Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Tennis 2018-19

Cam Norrie is now at Eastbourne for another pre-Wimbledon tune-up.  He'll face Jeremy Chardy (ATP #81, from France) in about an hour in singles and he's also in doubles (teaming with Juan Ignacio Londero, an Argentine and friend of Facundo Lugones).

• Like (+1) 1

The Camster has started and he's already up a break!  2-0!

Make that 3-0!  Cam's lost 4 matches in a row - maybe he'll get off the schneid this week.

Rain interruption.  (sigh).

And that'll be it for the day as the tourney is called off due to rain and darkness tonight.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Several Frogs are scheduled to play in this week's Futures tournament in Cancun. Eduardo Roldan won his first-round qualifier, but lost to the qualifying tournament's top seed, Alejandro Mendoza of Bolivia. But the main draw of 32 has three Frogs: second-seeded Gerardo Lopez Villasenor, fourth-seeded Nick Chappell, and unseeded Reese Stalder. All four Frogs are in the doubles tournament. Eduardo is paired with fellow Mexican Juan Ignacio Batalla Diez. Reese is paired with fellow American Grey Hamilton (Ole Miss). Jerry is paired with... fellow Frog Nick Chappell! Jerry and Nick are seeded second. 

TCU's Czech signees are also active this week, at Pardubice in the Czech Republic. Tadeas Paroulek is in the main draw, but Tomas Jirousek will need to defeat Timo Stodder (Tennessee) tomorrow to qualify. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Camster beat Chardy early this morning 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) at Eastbourne and will now play friend and fellow Brit Kyle Edmond (ATP#31) in the quarters.  Cam is #49 and this is a battle between the U.K.'s #1 and #2 players.  Cam's doubles match starts shortly - he and Londero and playing Mclachlan and Nielson.

Widow lost 3 and 1 to Nicolas Mejia in singles at Cancun but he's still alive in doubles.  Jerry Lopez will be playing Joshua Ortlip later today or tomorrow (he's won something like 11 matches in a row); Nick Chappell  will play Luiz Enrique Mancilla de la Cruz later today and  is also still alive in doubles with Jerry.

Cam and Londero lost in doubles 3-6, 7-6, 5-10. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Cam Norrie is now playing Kyle Edmond at Eastbourne and is trailing 2-4 in the 1st set.  Go Cam!

2-5.  Not looking good.

Rain delay.  What is it with England's weather?

Play resumed and Cam fell 2 and 2 - the finish was on the Tennis Channel. 

• Sad 1

Jerry Lopez beat Mwendwa Mbithi 4 and 2 today at Cancun in singles  - stretching his winning streak and advancing to the next round.  He simply can not lose in Cancun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

In other Cancun news, Nick Chappell surveyed past Karl Poling (Princeton), 5-7, 6-4, 6-2. 

Reese Stalder and Eduardo Roldan were also scheduled today to play in separate matches with their non-Frog partners. (The web scoreboard is unavailable. I suspect it's on the short bus ride from Cancun to the impressive Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza, which the Fractal Frog visited in the early 90s.)

In results that I think none of us will endorse, our Czech signees, Tadeas and Tomas, were both bounced from singles in their tournament in Pardubice, Czech Republic, yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 6/27/2019 at 1:56 PM, FractalFrog said:

In results that I think none of us will endorse, our Czech signees,

Hmmm.  Making word jokes while reporting tennis results is a tradition on this thread that I'm glad others participate in...

