Sign in to follow this  
Jared

TCU Tennis 2018-19

On 3/13/2019 at 5:33 PM, Collegetennisfan said:

Looks like depth is stronger this year for TCU. In the past the teams have been incredibly top heavy. 

Indeed, our formula for winning for virtually all of Roditi's tenure (since 2012) has been to rely on the top 2 slots for W's, win the doubles point and then pray to the tennis Gods that we could eke out one more match from someone in the 3-6 slots.  When it was Cam Norrie and Alex Rybakov, they were probably the nation's best 1-2 punch.  That changed a little last year with Cam's departure and we counted on Rybo and then usually Trevor Johnson and Guillermo Nunez at #2 and #3 to get the W's.  But this season, it's been the bottom of the line-up that keeps coming up with the W's.  Kruger is a very good #4 and would probably be much higher on other teams.  And our freshmen - Luc Fomba and Sander Jong - have really added to the depth at #5 and #6.  At Chicago, this was especially notable as Kruger, Fomba and Jong were responsible for the impressive W's - Bobby Knight at collegetennistoday commented on it as did others.  Eduardo Roldan and Max Kurzban played a lot last year at #5 and #6 and they've undoubtedly improved, but Fomba and Jong evidently have been beating them in practice, which accounts for Roditi playing them so much.  Having such depth at the bottom of the line-up is a different experience for the Frogs and gives us confidence going into Big 12 play and, potentially, the NCAA's.  Other teams used to think if they could just beat Rybo (beating Cam was highly unlikely), they'd probably beat us - that's not the case this year.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lotsa happenings yesterday.  First, CDC fired Michael Center at Texas - he gone.  I guess the details were so lurid and the fact that other schools have been firing everyone else involved turned the tide against our ex-Coach.  Texas had been ranked #2 by the recruiting services for their 2019 class - it'll be interesting to see if all the commits stay because they are now eligible to de-commit and go elsewhere.  After watching Baylor's Boland poach Benedict Brooksby by feting him at the Waco Futures tourney and somehow arranging a wildcard for him, I certainly wouldn't put it past Boland to try (although Brooksby was just a verbal at the time).  UT's top recruit -Siem Woldeab - was quoted by the Tennis Recruiting Network as saying  he's staying, but that could change now.  Another top recruit - Eshan Talluri, who is good friends with Woldeab, is also a potential target.  I wonder if Roditi will try.  My guess is that they will stay, but CDC could hire someone other than Berque and that could re-inforce the turmoil.

Second, it wasn't Fomba and Jong at #3  doubles yesterday - the Tennessee site was wrong.  Instead, it was Eduardo Roldan and Juan Martin.  They were up 5-4 before we clinched the doubles point late with W's from Rybo/AG and Widow/Kruger.  Roditi changed up the line-up a little bit and the Tennessee site didn't know the difference.

Also, Florida beat Wake yesterday, behind a W by Oliver Crawford over Petros Chrysochos.  Because we lost 4-3 to the Gators, this will help us a little in the rankings as they will probably move up.  And, Tulsa, who we also lost to, beat Oklahoma State 4-3.  That might move Tulsa back up in the rankings (they've now beaten TCU and Okie State) and could help us when the ITA switches to rating more of our matches in their computer formula.  In yesterday's rankings A&M made the biggest jump - moving up 9 spots due to their W over Wolf-less Ohio State on Monday.  Virginia also beat Michigan.

Next up for the Frogs is some double-header action on Saturday as we host both LMU and Pepperdine from the WCC.  Usually, they're at the top of the WCC, but this year, BYU and San Diego have been playing better and are higher ranked.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Jerry Lopez (o Gerardo Lopez Villasenor si prefiere espanol) is in Cancun this week for the ITF tourney there - yesterday, he won his first round match 0 and 0 over Edgar Cruz Vazquez and will play today against Maxsim Tikhomirov in the Round of 16.  In doubles, he's teaming with Peruvian Jorge Brian Panta and yesterday, they beat former Aggie villain A.J. Catanzariti (of racquet throwing/kicking fame) and Julian Bradley 4 and 2.  They're now into the quarters against Guatemalan Wilfredo Gonzalez and Peruvian Juan Pablo Varillas.  Jerry also got a wild card in Acapulco last week, but lost in the opening round to Stevie Johnson.

• Upvote (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Jared said:

he won his first round match 0 and 0

How do you win something if there is no score? (I know nothing of tennis scoring, obviously.)

27 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

How do you win something if there is no score? (I know nothing of tennis scoring, obviously.)

