Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Coaching Carousel Thread 2018

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I know this thread is supposed to be about college coaches but Marvin Lewis is finally out in Cincy ...

Hoping this brings some success for Andy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Hoping this brings some success for Andy.

Lewis apparently endorsed Hue Jackson on his way out.

4 hours ago, Mike M. said:

Wait, I don't get why you'd want to go from coaching at WVU to Houston. Even if you have some kind of connection there.

So he can be part of them getting a Big 12 invite? 🤔 

24 minutes ago, Vlade Divac said:

Yeah, I think that's a mistake. They need all new blood in there.

1 hour ago, Vlade Divac said:

I heard that...no way they go that direction. Hopefully they can bring someone in that makes the offense as good as it was under Jackson, and doesn't fill the defense with a bunch of morons destined to do stupid things to lose games...but I'm afraid that's asking too much.

8 hours ago, shenanigans said:

I heard that...no way they go that direction. Hopefully they can bring someone in that makes the offense as good as it was under Jackson, and doesn't fill the defense with a bunch of morons destined to do stupid things to lose games...but I'm afraid that's asking too much.

Apparently it’s between Hue and Adam Gase. Honestly. Hue is a great offensive mind. As a LONG time Bengals fan and big Andy Dalton supporter. I like it. He didn’t win in Cleveland. But his hands were tied 

• Like (+1) 1

That's quite an indictment of Morgantown that a coach would leave there and go to a Group of 5 school.  Rich Rodriquez was very vocal about his problems when he left WVU.  I think this could really hurt their program.  

And I'll try to not cackle too gleefully....

22 hours ago, Mike M. said:

Wait, I don't get why you'd want to go from coaching at WVU to Houston. Even if you have some kind of connection there.

Why Dana Holgorsen is leaving West Virginia for Houston

Moving from a Power 5 job to the Group of 5 isn’t common, but this one might make more sense than it seems.

3. Houston is a key talent hub in a top recruiting state. It produces a heaping handful of four-stars every year, and occasionally a generational talent like UH’s Ed Oliver.

The state of Texas has more blue-chip talent annually than any state except California and Florida, while the state of West Virginia might not have any four- or five-stars to recruit in a given year. In 2019, the state has its first five-star prospect ever in offensive tackle Darnell Wright, but WVU is not considered a candidate to land him. (Tennessee is the favorite.)

West Virginia’s not a densely populated state, but even relatively, there’s little blue-chip talent there. Houston’s second- and third-tier high school players, many of whom consider the Cougars, are more sought after.

For Holgorsen, the decision between WVU and Houston can be boiled down to one simple question: is it harder to lure talent from places like Houston, Dallas and Florida to far-flung Morgantown, or is it harder to keep a portion of Texas talent in-state at a Group of 5 school?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/1/18153591/dana-holgorsen-hired-houston-coach-west-virginia

Patterson is 58. Holgerson is 47. If GMFP wants to hang it up in the next 5 years, it’ll be nice to have Dana in state. 

50 minutes ago, Vlade Divac said:

Patterson is 58. Holgerson is 47. If GMFP wants to hang it up in the next 5 years, it’ll be nice to have Dana in state. 

GMFP will never retire. He will live forever.

• Thanks (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

In cast bronze and other materials...

• Upvote (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Retiring is the beginning of living. Says the fringe Millennial that will probably never be able to retire. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

Art Briles at WVU will be off the hook...

Confirmed!

I wonder how much of his staff Dana will take to UH. I bet some aren't thrilled with moving down to G5.

I really like his WR coach, Tyron Carrier. I actually played against him in HS- dude could ball, and apparently is a hell of a WR coach. UH is his Alma Mater but I'm not sure he'd want to go coach there after being named WR COY in the big 12.

4 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I wonder how much of his staff Dana will take to UH. I bet some aren't thrilled with moving down to G5.

I really like his WR coach, Tyron Carrier. I actually played against him in HS- dude could ball, and apparently is a hell of a WR coach. UH is his Alma Mater but I'm not sure he'd want to go coach there after being named WR COY in the big 12.

2018 WVU Assistant Coaches Salaries (Top 3)

Tony Gibson - $901k

Jake Spavital - $501k

Joe Wickline - $501k

Overall - $3.4 million

Tyron made $121k

2018 UH Assistant Coaches Salaries (Top 3)

Kendall Briles - $400k

Mark D'Onofrino - $400k

Randy Clements - $290k

Overall - $2.1 million

• Upvote (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

2018 WVU Assistant Coaches Salaries (Top 3)

Tony Gibson - $901k

Jake Spavital - $501k

Joe Wickline - $501k

Overall - $3.4 million

Tyron made $121k

2018 UH Assistant Coaches Salaries (Top 3)

Kendall Briles - $400k

Mark D'Onofrino - $400k

Randy Clements - $290k

Overall - $2.1 million

Where do you find this info?

That's a pretty bad look for WVU, and curious who exactly they think they're going to hire who is better than Holgo.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, DirtyThirdFrog said:

New University of Houston coach Dana Holgorsen will have at his disposal a $4.5 million salary pool to assemble a coaching staff, and one of his first hires is expected to be a familiar name.

Tyron Carrier,  former standout wide receiver/return man for the Cougars, said the “chances are good” he will join Holgorsen’s staff. Carrier spent the past three seasons with Holgorsen at West Virginia.

Carrier, who was recently named FootballScoop wide receiver coach of the year, has been mentioned for other jobs.

“I’m a hot market right now,” he said with a smile, “but Houston is home.”

https://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/Houston-football-Dana-Holgorsen-hire-familiar-face-13506187.php

You're a little shaky, Dana. Back off the Red Bull! 😄

6 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

You're a little shaky, Dana. Back off the Red Bull! 😄

My brother-in-law used to mix Red Bull and Jaegermaister (sp?).  Rather than use that mixture to disinfect plumbing fixtures, he drank it.  Before he went on the wagon.

2 minutes ago, froginaustin said:

My brother-in-law used to mix Red Bull and Jaegermaister (sp?).  Rather than use that mixture to disinfect plumbing fixtures, he drank it.  Before he went on the wagon.

Wow! I bet your BIL lost a ton of weight once he quit that poison, too. I've heard Dana's mix-in is Vodka, but that's purely speculative.

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Dana Holgorsen will have at his disposal a $4.5 million salary pool to assemble a coaching staff

Wow.  That's an enormous increase over what UH was spending, and a pretty sizable increase over what Holgo had in Morgantown.  

Recruiting in Houston just got a lot harder.