Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Cheez-It Bowl ~ Frogs vs Cal ~ Wednesday Dec 26, 2018 8:00pm CT Phoenix, AZ

I've proven inept at trying to embed tweets into posts, but one from last night that caught my attention last night just said:

"Winners Win"

...and it was from Brian Howard.  

I think a lot of people were laughing at the absurdity of a game with that much mutual struggle on offense, but I think it really says something about the heart of this program the way they were able to manufacture three straight victories with a roster held together by masking tape and chicken wire.  

10 minutes ago, Endless Purple said:

Didn't see any Cheez-INT Bowl gear.

The first three items at the top of the page (t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, and hoodie) are Cheez-It champions gear and there are four more shirts following it that are generic TCU Cheez-It Bowl. Weird that it doesn't show up for you. Try searching?

12 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

The first three items at the top of the page (t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, and hoodie) are Cheez-It champions gear and there are four more shirts following it that are generic TCU Cheez-It Bowl. Weird that it doesn't show up for you. Try searching?

Reread his post 😉

1 hour ago, JSC 76 said:

"Good" game, Frogs (for some values of "good").  See you in 2020!

Thanks for coming over, JSC! What a crazy game that was. Looking forward to the next one (Lord help us if it's like the last one!).

Ranking all 39 college football bowl games for 2018-19 from the worst to the best

1. Cheez-It -- TCU 10, California 7 OT: Yes, that's right. My No. 1 bowl game this season featured 17 points and nine turnovers. Believe me, this was not a pretty game. It was not a well-played game. In fact, I'm confident both Gary Patterson and Justin Wilcox will burn the tape and move on to prepare for next season rather than go over what went wrong. But in spite of all that, it was great. There were so many moments in this game where you were openly announcing to yourself, or a crowded room, "What the f--- was that!?" If you were watching this game in a bar or alongside thousands of your closest friends on Twitter, it wasn't just a game but a social event. Twenty years from now, you won't remember most things from the 2018 college football bowl season, but I guarantee you'll remember watching the Cheez-It Bowl. Just beautifully bad football. A cult classic. Five stars. If they ever make it into a movie, both The Rock and Jason Statham will be in it. (35)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-all-39-college-football-bowl-games-for-2018-19-from-the-worst-to-the-best/

As the night progressed, the Twitter one-liners suggested that people weren’t going to bed until the last sports information director was left standing.

While the Frogs ran around after the game, giddily waving the bowl sponsor’s product and posing for selfies, I saw senior quarterback Grayson Muehlstein – 20 passes, 27 yards, 4 interceptions, 60-plus minutes of mostly chaos — standing alone by the first base dugout.

He looked like a guy who had just escaped a plane crash, not the winning quarterback . . .

https://www.pressboxdfw.com/notes-on-a-cheez-it-box/

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

As the night progressed, the Twitter one-liners suggested that people weren’t going to bed until the last sports information director was left standing.

While the Frogs ran around after the game, giddily waving the bowl sponsor’s product and posing for selfies, I saw senior quarterback Grayson Muehlstein – 20 passes, 27 yards, 4 interceptions, 60-plus minutes of mostly chaos — standing alone by the first base dugout.

He looked like a guy who had just escaped a plane crash, not the winning quarterback . . .

https://www.pressboxdfw.com/notes-on-a-cheez-it-box/

Gil is a talented dude... I'm tempted to buy a subscription, but I LOATH all other DFW sports... now if he wrote about the Rockets, I may bite ;)

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Gil is a talented dude... I'm tempted to buy a subscription, but I LOATH all other DFW sports... now if he wrote about the Rockets, I may bite ;)

They sometimes have stories about teams from other Texas cities. There's lots of content about the Big12 and Texas colleges, however it's mostly centered around DFW teams, of course. I don't have an interest in any of the other stuff other than the Frogs and our opponents. Still, it's so nice to read quality journalism that isn't laced with ads all over the place.

TCU’s Jawuan Johnson praises Patterson, opens up on bowl game gaffe

TCU linebacker Jawuan Johnson watched the replay of his interception in the Cheez-It Bowl over and over. Every time, he shook his head.

Instead of scoring what would have been a walk-off touchdown in overtime, Johnson was tracked down by Cal offensive lineman Jake Curhan – a 335-pound freshman – 13 yards short of the goal line.

“That played in my head for two days in a row,” Johnson said.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article224059475.html?src=rss

It's a shame I haven't been able to track down a full copy of John Buccigross' recap of the game on the Sportscenter immediately after the game ended. I don't watch much SC anymore but it was one of my favorite segments in quite some time, he killed it. There are a few highlights in this post, but unfortunately not the whole thing: https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/cal-tcu-cheez-it-bowl-interceptions.html

12 minutes ago, Mike M. said:

It's a shame I haven't been able to track down a full copy of John Buccigross' recap of the game on the Sportscenter immediately after the game ended. I don't watch much SC anymore but it was one of my favorite segments in quite some time, he killed it. There are a few highlights in this post, but unfortunately not the whole thing: https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/cal-tcu-cheez-it-bowl-interceptions.html

The highlights were nice, but everytime I see the OL flop loop I watch it over and over laughing. 

14 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

The highlights were nice, but everytime I see the OL flop loop I watch it over and over laughing. 

But I love that he's owned it (that's his tweet)...