The King of Cancun (AKA Jerry Lopez, o si prefiere espanol, Gerardo Lopez Villasenor), won yet again at Cancun like usual (ho hum) - this time over Nicolas Mejia 2 and 4 this morning.  He'll next face A Geller tomorrow (whatever "a geller is").  Widow and Hamilton are currently losing in doubles to Geller and Mejia 2-6, 2-2 even as I type this.  Nick Chappell beat Justin Roberts 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6) in a thriller and he'll next face Canadian Tarheel Benjamin Sigouin (ATP#553) tomorrow.  Eduardito is out after falling below the Mendoza line 2 and 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Say it ain't so - Jerry Lopez finally lost at Cancun after 3 solid undefeated weeks there.  He fell to Axel Geller, an Argentine Stanford Cardinal, 5-7, 1-6 in the semis this morning.  Geller will now face TCU's Nick Chappell, who made the final by beating Sigouin 6-3, 7-5.  So, if Nick can pull off tomorrow' final, Frogs will have won 3 straight tourneys there.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Chappell lost to Geller yesterday (after several rain delays) 3-6, 6-7 (4-7) at Cancun, so the Frogs made all three Cancun finals, winning 2 of them (by Jerry Lopez).  Not bad for both Jerry and Nick.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Wimbledon starts today and Cam Norrie (ATP #55) is scheduled to play Denis Istomin (ATP# 115), an Uzbek player of Russian descent, in the Round of 128 early tomorrow morning.  Cam is also in the doubles draw - teaming with Jaume Munar, a Spaniard, he's scheduled to play Dominic Inglot and Austin Krajicek on Wednesday in the Round of 32.  For fans that can't get in to see his match on the court, there's always Norrie Hill, which Wimbledon has set up for Cam's fans to watch on big screen TV.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I expect the Duchess of Cambridge (Catherine, or Kate, as the peasants call her) to make at least one appearance at the tennis this year as she is the royal patron of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (Wimbledon for the peasants reading this). Perhaps if Cameron advances far enough in the tournament he will be privileged to have the opportunity to play with Her Royal Highness in attendance. 

The Camster was victorious over Istomin 2, 4 and 4 this morning and has advanced to the Round of 64 where he will play Kei Nishikori (ATP#7).  Cam got into a little controversy with a tweet about how the Wimbledon wild cards should be announced 6 weeks or so before the tourney rather than just a few days before - he's been the recipient of wild cards before and probably shouldn't have opined.

• Upvote (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, Jared said:

The Camster was victorious over Istomin 2, 4 and 4 this morning and has advanced to the Round of 64 where he will play Kei Nishikori (ATP#7).  

I take it he will not be favored 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

I take it he will not be favored 

We'll see.  Nishikori has been hot lately, moving into the Top 10 under the coaching of Michael Chang.  But that has mostly been on clay and hard surfaces; not on grass, and he's only seeded 8th despite a ranking of 7th because Wimbledon doesn't just take the ATP ranking, they also take into account whether it was a grass surface.  And Cam's m.o. has been to beat higher ranked players and lose to guys he shouldn't.

In a 5-set marathon, Cam and Munar beat Inglot and Krajicek 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-7 (11-13), 6-3 today to advance to the Round of 16 in doubles.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

There's yet another tennis tournament in Cancun this week and 4 Frogs are once again competing there.  Two-time Cancun champion Jerry Lopez (o Gerardo Lopez Villasenor si prefiere espanol) beat Jack Gibbens, a British player, 4 and 3 this morning and is now scheduled to face Alan Fernando Rubio Fierros, a Mexican player, tomorrow in singles.  In doubles, Jerry is teaming with Eduardo Roldan, and they will face Rubio Fierros and Jose Hernandez Serrano in an all-Mexican battle tomorrow as well in the quarters.  Eduardito won one qualie but lost his 2nd round two days ago.  Widow is also there - he lost in the qualies yesterday, but is still alive in the doubles. Teaming with Austin Rapp, they won their first round match today and are also into the quarters  where they will face Bierman/Ortlip tomorrow.  Last week's finalist Nick Chappell is also there; he'll play Eric Hadigian tomorrow in singles and he's teaming with Grey Hamilton (they're seeded 2nd) and will play Axel Geller and Nicholas Mejia tomorrow as well.

There has been no Alex Rybakov sighting in weeks...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Cam lost this morning to Nishikori 4, 4 and love and is out of the singles competition at Wimbledon.  He's ranked 55th and he made the Round of 64, which is where you would expect him to end up but he didn't do any better than form.  Still, though, this is best Wimbledon ever and he remains alive in the doubles.  After London, it's off to the hard court surfaces in the lead up to the U.S. Open later this summer. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Cam and Munar lost in doubles today in a 5-setter that lasted nearly 3 hours 6-1, 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), 2-6, 2-6, so they basically had it in their grasp and collapsed in the later sets.  So that's it for Wimbledon for Cam - he made it to the 2nd round in singles and the Round of 16 in doubles.