6-0, 6-0.

• Like (+1) 1

Texas walloped Ohio State tonight in Austin 4-1.  There are several ways to evaluate that.  First, you can focus on the fact that J.J. Wolf, just like against A&M on Monday, was not there and when you lose your top player, the whole team suffers.  Second, you can also look at the fact that both the Aggie and Longhorn matches were outdoors and conclude that while Ohio State may be the best indoors, they aren't necessarily the best outside in the wind and elements, which are key factors in tennis.  Third, they were both on the road and both A&M and Texas are tough at home.  Fourth, you could look at the whole Center brouhaha and say that Texas rallied round their new coach (who, uh, used to coach Michigan who I've heard is a big rival of OSU).  Whatever...  There might be a shakeup in the rankings next week with the Buckeyes on a 2-match losing streak and Wake having lost to Florida.  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Texas move up to #1 because it would put more pressure on them going into Big 12 play.

Jerry Lopez (ATP#551) beat Tikhimirov 6-2, 6-3 tonight and has advanced to the quarters at Cancun in singles where he will play Naoki Nakagawa.  And in doubles, Jerry and Panta also advanced to the semis where they will play Dutchman Stephan Gerritson and Austrian David Pichler.  This is a very good tourney for Jerry so far!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

One of the anomalies of the new pro system is that points earned at last year's Futures events don't carry over into this year and, as of January, there are now essentially two pro circuits - the ATP tour, which consists of ATP tourneys and Challenger tourneys, at which players earn "ATP points", and the ITF World Tennis Tour, which consists of Futures and Transition tourneys, at which players earn "ITF World Tennis points."  And there are now two ranking systems - the ATP ranking and the ITF World Tennis ranking.  For this reason, top college players are massively incentivized to play as many Challenger events as possible in order to earn ATP points so that when they graduate or during the summers and falls, they have enough ATP points to qualify for Challengers, which now earn more money than ever.  College players don't want to be relegated to playing ITF World events because Transition tourneys don't earn any money and Futures less than Challengers.  This is why Rybo switched almost exclusively to Challengers last summer and it's also why J.J. Wolf played a Challenger this week and why Wake Coach Tony Presley has allowed Borna Gojo to miss some Wake matches to play Challengers (weirdly, Petros Chrysochos is arguably the #1 college player but he's been playing at #2 for Wake while Gojo has been playing at #1).  What this means for colleges is that top players miss key matches - like Wolf v. A&M and Texas - and chaos ensues because full team rosters are not playing full team rosters all the time.  Are the Aggies and Longhorns really better than the Buckeyes when Ohio State lets its top player go off and play pro during the dual match Spring season?  (Luckily Rybo's ranking is high enough for him not to miss any of our matches as yet - he did play the Dallas Challenger but that didn't conflict with our schedule)).  Roditi is like other coaches, though, they have to be flexible enough to allow their top players to do this or they might go elsewhere.

Ohio State had won 17 straight doubles points but that ended last night with Wolf out (there was a huge crowd, it was windy and it was covered live by the LHN).  Then, Yuya Ito beat Kyle Seelig, Leonardo Telles beat Martin Joyce and Rodrigo Banzer beat (normal Buckeye sub) Hunter Tubert and that was that.  The Sigsgaard/McNally match and the Scott/Kobelt match went unfinished and OSU only won the James Trotter/Colin Markes match.

Also, Mississippi State beat Alabama - this might help our ranking because of our W(s) over the Bulldogs.  And Tech got a road W over UCF.

Welcome to our board, @Collegetennisfan! Jared can't believe his luck that someone with that user name has joined the ranks. :) You've come across the best TCU tennis reporting on the wide, wide, interwebs, thanks to him. How did you find us? Do you cheer for TCU?

Glad you've jumped right in to the discussion. Take a look around the rest of the board, too. There's lots to talk about.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Welcome to our board, @Collegetennisfan! Jared can't believe his luck that someone with that user name has joined the ranks. :) You've come across the best TCU tennis reporting on the wide, wide, interwebs, thanks to him. How did you find us? Do you cheer for TCU?

Glad you've jumped right in to the discussion. Take a look around the rest of the board, too. There's lots to talk about.

