Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Cheez-It Bowl ~ Frogs vs Cal ~ Wednesday Dec 26, 2018 8:00pm CT Phoenix, AZ

14 minutes ago, AlohaFrog said:

So, the thread on the Cal board about our forum has turned into a multi-page discussion about burritos.  It made me kind of hungry.  Evidently there's a Northern California vs. Southern California burrito thing.  I learn something new every day. 

I have to explain to people here about the differences between Tex-Mex and Cali-Mex.  You won't find a goddam chickpea in Tex-Mex.

This picture says all that you need to know about Tex-Mex:

zz-top-tres-hombres-mexican-feast3-copy1

It contains no tofu or yogurt, just greasy, cheesy, meaty goodness with a heavy dose of peppers.

The non-natives up here are all transplanted from California. They don't understand that Mexican food (and regional derivatives of it) is supposed to taste good, not be trendy or healthy, and they like to play make-believe with their food.

1 hour ago, Feeling Froggy said:

The non-natives up here are all transplanted from California. They don't understand that Mexican food (and regional derivatives of it) is supposed to taste good, not be trendy or healthy, and they like to play make-believe with their food

preach-crunch-com-emec-31691651.png

2 hours ago, AlohaFrog said:

So, the thread on the Cal board about our forum has turned into a multi-page discussion about burritos.  It made me kind of hungry.  Evidently there's a Northern California vs. Southern California burrito thing.  I learn something new every day. 

That's what I love about bowl games.  They're an opportunity for a cultural exchange.

3 hours ago, AlohaFrog said:

And then the "esoteric nacho purist" took over once Mercenary Librarian mentioned Fuzzy's brisket nachos and went hard on how nachos are only chips, cheese, and jalapenos. This was our hero's reply:

"It's Texas. We put meat on pretty much everything. Sometimes, we add extra meat to meat just so we can have more meat." 😄

3 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

This picture says all that you need to know about Tex-Mex:

zz-top-tres-hombres-mexican-feast3-copy1

It contains no tofu or yogurt, just greasy, cheesy, meaty goodness with a heavy dose of peppers.

The non-natives up here are all transplanted from California. They don't understand that Mexican food (and regional derivatives of it) is supposed to taste good, not be trendy or healthy, and they like to play make-believe with their food.

ZZ Top — Tres Hombres.  The ultimate deluxe Mexican dinner.   

I was in Dallas this year and ordered two tamales and they were the size of two totino's mini pizza rolls. I should have known better because the outside looked nice and didn't look like a shithole hole in the wall. My friends said this was the best Tex-mex food place in Dallas. 

I have revoked Dallas from claiming Tex-mex. FW has some okay places.

Austin Mexican food has changed over the years and has more of a Cali-mex vibe.

For the good stuff you need to head south for Tex-mex: Houston, San Antonio.

3 hours ago, Black-it-out-Frog! said:

I was in Dallas this year and ordered two tamales and they were the size of two totino's mini pizza rolls. I should have known better because the outside looked nice and didn't look like a shithole hole in the wall. My friends said this was the best Tex-mex food place in Dallas. 

Living in Plano and eating Mexican food at least twice a week, pray tell where in Dallas you ate.  And the next time you are in Dallas, I can give you the name of a great hole-in-the wall place to eat.  And, it's in North Dallas of all places.

7 hours ago, Black-it-out-Frog! said:

I live in Pittsburgh.  I take what I can get.

Actually the Tex-Mex scene in Pittsburgh has improved quite a bit over the last decade or so.  It ain't San Antonio, or Dallas, even, but there are a handful of serviceable places.

And actually there is a great Cali-Mex place here called Mad Mex.  I just have to help people understand it's not the Mexican food I grew up with ...

Just now, Duquesne Frog said:

I live in Pittsburgh.  I take what I can get.

Actually the Tex-Mex scene in Pittsburgh has improved quite a bit over the last decade or so.  It ain't San Antonio, or Dallas, even, but there are a handful of serviceable places.

And actually there is a great Cali-Mex place here called Mad Mex.  I just have to help people understand it's not the Mexican food I grew up with ...

This may come off as being an un-patriotic Texan but I actually think the best type of "Mexican" food is real authentic "New Mexican."  Not the chain stuff.  If I lived in Taos or Santa Fe or ABQ, I'd weigh 400 lbs.  It bleeds over the Texas border a bit up in the Panhandle and over into SW Colorado around Durango.  Mexican food in the rest of Colorado sucks. 

25 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

This may come off as being an un-patriotic Texan but I actually think the best type of "Mexican" food is real authentic "New Mexican."  Not the chain stuff.  If I lived in Taos or Santa Fe or ABQ, I'd weigh 400 lbs.  It bleeds over the Texas border a bit up in the Panhandle and over into SW Colorado around Durango.  Mexican food in the rest of Colorado sucks. 

Agree. One of the best Mexican food meals I've ever had were some enchiladas verdes from a place in Albuquerque whose name I forget now.

54 minutes ago, angelosfrog said:

There's a lot to be said for New Mexican cuisine, but IMHO, the best type of Mexican food is Yucatecan.  #bananaleaftamales