Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Coaching Carousel Thread 2018

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

New University of Houston coach Dana Holgorsen will have at his disposal a $4.5 million salary pool to assemble a coaching staff, and one of his first hires is expected to be a familiar name.

Tyron Carrier,  former standout wide receiver/return man for the Cougars, said the “chances are good” he will join Holgorsen’s staff. Carrier spent the past three seasons with Holgorsen at West Virginia.

Carrier, who was recently named FootballScoop wide receiver coach of the year, has been mentioned for other jobs.

“I’m a hot market right now,” he said with a smile, “but Houston is home.”

https://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/Houston-football-Dana-Holgorsen-hire-familiar-face-13506187.php

Well there goes that pipe dream...

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

To coach wide receivers at Cougar High?

Hahaha, could be a fun side gig, and UH is only about a 10 minute drive from my office.

I'd rather coach Corners or Special Teams though.

No- I wanted Tyron in FW coaching up our dudes.

4 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Great hire. I can’t believe he’s lasted as long as he has. They may drop, but only because of QB play. He will have them back competing in the Big 12 within 2-3 years. 

Sooners hire Buckeyes' Alex Grinch as defensive coordinator

The Oklahoma Sooners have hired Ohio State assistant Alex Grinch to be their defensive coordinator, the team announced Friday.

From 2015 to 2017, Grinch was the defensive coordinator at Washington State. He was a semifinalist for the 2017 Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25684555/oklahoma-sooners-hire-alex-grinch-defensive-coordinator

Sooners hire Buckeyes' Alex Grinch as defensive coordinator

The Oklahoma Sooners have hired Ohio State assistant Alex Grinch to be their defensive coordinator, the team announced Friday.

From 2015 to 2017, Grinch was the defensive coordinator at Washington State. He was a semifinalist for the 2017 Broyles Award, given to the nation's top assistant coach.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25684555/oklahoma-sooners-hire-alex-grinch-defensive-coordinator

via GIPHY

Interesting development...

USC's Kliff Kingsbury to interview for multiple NFL head-coaching jobs

USC offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, who has emerged as one of the most coveted candidates for NFL jobs, is expected to interview for head-coaching positions with multiple teams, sources confirmed to ESPN.

USC initially had been blocking NFL teams from interviewing Kingsbury, who joined the Trojans' staff last month after being fired as Texas Tech's head coach. It is not immediately clear whether Kingsbury resigned from USC or if the school changed its stance on him interviewing with NFL teams.

Fox Sports was first to report Monday that Kingsbury would interview for NFL head-coach openings.

Sources told ESPN that it would not be out of the question for Kingsbury to resume his duties at USC if an NFL job does not materialize.

Asked if Kingsbury had resigned, a USC spokesperson said only, "He's still listed on our website's athletic department staff directory."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25707704/usc-kliff-kingsbury-interview-multiple-nfl-head-coaching-jobs

It just seems odd to me that a coach who didn't have much success at a mid-level university is so in demand suddenly for HC jobs with professional teams, especially with Arizona. I know he's supposed to be an offensive wizard, but there's nobody else with more demonstrable success and experience available?

It just seems odd to me that a coach who didn't have much success at a mid-level university is so in demand suddenly for HC jobs with professional teams, especially with Arizona. I know he's supposed to be an offensive wizard, but there's nobody else with more demonstrable success and experience available?

I have no idea if Kliffy will be successful at the professional level or not, but success at the college level doesn't equal success at the professional level(Nick Saban and Chip Kelly come to mind). I agree though, it does seen a little strange. 

Just now, frogtwang said:

I have no idea if Kliffy will be successful at the professional level or not, but success at the college level doesn't equal success at the professional level(Nick Saban and Chip Kelly come to mind). I agree though, it does seen a little strange. 

I want nothing more than for the coach that Texas Tech fired to go on to win a Super Bowl. The same way that I want nothing more than for Leach to get a chance to beat their ass himself at some point.

5 minutes ago, Vlade Divac said:

I want nothing more than for the coach that Texas Tech fired to go on to win a Super Bowl. The same way that I want nothing more than for Leach to get a chance to beat their ass himself at some point.

I'm on board with this. 

6 hours ago, frogtwang said:

I'm not saying success at the college level means success in the pros. I am implying a successful person in his previous position is more likely to be successful at his next job in the same position. He was a great OC. How about taking that step in the NFL next before assuming control of an entire team in a league you know nothing about? I mean, there are no other OC's in the NFL who have more experience and have shown success at their job who are deserving of a chance at a HC job? I can understand teams wanting to bring in fresh blood, but it still seems weird. I thought Kliffy had more sense than this.