I am not a TCU fan but I do like the TCU tennis program and highly respect the job that Roditi is doing. I have seen TCU play several times in the past few years. I am a a big fan of college tennis in general and look around at other forums that discuss college tennis (there aren't many) and I found out that this thread existed and Jared clearly has a lot of knowledge of the TCU program. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Collegetennisfan said:

I am not a TCU fan but I do like the TCU tennis program and highly respect the job that Roditi is doing. I have seen TCU play several times in the past few years. I am a a big fan of college tennis in general and look around at other forums that discuss college tennis (there aren't many) and I found out that this thread existed and Jared clearly has a lot of knowledge of the TCU program. 

Well, perhaps we'll make a TCU fan out of you. :) At least, Jared's gonna try his hardest to do it! Don't know if you're in Ft. Worth, but they always have free pizza at our home matches, so head on out there sometime if you can. GO FROGS!

1 hour ago, Collegetennisfan said:

and Jared clearly has a lot of knowledge of the TCU program. 

Well, I've learned how to surf the web for TCU tennis news, but our Boston-area correspondent knows at least as much as me and he holds a degree from what is now the Bob Schieffer School of Journalism as well as being responsible for single-handedly getting TCU into the 1998 Sun Bowl which turned the whole TCU sports program around, and the sole author of the TCU Tennis wikipedia page also contributes as well as our Pacific Northwest correspondents.  And now that you're here, you have officially been designated as our southeastern correspondent.

• Haha  (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Jared said:

Well, I've learned how to surf the web for TCU tennis news, but our Boston-area correspondent knows at least as much as me and he holds a degree from what is now the Bob Schieffer School of Journalism as well as being responsible for single-handedly getting TCU into the 1998 Sun Bowl which turned the whole TCU sports program around, and the sole author of the TCU Tennis wikipedia page also contributes as well as our Pacific Northwest correspondents.

Finally some credit for the Sun Bowl 

But you know a lot more than I do about college tennis 

• Like (+1) 2

TCU will host a doubleheader tomorrow at the tennis center - starting with Pepperdine at 11:00 a.m. and following with Loyola Marymount at 3:30 p.m.  The Waves are 3-5, a little worse than they usually are, with W's over UNLV, Ball State and Navy and L's to Fresno State, ACU, Arizona State, Alabama and UCSB.  Enrique Luque Rico has 9 W's in singles for the Waves, Adrian Oetzbach has 5 W's, Oetzbach and Tim Zeitvogel and Rico and Mattias Sborowitz are their top 2 doubles teams.  All-time, TCU trails the historic series 6-17 although TCU has won the last 2 in a row.  In Ft. Worth, TCU trails the Waves 2-5.  Tomorrow will be a great chance for the Frogs to continue evening the all-time record.  LMU is 2-6 on the season, with W's over New Mexico and Brown and L's to Fresno State, TCU, Arizona State (by forfeit), Oregon, UNC-Wilmington and UCSB.  We've already hosted them this season in the ITA Kickoff.  Diego Nava leads the Lions with the most singles W's; he and Nick Borchenko and Thien Nguyen and Lukas Moenter are both undefeated in doubles action this season.  All-time, TCU leads the historic series with the Lions 1-0 with the January meeting being our only previous match with them - we beat them 4-0.  Obviously, we're going to be heavily favored against both teams and I expect Roditi will play the entire roster, including Roldan, Martin and Kurzban.  We've won 5 straight and I hope and expect us to make it 7 straight by tomorrow night.

Jerry Lopez lost in singles today in Cancun to Nakagawa 6-7 (5-7),  2-6 in the quarters, but he and Panta won their semifinal doubles match and have advanced to the finals tomorrow where they will play Brazilians Joao Lucas Reis da Silva and Fernando Yamacita.  Jerry has won 1 doubles title in the Futures before but that was 5 years ago in 2014, so this would be a huge milestone were he to win again.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Pepperdine match is just about to start.  In doubles, it'll be Widow/Boer v. Oetzbach/Zeitvogel; Fomba/Jong v. Sborowitz/Rico and AG/Eduardito v. Corrado Summaria/Pawel Jonkowiak.  Singles will be Rybo v. Oetzbach; Widow v. Rico; Kruger v. Summaria; Fomba v. Sborowitz; Martin v. Zeitvogel and Roldan v. Jankowiak.

Weak start.  Widow/Bert 1-all; Fooomba/Jong love-2; Eduardito/AG love-1.

Reese/Bertus 1-2; Luc/Sander 1-2; Eduardo/Ali 0-2.  C'mon guys - wake up!!

The sleepers have awakened.  Widow/Boer 2-all; Fomba/Jong 2-all; Roldan/Gray 1-2.

2-3; 3-2; 2-all.

