Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Coaching Carousel Thread 2018

I'm pulling hard for Lincoln Riley to the Baltimore Ravens.  I'm not at all sold on Lamar Jackson as a franchise QB, but the only chance of that happening is having a coach that is going to know how to use and develop him.  Keep hearing about him making the jump to the NFL, and seems like Ravens would be a good spot.

And as a TCU fan, I wouldn't cry to see Lincoln leave OU.  😁

4 hours ago, gofrogs152 said:

I'm pulling hard for Lincoln Riley to the Baltimore Ravens.  I'm not at all sold on Lamar Jackson as a franchise QB, but the only chance of that happening is having a coach that is going to know how to use and develop him.  Keep hearing about him making the jump to the NFL, and seems like Ravens would be a good spot.

And as a TCU fan, I wouldn't cry to see Lincoln leave OU.  😁

Why would he go to Baltimore over Cleveland? Is there a connect I’m missing?

3 minutes ago, Vlade Divac said:

Why would he go to Baltimore over Cleveland? Is there a connect I’m missing?

Baltimore has much better ownership.  If I were a coach looking to make the jump to the NFL, I'd be very cautious of Cleveland.  I'm sure Baker is tempting, but Cleveland is where good QBs and coaches go to die.  

20 minutes ago, gofrogs152 said:

Baltimore has much better ownership.  If I were a coach looking to make the jump to the NFL, I'd be very cautious of Cleveland.  I'm sure Baker is tempting, but Cleveland is where good QBs and coaches go to die.  

I get that. But they have a great GM now. And he walks on water in Norman. He’d have to win back-to-back Super Bowls to gain that status in Baltimore. And he’d only need to make the playoffs to get a statue in Cleveland. 

Kliff Kingsbury's future at TTU uncertain after third straight losing season

Kingsbury, who has a 35-40 record in six seasons, said he expected to sit down soon with athletic director Kirby Hocutt. The coach wouldn't provide any indication of what he expected to happen.

"Going to talk to Kirby and take it from there," Kingsbury said after a season-ending 35-24 loss to Baylor.

Hocutt, who usually attends the coach's postgame news conferences, wasn't in the room after Saturday's game.

"He's been phenomenal with me, and supportive and given me everything I needed to be successful at Texas Tech," Kingsbury said. "I have the utmost respect for Kirby and what he's done for this university, and he's the best AD in the country -- we're all lucky for him."

Kingsbury still has two years left on his contract.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25367482/kliff-kingsbury-expects-chat-job-texas-tech-losing-season

Texas Tech has fired coach Kliff Kingsbury after the Red Raiders finished with a third consecutive losing season, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt has called a news conference for 3 p.m. ET Sunday.

North Texas head coach Seth Littrell and Troy head coach Neal Brown, who are both former Texas Tech assistants, should be strong candidates for Hocutt, who could also pursue Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables. Hocutt and Venables roomed together as teammates at Kansas State. Other possibilities could include Utah State head coach Matt Wells and Oregon defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, who was Hocutt's position coach at Kansas State.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25373953/kliff-kingsbury-fired-texas-tech-losing-season

John Henry says in PressBox that Jim Leavitt and Matt Wells are high on the list for interviews for the Tech job, even though Leavitt comes with that baggage of throttling and slapping a player. He also is very high on Mike Norvell from Memphis. That guy has a great life story.

Clemson DC Brent Venables: Not actively pursuing Texas Tech head-coaching job

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables said he's spoken with Texas Tech athletics director Kirby Hocutt, but said he's not actively pursuing the Red Raiders head-coaching job.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25384931/brent-venables-clemson-tigers-not-actively-pursuing-texas-tech-red-raiders-head-coaching-job

Tennessee's Tyson Helton agrees to coach Western Kentucky

Tennessee offensive coordinator Tyson Helton has reached an agreement to become Western Kentucky's next head coach, sources told ESPN.

An announcement is expected in the next day or two.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25383965/tyson-helton-agrees-become-coach-western-kentucky-hilltoppers

On the morning of 10-27 Tech was looking good: 5-2, "#26" in the AP poll with wins over then #15 OSU and in-state rivals TCU and UH.  Needed just one more win for bowl eligibility  Meanwhile we were at our low- 3-5 at the end of that day after an upset loss to KU.  Over the last five weeks, TT finished up 0-5 and missed out on a bowl and their coach loses his job.  Over our last four weeks we went 3-1 and sneaked into a bowl and now have some momentum heading into next season.  What a difference a month makes. 

30 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

On the morning of 10-27 Tech was looking good: 5-2, "#26" in the AP poll with wins over then #15 OSU and in-state rivals TCU and UH.  Needed just one more win for bowl eligibility  Meanwhile we were at our low- 3-5 at the end of that day after an upset loss to KU.  Over the last five weeks, TT finished up 0-5 and missed out on a bowl and their coach loses his job.  Over our last four weeks we went 3-1 and sneaked into a bowl and now have some momentum heading into next season.  What a difference a month makes. 

Not to mention Mack Engle's glowing column about Tech right after beating us. Maybe that was the curse.

6 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

John Henry says in PressBox that Jim Leavitt and Matt Wells are high on the list for interviews for the Tech job, even though Leavitt comes with that baggage of throttling and slapping a player. He also is very high on Mike Norvell from Memphis. That guy has a great life story.

Leavitt - good coach but nuttier than a pecan pie.

Mack Brown returning for second tenure at North Carolina

Mack Brown is returning to coaching — and to the place where he first built a program and his reputation. He and North Carolina have agreed to a deal to become the Tar Heels' head coach, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. 

The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the deal has not been formally approved by the university's board of trustees. That is expected to occur during an emergency meeting of the board of trustees, which is scheduled to be held by teleconference at 8 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

Several other media outlets also have reported the deal is done or imminent. Brown replaces Larry Fedora after the Tar Heels went 5-18 the past two seasons and 45-43 overall in his six seasons. Fedora was fired on Sunday.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2018/11/27/north-carolina-mack-brown-returning-coach-tar-heels/2123216002/?src=rss

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Mack Brown returning for second tenure at North Carolina

Mack Brown is returning to coaching — and to the place where he first built a program and his reputation. He and North Carolina have agreed to a deal to become the Tar Heels' head coach, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. 

The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the deal has not been formally approved by the university's board of trustees. That is expected to occur during an emergency meeting of the board of trustees, which is scheduled to be held by teleconference at 8 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

Several other media outlets also have reported the deal is done or imminent. Brown replaces Larry Fedora after the Tar Heels went 5-18 the past two seasons and 45-43 overall in his six seasons. Fedora was fired on Sunday.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2018/11/27/north-carolina-mack-brown-returning-coach-tar-heels/2123216002/?src=rss

I can't think of many instances where bringing back an older guy who did good things for you a few decades earlier has worked out all that well ... Bobby Petrino being the most recent example.