At Cancun, Jerry Lopez lost in the quarters badly 3-6, 1-6 to Nicholas Moreno de Alboran; and then Nick Chappell lost to Moreno de Alboran 5-7, 0-6 in the semis this morning. Also this morning, Chappell and Hamilton lost to some guy named Reese Stalder and Austin Rapp in the doubles final.  So, Widow just won his first ever pro tourney!!  Sure, it's in doubles, but it's got to be a confidence boost for him; especially after losing 5 straight singles matches there.  All in, there have been 4 straight tennis tourneys in Cancun, Jerry Lopez got two singles titles, Nick Chappell made both a singles and a doubles final and Reese Stalder got a doubles title.  Not bad.

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 7/3/2019 at 5:45 PM, Jared said:

There has been no Alex Rybakov sighting in weeks...

Alex is now listed as a wildcard entry in the ATP Challenger in Winnetka, Illinois, and is scheduled to face Aussie Max Purcell (ATP ranking 264) on Tuesday. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

16 hours ago, FractalFrog said:

Alex is now listed as a wildcard entry in the ATP Challenger in Winnetka, Illinois, and is scheduled to face Aussie Max Purcell (ATP ranking 264) on Tuesday. 

Cool!  The tourney is just starting today and I've been checking to see if Alex was going to be there, but he wasn't listed until late - I have tomorrow off and will be able to bike up there and stalk him (er, watch his match).  Purcell is just over from Wimbledon where he lost one doubles match - he's an Aussie who's had some success lately (he won a tourney in Korea recently).  In prior years, the Winnetka Challenger had a large qualifying field and the qualies were all free - Rybo was here last year and won 1 qualie but lost his second round.  But this year, they eliminated all but a couple of the qualie rounds and Alex was fortunate to get a wild card.  Unfortunately, with the elimination of the (free) qualies, this one will cost some money - Alex better win or I'll be wasting my money.  He got a bad draw - the winner between him and Purcell will have to face the #1 seed - Brandon Klahn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Well, there was definitely an Alex Rybakov sighting today as I watched him lose to Max Purcell 6-7 (3-7), 3-6 in the opening round at the Winnetka Challenger.  It was his debut as a full-time pro and he (mostly) played well - in the first set, it was Rybo who mostly dictated play and earned the applause from the (smallish) crowd on Court 5.  He got up a break and I thought he was the better player and would clearly win.  But the ump gave him a time warning and he was called for a foot fault and this seemed to unnerve him and Purcell immediately broke back and the set went to a breaker at 6-all.  Which I thought he was going to win, but that didn't happen as Purcell took a big lead early and ended up winning 7-3.  The 2nd set was pretty even but the Aussie got a break and Alex never recovered.  I still think Alex was more talented but Purcell was clearly more consistent and didn't make nearly as many unforced errors.  The last point was a bad call as Purcell's serve was out, but that's not how the lines judge called it, so c'est la vie.

Alex seemed so dejected and mad at himself that I decided not to bother him with any spurious Frog talk/fanboy behavior.  He did appear to have a new coach who's name I don't know - maybe he's the USTA guy that is supposed to be helping him for a year or so because Rybo won that tourney last fall.  They conclaved immediately after the match and had an animated discussion about something; which I tried to overhear but couldn't.  My take is that Rybo lost because he wasn't wearing purple and was wearing blue instead - it was so humid that he went through multiple shirts and water bottles (I was sitting about 4 feet from him most of the time).  It's good that he's back on tour after his brief vacation.  (Afterwards, I watched another match or two - man, that Thai-son Kwiatkowski is such a jerk!).

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe a "Go Frogs" would have cheered him up a little? Glad you made the trip there on your bike to support him, J. I think Alex would have been grateful had he known.

Reese Stalder has traveled to the beautiful metropolis of Norman to play in the Futures tourney there where he lost 4 and 1 yesterday to former Sooner Spencer Papa, playing on his home courts.  He's also into the doubles, though, and is teaming with his fellow Cancun champ Austin Rapp - they've already won 2 rounds and they'll be playing again later today in the semifinals.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Widow and Rapp lost 1 and 4 yesterday in the semis in Norman.  Not as good as Cancun, but a semis appearance will earn them points and make a little money.

• Thanks (+1) 1