Sign in to follow this  
SuperToad

Turpin arrested

1 hour ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

I’m more worried about the implications if it comes out GP and TCU knew about the previous arrest and did nothing. 

Turpin is gone. No doubt.  But if GP knew, then I'd be surprised and changes may need to be made.  Assuming GP didn't know, then why not and how do we correct this gap?

1 hour ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

I’m more worried about the implications if it comes out GP and TCU knew about the previous arrest and did nothing. 

After GP's track record of how he handles cases like this in the past, I can't believe anyone would think he knowingly kept a kid on the team who had been arrested for assaulting a woman. If nothing else, Kelsey would be *quite* unhappy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I cannot imagine that TCU runs monthly background checks on all student athletes.  It is not as if the media is scanning every police blotter (especially in Las Cruces, NM) to see if anyone interesting was arrested.  I would not be shocked if Turpin just figured he'd stay mum when he got back from spring break and hoped it would just go away.

33 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

I cannot imagine that TCU runs monthly background checks on all student athletes.  It is not as if the media is scanning every police blotter (especially in Las Cruces, NM) to see if anyone interesting was arrested.  I would not be shocked if Turpin just figured he'd stay mum when he got back from spring break and hoped it would just go away.

^^This.^^

For TCU to run routine, without a good reason to think a threat to anyone is involved, background checks on kids in school sounds like a plot for a dystopian novel.

33 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Bingo.  The only way the coaches knew was if Turp or the victim told them and you know damn well that Turp never said a word and the chances of the girl, who apparently lived in Las Cruces at the time, telling TCU about it are slim to none.

3 minutes ago, froginaustin said:

^^This.^^

For TCU to run routine, without a good reason to think a threat to anyone is involved, background checks on kids in school sounds like a plot for a dystopian novel.

I agree but I can guarantee you they have an arrangement with someone at FWPD or the DA's office to let them know when a football player is arrested.  That or they just have TCU PD periodically run a report on local arrests. 

3 hours ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

Yup.  I hope everyone is right that Turpin could keep this quiet and that no one in the know in Las Cruces would put two-and-two together and figure out who Turpin is and make the incident public, but it still worries me ...

Turp's mom posted that the incident was a "huge misunderstanding" and that the girl in question has no visible signs of assault.

Well if the girl in question also says that, then okay. If not, condemn you're kid fair attacking a woman.

2 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Didn't Turpin miss the Southern game due to disciplinary reasons that were rumored to be related to not going to class/grades?  Are we sure that was the reason?

Grades for sure. He was held out the prior spring camp because of grades as well. It's no secret he doesn't exactly take school all that serious.

There is zero reason for TCU to have known about New Mexico unless Turpin chose to inform someone.  He was an adult with no warrants and nobody would have been informed of his arrest or his subsequent bench warrant for failure to appear.  The crime was not at a level to have resulted in a local "Be on the Lookout", much less a national one.  Unless he told on himself, which seems highly unlikely, the coaching staff knew nothing. 

Looks like the university knew about the March arrest, but thought it was only for property damage.  They assumed it was all resolved.  That doesn't sit right with me.  They didn't get the police report or follow up on the charges?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently GP announced that Turpin is officially off the team and not allowed to return.

I'd recommend not reading Mac Engel's take on this whole situation. He basically just used the opportunity to throw GP under the bus about how he "should have known" and how bad this looks on him for having a player on this team scoring touchdowns with an outstanding warrant for his arrest. Pretty disingenuous stuff in my opinion and reads like a troll job.

22 minutes ago, $mooth said:

Looks like the university knew about the March arrest, but thought it was only for property damage.  They assumed it was all resolved.  That doesn't sit right with me.  They didn't get the police report or follow up on the charges?

Did you get this from Engle's story, as Mike M implied, Smoothie?

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Did you get this from Engle's story, as Mike M implied, Smoothie?

No, from the TCU 360 story.  Haven't read Engle's story.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, $mooth said:

The 360 story: https://www.tcu360.com/2018/10/tcu-unaware-of-turpins-domestic-violence-charge-in-march/

News of KaVontae Turpin’s arrest in New Mexico during spring break didn’t come as a surprise to the TCU football staff.

But on Tuesday, they said they weren’t aware of why he had been charged.

The university said the information they reviewed only showed the property damage charge and that they did not know until Monday that the legal issues were unresolved.

7 minutes ago, $mooth said:

I'm just reading Mac's story and he's talking out of both sides of his mouth, as usual. Castigating CGP for should of having known about this, but then saying the only way anybody would have known about it is if #25 would have told. Typical of the writer. i agree with Mike about Engel's motives.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article220463635.html

Our Liverlips is H.O.T. about that article, too. (He retracted the part about not asking in person, btw.)

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is interesting, from the Frogs o'War story. So, not like they didn't have a copy of the actual court docs.

Once news broke Monday morning, it was revealed that Turpin had a previous incident this summer involving the same woman, in New Mexico - but that initially, it was reported as property damage involving a fine and a ticket. Patterson read off of the court documents at the press conference.

https://www.frogsowar.com/2018/10/23/18015164/wr-returner-kavontae-turpin-dismissed-from-tcu-football?utm_campaign=frogsowar&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Not reading the court documents, it doesn't sound like the NM incident involved as much violence toward the girl ... not the "dragging and slamming" that has been described this time, at least ...

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Not reading the court documents, it doesn't sound like the NM incident involved as much violence toward the girl ... not the "dragging and slamming" that has been described this time, at least ...

Not sure what the documents they have say.  I stole from baylorfans (they're usually pretty good at digging up TCU dirt).

DqIoLjUV4AAl1y5.jpg

20 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Yeah, they're up in arms at Rape U.

#$%@ baylor. 

• Like (+1) 3

If the story is true, it sounds like the staff used a commercial web site which may not have been fully accurate. They should have gone to the court records as opposed to relying on a third-party site especially since they knew there was an incident. I could see using a third-party site just as a general check on players.