Ouch!  Californian/South African 2-4; Frenchie/Dutchie 3-all; Mexicano/Englishman 2-4.  We could lose this...

Whew!  The comeback begins.  Widow/Boer 3-4; Fomba/Jong 4-3; Roldan/Big Al 4-3.

3-5; 5-3; 4-3.  Eduardo and Alastair need to hang on...

3-5; 5-4; 5-3.

4-5; 5-4; 5-4.  Very tight on all 3 courts.

Luc and Sander take it 6-4!

And Alastair and Eduardo take their set 6-4 and it's TCU 1 Pepperdine 0!  Back in a few...

• Like (+1) 1

Singles is well underway and the Frogs are making waves!

Alexandrovich Sergeyivich Rybakovsky 5-1; the Red Widow 2-3;  Bertus the Boer 3-all; Fomba from France  5-2; Juan Martin (sans del Potro) 3-3; Eduardito 2-3.

Alex takes it 6-1; Reese 3-5; Bertus 4-all; Luc 5-2; Juan 3-all; Eduardo 2-3.

Rybo 1-all in his 2nd; Widow 5-all; Bertus takes it 6-4!; Luc takes it 6-3!; Juan 3-4; Eduardo 3-4.

Rybo 2-1; Reese 6-5; Bert 1-0; Luc 0-1; Juan 3-5; Eduardo 4-all.

Alex 3-2; Reese 7-5, 1-love; Bertus 3-2; Luc 2-all; Juan 3-6, 1-0; Eduardo takes it 6-4.  We've won 5 first sets, the sun is shining and things look good!

Rybo 4-2; Widow 2-love; Kruger 4-3; Fomba 2-3; Martin 1-all; Roldan 0-1.  All 2nd sets.

Alex 4-3; Reese 2-1; Bertus 4-3; Luc 3-all; Juan 2-1; Eduardo 1-all.

Rybo 5-3; Widow 2-1; Kruger 4-all; Fomba 3-4; Martin 2-1; Roldan 1-all.

#7 Alex Rybakov takes it 6-1, 6-3 and it's TCU 2 Pepperdine 0!  Stalder 3-1; Kruger 4-5; Fomba 3-1; Martin 4-1; Roldan 2-1.

Widow 4-1; Kruger 4-5; Fomba 3-5; Martin 4-1; Roldan 3-1.  We just need 2 of these...

Reese 4-2; Bert 5-all; Luc 4-5; Juan 4-2; Eduardito 4-1.

#86 Bertus Kruger comes back to win 6-4, 7-5 and it's TCU 3 Pepperdine 0!!  Stalder 5-2; Fomba 5-all; Martin 5-2; Roldan 4-1.  Who's gonna clinch it?

Widow 5-3; Luc 6-5; Juan 5-3; Eduardo 4-2.  My money is on Stalder...

Juan Martin wins his 2nd set 6-3 and is into a 3rd set - it's his first set victory in collegiate tennis!

Reese 5-4; Luc 6-all and into a breaker; Martin just starting his 3rd; Eduardo 4-3.

Ouch!  Stalder gets broken and it's 5-all; Fomba in the breaker 6-all; Martin 0-0; Roldan 4-3.

Stalder 6-5; Fomba in a long breaker; Martin 1-0 in the 3rd; Roldan 4-all.

Viva la France!!  Luc Fomba wins his breaker 7-6 and clinches a 4-0 sweep for the Frogs!!  We're 11-3 and have won 6 straight!  LMU next at 3:30 today!!  Quel magnifique!

Unfortunately, I've got to go to work, but I'll catch up later...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Endless Purple said:

Go Frogs showing the win over Pepperdine 6-1 AND a win over LM 6-0.

Yep, we move to 12-3, with our 7th W in a row w/ a 6-0 sweep of LMU.  Roditi went back to the usual line-up in both doubles and singles and the guys played well with quick W's across the board (Fomba was the only player who did not finish out a W).  If you count our 3-0 record at Tempe and our (almost) W over USF, we're "really" 16-3, with multiple ranked W's.  Next up, though, is a really tough home match against Columbia, who's in the Top 10 on Wednesday.

Jerry Lopez won the doubles final at Cancun and, with Jorge Brian Panta, took home the championship trophy with a 7-6 (11-9), 4-6, (10-8) W over Reis da Silva and Yamacita today.  This is the 2nd all-time pro doubles championship for Jerry and will definitely help him in the ITF World doubles rankings.  Congrats to Jerry - this is a fantastic result for him!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3