Sign in to follow this  
Newbomb Turk

TCU Baseball 2019 - The Season of Josh Watson’s Record

Time to think about football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Well that was a thoroughly uninspiring way to end the season.  Looking off to football season now.  It looks like I will have to start to keep up with multiple teams this fall.

• Like (+1) 1

For what it is worth, the last 4 teams in went a combined 9-4. Two are regional champs, and one was the runner-up.

FSU: 3-0

Duke: 3-0

TCU: 2-2

Clemson: 1-2

Perspective that probably only those in the over 40 set will appreciate .... all three of the major men's sports went to the post-season and yet all three fell well short of expectations. There was a long period in TCUs history when ANY post season in ANY sport was a rare occasion to be celebrated.  

While we've fallen a bit from peak Frogs a few years ago, things are still pretty good.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 6

5 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Perspective that probably only those in the over 40 set will appreciate .... all three of the major men's sports went to the post-season and yet all three fell well short of expectations. There was a long period in TCUs history when ANY post season in ANY sport was a rare occasion to be celebrated.  

While we've fallen a bit from peak Frogs a few years ago, things are still pretty good.  

Well, in the major men's sport, we made the Elite 8 (and our 5th consecutive Sweet 16), losing only to the eventual national champ, we finished in the Top 10 yet again, our top player made the semis for only the 2nd time in history and lost only to the nation's #1 player and a recent grad vaulted into the ATP Top 50; the fastest rise of any college player in over a decade.  And in golf, I think Alexa Shaw said that we finished in the Top 15; and in rifle, we won the natty.  In the minor sports, we won the most entertaining bowl game of the entire bowl season, we made our 3rd consecutive basketball post-season; and we finished in the Top 32 in baseball after making a regional final against a national seed.

In 1977, we went 0-11 in football (however, as usual for a tennis school, we were in the Top 25 in our principal sport) and if you had told me these would be the 2018-19 results for the other sports, I wouldn't have believed you.  I guess the definition of "well short of expectations" varies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 1

On 6/3/2019 at 2:19 AM, Feeling Froggy said:

For what it is worth, the last 4 teams in went a combined 9-4. Two are regional champs, and one was the runner-up.

FSU: 3-0

Duke: 3-0

TCU: 2-2

Clemson: 1-2

And both Duke and FSU are up 1-0 in their Supers (against Vandy and LSU).  And 3-seed Michigan is up 1-0 on Overall 1 seed UCLA.

Lewuhvul is the first team into the CWS, destroying ECU in two games ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, Duquesne Frog said:

And both Duke and FSU are up 1-0 in their Supers (against Vandy and LSU).  And 3-seed Michigan is up 1-0 on Overall 1 seed UCLA.

Lewuhvul is the first team into the CWS, destroying ECU in two games ...

I saw that Duke was pounding on Vandy last night. They were up something like 17 or 18 to 5 in the bottom of the 9th.

Since we aren't in the mix, I am pulling for full chaos. And all $EC teams to fail.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I saw that Duke was pounding on Vandy last night. They were up something like 17 or 18 to 5 in the bottom of the 9th.

Since we aren't in the mix, I am pulling for full chaos. And all $EC teams to fail.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2

Okie Lite beat Tceh tonight to even the Big XII-II Super.  Winner goes to Omaha tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Vandy pitcher no-hit Duke with 19 Ks yesterday.  That series is even.

UCLA staved off elimination with an extra inning win over Michigan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Good thread re-naming. 👍

• Like (+1) 2

Two of the three 3-seeds advance ... Michigan took down #1-overall UCLA and Florida State (for once over-performing in baseball postseason) swept LSU.  I think this is the first time Michigan has been back to the CWS since Jim Abbott pitched for them ...

Related image

Mississippi State took out Stanford.

Two Supers still undecided: Auburn - UNC and Miss - Ark.  Guaranteed 3 SEC teams and possibly a 4th.  Blech.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Two Supers still undecided: Auburn - UNC and Miss - Ark.  Guaranteed 3 SEC teams and possibly a 4th.  Blech.

And half the field will be SEC as Auburn takes down N. Carolina.  Ark is up early on Miss for the final spot.

10 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

And half the field will be SEC as Auburn takes down N. Carolina.  Ark is up early on Miss for the final spot.

Wasn't the reasoning behind pairing conference mates in the super regionals to avoid stacking the field of 8 in Omaha with teams from the same conference? Seems like that worked out well.

• Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Wasn't the reasoning behind pairing conference mates in the super regionals to avoid stacking the field of 8 in Omaha with teams from the same conference? Seems like that worked out well.

The CWS was half SEC one year during TCU’s streak.  IIRC, half of THOSE teams (aggy and LSU) were eliminated by TCU.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

And Arky is through.  The CWS brackets are:

Michigan-Tceh

Arky-FSU

Vandy-L'ville

Auburn-MissSt

L'ville may be one of the dirtiest programs in sports, but I guess we've gotta root for them in that second bracket.  

Tceh actually ought to have a good shot to come out of the first bracket.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

And Arky is through.  The CWS brackets are:

Michigan-Tceh

Arky-FSU

Vandy-L'ville

Auburn-MissSt

L'ville may be one of the dirtiest programs in sports, but I guess we've gotta root for them in that second bracket.  

Tceh actually ought to have a good shot to come out of the first bracket.  

I hate all these teams! BLEAGH!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm fine with Tech winning if it helps the conference's reputation.

As an aside, the brother of my daughter's best friend, who is a going to be a sophomore in HS in the fall, has verbally committed to L'ville.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:40 AM, Newbomb Turk said:

I AM planning on relaxing the diet in Cozumel in a couple of weeks.  Tacos al pastor at Los Otates are not to be missed.

155CDBEDC3484C5ABF31.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3