Sign in to follow this  
Radio Shack Killa

Frogs in the NBA and Other Pro Leagues

The Pelicans have opened pre-season camp with 19 players.  The NBA limit is 15, so they'll have some cuts to make.  They have 12 players on guaranteed contracts, and a 13th (Trevon Bluiett) on a 2 way deal with the G League (the Pelicans do not currently have an affiliate, so he could end up anywhere).  That essentially leaves 6 players competing for the remaining 3 slots, including Garlon Green and Kenrich Williams.  The other 4 are:

34 yo veteran PG/SG Jarrett Jack

27 yo journeyman PG Darius Morris

22 yo C Jahlil Okafor

23 yo SF Troy Williams

Green and Williams have the smallest contracts of the 6 - dont know if that helps or hurts, although aint none of them on huge deals (Jack is 2.4 million).  If I had to guess, I'd say Okafor is a near-lock to make the team, because he gives them depth behind The Brow, he's young and still has gobs of potential.  Jack brings a lot of experience and versatility, so he'd be considered a good shot to make the roster.  After that, its a crap shoot.

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Green and Williams both remain on the bubble to make the Pelicans' roster: LINK

Through 4 preseason games (all Pelican losses):

Green: 16 points, 25% FG, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover

Kenny Hustle: 12 points, 50% FG, 15 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers

The Pelicans finish out their preseason schedule tonight at home against the Raptors - then open the regular season next Wednesday against the Rockets in Houston. 

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Worth noting here that the Mavs' Maxi Kleber played one season for Obradoiro, averaging 11.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game.

Since he went undrafted out of TCU, can Vlad just sign as a free agent if/when a team shows interest?

54 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Since he went undrafted out of TCU, can Vlad just sign as a free agent if/when a team shows interest?

Good quesiton - I don't know how that works for him.  I know there are instances in which NBA teams control a players rights for several years while they play in Europe, but I'm not aware of how that affects someone like Vlad who was undrafted, signed and played in the summer league, then released.  If I had to guess, it'd be that he could sign with any NBA team that wanted him.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, Lyle Lanley II said:

Good quesiton - I don't know how that works for him.  I know there are instances in which NBA teams control a players rights for several years while they play in Europe, but I'm not aware of how that affects someone like Vlad who was undrafted, signed and played in the summer league, then released.  If I had to guess, it'd be that he could sign with any NBA team that wanted him.

I am almost positive that this is correct. The only time a team can hold your rights (outside of being under contract with them) is if they drafted you. Once you make it through the draft process, if a team did not pick you up, you are free to sign wherever you'd like.

I watched most of that game last night. Rockets crapped the bed in the third Q. KW34 played super well. His coach really trusts him. The Rockets broadcast mentioned multiple times about KW being an "undrafted rookie out of TCU"

One of the reasons we may be struggling in Big12 play this year is that we're missing a dude who is a legit NBA rotation guy.