs to improve before next season if he wants to see meaningful game time. 

Old Rogers would have gotten a couple yard on that scramble. Forest Gump with leg braces is a pretty accurate description. He ran like someone with paralysis in their leg would...which he has. I just didn't know how bad it was.

1 hour ago, SuperToad said:

Old Rogers would have gotten a couple yard on that scramble. Forest Gump with leg braces is a pretty accurate description. He ran like someone with paralysis in their leg would...which he has. I just didn't know how bad it was.

I didn't think he looked too bad on that scramble.   In fact, I thought he did about as well as Shawn would've under the same circumstances.  I definitely did not see the opportunity for a 2 yard gain unless the QB had Boykin or RGIII level running skills and I don't think Rogers was ever that guy.  The fact that they said he couldn't push off on his plant foot is more troubling to me but his mom posts on HFB and his brother tweets a lot and they are very positive about his outlook and say he has made a lot of progress FWIW.   

4 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

I didn't think he looked too bad on that scramble.   In fact, I thought he did about as well as Shawn would've under the same circumstances.  I definitely did not see the opportunity for a 2 yard gain unless the QB had Boykin or RGIII level running skills and I don't think Rogers was ever that guy.  The fact that they said he couldn't push off on his plant foot is more troubling to me but his mom posts on HFB and his brother tweets a lot and they are very positive about his outlook and say he has made a lot of progress FWIW.   

He isn't a runner? I thought he was listed as dual threat.

Tough to be thrown into a bowl game against a equal team for your first playing time as a college qb. 

46 minutes ago, Black-it-out-Frog! said:

He isn't a runner? I thought he was listed as dual threat.

Tough to be thrown into a bowl game against a equal team for your first playing time as a college qb. 

Shawn and Pachall were dual threats too and neither ever looked that good running the ball to me.  I don’t recall ever seeing a hudl video of Rogers where I went “wow” about his running ability.   

Being a good runner and being good with ones legs, as a quarterback, are sometimes very different things.

For instance - Dan Marino was not a threat to run the ball nearly at all, yet was fantastic at using his legs/feet to elude pressure in the pocket.  Dak Prescott, on the other hand, is very productive gaining yardage as a runner - but is among the worst in the league at avoiding pocket pressure and escaping sacks.

4 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Pachall ... dual threats too and neither ever looked that good running the ball

As mentioned just a couple of days ago in chat, remember when we used to say how CP4 looked like a giraffe when he took off running with the ball?

tenor.gif?itemid=11648894

14 hours ago, SuperToad said:

Yeah...That pretty much confirmed my worst fear about him.

I honestly thought he looked just fine. Considering it was his first college snap. And really his first snap in a game in almost 18 months. 

The fact the CAL player just bounced off him was awesome to me. He didn’t have much room to cut up field anyway and was probably shocked from the hit. 

If you watch it again, that cal player came in FAST. Justin has zero time to react. 

14 hours ago, SuperToad said:

All in on Collins. Unless we get Hurts. In which case... All in on Hurts.

4 minutes ago, Vlade Divac said:

I’m intrigued by the freshman Duggan just because he’s such a good athlete.  I realize the competition is a bunch of white guys from Iowa but Duggan looks really fast on his Hudl and he seems to have really good instincts on when to cut upfield.  Anyway, he did run a sub 22 sec 200M as a junior so it’s probably not just the competition that makes him look fast.  

2 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

I’m intrigued by the freshman Duggan just because he’s such a good athlete.  I realize the competition is a bunch of white guys from Iowa but Duggan looks really fast on his Hudl and he seems to have really good instincts on when to cut upfield.  Anyway, he did run a sub 22 sec 200M as a junior so it’s probably not just the competition that makes him look fast.  

Agree. Duggan is our best hope to get back to an elite level. I just don’t think he starts as a true freshman. 

Collins can win us a Big 12 title if CGP plays it conservative and has a stout defense. 

I hope I’m wrong about Rogers. But I’m yet to see anything that would tell me to be encouraged. If Collins is our week one starter, I think that’ll tell us to kiss the Rogers dream goodbye. 

If our OL improves as I expect, and if Anderson and Olonilua are healthy, all we need is a quarterback who won't lose the game. I think Michael Collins is that man. But the other two guys will get to make their case in spring training, when Collins likely will still be limited by his injury.

21 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

Disagree. Collins hasn’t shown me much other than a few good drives against the awful OU D. 

Unless rodgers just completely can’t go. I honk he’s our guy. Too talented. 

The fact he got live snaps in a bowl game tells me he’s not far. 

21 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Duggan May be good. But he’s not starting as a true freshman. Unless Rogers AND Collins can’t go. 

I rewatched the 2 plays that Justin Rodgers had in the Cheese It Bowl. I want to take back my previous comments. He really did a good job on a limited amount to review. 

First play: he had a defensive player bounce off of him and he ran to about the line of scrimmage. His running wasn't horrible. IMHO, it seemed that he might have previously had another gear of speed that wasn't there when he took off. Think his running was adequate and could improve with time. 

Second play: completes a little pass off to the side. Foot work looked good. Coaches could have called a safe play and just called a hand off to the RB. But coaches trusted him to throw the ball in a tough bowl game in the 4th quarter.  

Both plays were supposed to be passing plays. This causes me to think he is ready. Furthermore, IIRC he wasn't even cleared to play until Nov? I remember seeing an article from the startlegram to something of this nature. 

Kid has a monster arm which seems pretty accurate. If he could get an oline that can give him time and keep him standing upright he could be slinging the rock all over the field.