Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Coaching Carousel Thread 2018

16 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm not saying success at the college level means success in the pros. I am implying a successful person in his previous position is more likely to be successful at his next job in the same position. He was a great OC. How about taking that step in the NFL next before assuming control of an entire team in a league you know nothing about? I mean, there are no other OC's in the NFL who have more experience and have shown success at their job who are deserving of a chance at a HC job? I can understand teams wanting to bring in fresh blood, but it still seems weird. I thought Kliffy had more sense than this.

I think being a head coach in the NFL is a completely different game. Very little politics, recruiting a non-factor, GM help, etc. 

Kliff could thrive in a situation where all he needs to do is keep the locker room together and game plan. He needs a solid DC. 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:24 AM, Vlade Divac said:

I want nothing more than for the coach that Texas Tech fired to go on to win a Super Bowl. The same way that I want nothing more than for Leach to get a chance to beat their ass himself at some point.

Chad Glasgow is still my favorite Texas Tech success story. Longtime safeties coach at TCU, goes to Tech to be the DC, they fire him after one year, so he comes back to TCU at his old job, even, then takes over as DC once Bumpas retires. Obviously Patterson is still the leading defensive voice on the coaching staff, but Glasgow's riding high on a top-ranked defense, and Tech's defense has continued to be nothing but a dumpster fire since he left.

9 hours ago, Vlade Divac said:

I think being a head coach in the NFL is a completely different game. Very little politics, recruiting a non-factor, GM help, etc. 

Kliff could thrive in a situation where all he needs to do is keep the locker room together and game plan. He needs a solid DC. 

Getting a solid DC definitely is the key if Kliff wants to concentrate on OC duties, but also having the GM help is crucial. Hopefully, Keim has himself together now after last summer's bad DUI arrest. But, I think there are definitely some politics involved in the NFL. There's an owner to keep happy just like there was a chancellor to keep happy at the college level. Plus, I'm not sure about Kliffy's locker room control. Seems like his Tech teams were always undisciplined, you know, with his Coach Bro persona and trying to hard to be everybody's buddy. This hire just boggles my mind. He had such limited success offensively at Tech in an offense-dominated Big12 and yet an NFL team  hires him to fix their offense in an offense-oriented league. As I've seen others say about him, what a way to fail upward.

5 hours ago, Senor Ballistico said:

f6c32faa6b886fe53731abe5b3f82023

Holly Sonders and new Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury are now internet official

https://sports.yahoo.com/holly-sonders-cardinals-head-coach-175341118.html?fbclid=IwAR1OV8H0Ehg4wkM7cWdqMxOprbPBu8VWZzcSlIT9Ug--F_TXC03HJhF5w5A

I don’t care who you are. She’s hot 

AMES, Iowa -- Iowa State rehired Tom Manning as its offensive coordinator on Friday.

Manning, who spent last season on the staff of the Indianapolis Colts, is returning to Ames to run the Cyclones offense under fourth-year coach Matt Campbell.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25795974/iowa-state-cyclones-rehires-tom-manning-offensive-coordinator

Wish I had a subscription to The Athletic just for this article...(It's 50% off right now if anyone else is interested.)

‘Where’s Dan?’: The story of Alabama football’s rampant coaching staff turnover

A blowout national championship loss to Clemson may not have been the biggest shock Nick Saban got last week.

Four days later in Tuscaloosa, Alabama was about to have its regular morning football staff meeting when Saban noticed someone was missing.

“Hey, where’s Dan?” Saban asked staffers, according to people with knowledge of the meeting, in reference to Dan Enos, the Tide’s quarterbacks coach who had just been promoted to become Alabama’s new offensive coordinator.

The offensive coordinator vacancy had been created by Mike Locksley leaving to become the head coach at Maryland. Much of the staff was on the road recruiting, but Saban and Enos were supposed to interview offensive line coaching candidates to replace Brent Key, who had taken a job at his alma mater Georgia Tech after three years with the Crimson Tide.

“Where’s Dan?”

Enos had done a terrific job as the Alabama quarterbacks coach in his first season in the...

https://theathletic.com/773433/2019/01/17/alabama-football-coaching-staff-turnover-nick-saban-dan-enos-tosh-lupoi/