Sign in to follow this  
gofrogs152

The Podcasts Thread

A few other good 'uns I've come across recently:

Throughline -- A new NPR production that takes a topic that has a big impact on the world or America today and goes back through the history of that topic to understand how we got here.  The hosts are Muslim-Americans, so the shows talking about Islam-specific things are particularly informative for some one who doesn't live in that culture ... e.g., I think their first episode was about Iranian-American relations; and then they did another one more recently on the Sunni-Shi'ia conflict and how it is more a Arab-Persian conflict than it is a schism over doctrine.  They also did a good episode on the tendency for people to fear the "next big thing," like artificial intelligence and driverless cars by going back and looking at coffee, tractors, and telephones as examples of similar culturally transformative things in the past and how society responded to them.

Behind the Bastards -- I just started this one, but it is a guy with a rotating cohost (often a comedian) going through some of the details of the lives of some of history's worst people and trying to extract how and why they became the people they became.  Despite the subject matter, it's actually pretty funny.

Against the Rules -- Michael Lewis' (of Moneyball fame) just started a podcast about the declining role of referees in society.  In a world that seems to increasingly reject expertise and the need for regulation, it goes into some of the ways people on the wrong side of a power imbalance get screwed when there are no referees to help make sure the powerful follow the rules of law and common decency.  His episode about how the banks allow someone to steal your identity and then put the onus on the person whose identity was stolen to fix their phuc up was particularly angering ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I've been listening to Pod Save America a lot lately.  Undeniably liberal podcast, but they have done very in depth interviews with many of the democratic candidates.  If you want to get something more than the common 30 second sound bites I definitely recommend the candidate interviews.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nice to see you, @gofrogs152. 😊

I've been listening to Stuff You Missed In History Class. It's good! So many topics.

• Like (+1) 1

My new obsession is Revolutions hosted by Mike Duncan.  He goes through immense detail about pretty much every European/New World revolution that has occurred since the English revolution the mid 17th century.  Right now he is in the middle of the Russian and I've gone back and listened to his series on the English, American, French (1789-1810), Haitian, Bolivarian, and French again (1830-32).  Now I'm catching up on the 1848 revolutions (touched on in the Victoria PBS Masterpiece series, if you've seen).

Hes also got a massive series on the Roman Republic/Empire that I'll get to eventually.  If you are a history buff, it is a daunting in scope but absolutely fascinating.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

My new obsession is Revolutions hosted by Mike Duncan.  He goes through immense detail about pretty much every European/New World revolution that has occurred since the English revolution the mid 17th century.  Right now he is in the middle of the Russian and I've gone back and listened to his series on the English, American, French (1789-1810), Haitian, Bolivarian, and French again (1830-32).  Now I'm catching up on the 1848 revolutions (touched on in the Victoria PBS Masterpiece series, if you've seen).

Hes also got a massive series on the Roman Republic/Empire that I'll get to eventually.  If you are a history buff, it is a daunting in scope but absolutely fascinating.

Definitely going to add this to my queue 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, gofrogs152 said:

Slow Burn is incredible.  The one on Clinton was very disturbing to me.  Really me re-think how I viewed him, sadly.  

There is a new Slow Burn season out now which is hosted by a new guy and is about the Tupac/Biggie imbroglio/murders.  I'm not a rap guy and probably wouldn't have listened to it if it weren't a Slow Burn production, but  I've stuck with it because I'm trying to understand what all the fuss was.  Still not sure I understand, but I'm definitely not in the correct demographic.

3 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

There is a new Slow Burn season out now which is hosted by a new guy and is about the Tupac/Biggie imbroglio/murders.  I'm not a rap guy and probably wouldn't have listened to it if it weren't a Slow Burn production, but  I've stuck with it because I'm trying to understand what all the fuss was.  Still not sure I understand, but I'm definitely not in the correct demographic.

I had seen it pop up on my library as having new episodes but hadn't checked it yet.  I'm with you in not understanding all the fuss.  Once football season ends and I don't have my CFB and NFL podcasts for the drive, maybe I will check it out.  Thanks for the heads up!  

The Other Latif series from Radiolab is compelling as shit.  It's only two episodes in but so far it is awesome.

The story is that Latif Nasser, who is a reporter for Radiolab, finds that there is only one other person in the US with his name, and the other one is detained in Gitmo.  So he begins to investigate who the guy is, where he came from, why he was detained, etc., talking to his attorney (who cant tell him much because most of the case against him is classified), finding his family in Morrocco, and basically following his path that brought him to Cuba.  Really fascinating.

• Upvote (+1) 1