Sign in to follow this  
gofrogs152

Podcasts

I've really gotten into podcasts as a way to help me be less enraged while dealing with Baltimore Beltway Traffic.   Some of my recommendations:

Serial (Season 2 focuses on the Bowe Bergdahl story and is fascinating and enlightining)

In the Dark (Season 2 is better, focuses on Curtis Flowers who was tried for the same murders 6 separate times)

Slow Burn (fascinating look at Watergate)

Crimetown (incredibly well done,  looks at crime and corruption centering around Buddy Scianci, 4 time may of Providence, RI)

Caliphate (looks at individuals -- including one Canadian -- who goes to fight for ISIS)

If anyone else is into Podcasts, would love some additional recommendations.  Think I will look for some football related ones....

Some of my faves:

The Slate Political Gabfest -- Three rational, sensible people (usually David Plotz, Emily Bazelon, and John Dickerson) discuss politics in the way I wish everybody could discuss politics

The Dollop -- Two comedians talk about some generally awful person or incident from history in a hilarious way.  Note: Swings WAY left when it gets political ...

The Bugle -- Used to be John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman.  Now that Oliver is super-famous in America, just Andy Zaltzman and a rotating international cast of cohosts that do comedy bits about current events.

Nerdist/ID10T -- If it still exists, Chris Hardwick and the best celebrity interview show for my money.

The Infinite Monkey Cage -- Brian Cox (the physicist, not the actor) and Robin Ince and a rotating panel of scientists and comedians talk about science topics.  Star Talk with Neil Degrasse Tyson is also very good, but usually not as funny.

Stuff You Should Know -- Love the two guys who host that show.  Stuff You Missed in History Class is also good and in the same vein.

Radiolab and all their related side projects -- Hard to describe succinctly, but just excellent journalism and story-telling

Freakonomics -- Makes economics interesting

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History -- Episodes only come out like once every 6 months but they're usually like 4 hours long and take a deep dive into some major historical event.  His series on WWI and the Mongols were phenominal.

There are a bunch of others I like too, but those are the ones I'm most regular with ...

I am so happy you started this thread, 152! I've wanted to dive into the podcast pond, especially on the long days I drive around town with dogs, but I had no idea how or where to start. I will look up some of these. Thanks so much to you and Duq! I hope others will share, as well.

Just now, PurpleDawg said:

I am so happy you started this thread, 152! I've wanted to dive into the podcast pond, especially on the long days I drive around town with dogs, but I had no idea how or where to start. I will look up some of these. Thanks so much to you and Duq! I hope others will share, as well.

I started listening to them when I'm running, and as might be obvious now, I've developed a pretty long list of ones I subscribe to.  I listen to the potty-mouthed ones when I'm running (like the Dollop) and the clean ones at home when kids ears are around.  I doubt your doggies will care one way or the other ...

6 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I doubt your doggies will care one way or the other ...

Especially since they hear my potty-mouth while I'm driving in the insane Portland traffic during construction season. Every major street, road, thoroughfare, boulevard, avenue, highway, interstate, etc., has a road work project going while the sun in shining. It's maddening.

7 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

What podcast app does everyone like and why?

I have an iPhone and there was a podcast app on it that I use.  

Just started using Audible for audio books.  Not through my first book yet (The Woman Who Smashed Codes) so jury is still out.  

I find with audio books that I don't get as much out of them as I do reading a book. I suppose it has something to do with the way I learn, as I'm a visual learner, rather than audible learner. When I took a long road trip from here in Portland to Texas several years ago, I was excited to bring along the audio book versions of two Jane Austen books I hadn't read (shocking, I know!) being read by one of the Redgraves and it was not enjoyable for me at all. It may also have a lot to do with the fact that mostly while listening to the book, I was doing something else (driving), so my mind wasn't totally focused on the story. It was a big disappointment, because I really wanted to like audio books.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, PurpleDawg said:

I find with audio books that I don't get as much out of them as I do reading a book. I suppose it has something to do with the way I learn, as I'm a visual learner, rather than audible learner. When I took a long road trip from here in Portland to Texas several years ago, I was excited to bring along the audio book versions of two Jane Austen books I hadn't read (shocking, I know!) being read by one of the Redgraves and it was not enjoyable for me at all. It may also have a lot to do with the fact that mostly while listening to the book, I was doing something else (driving), so my mind wasn't totally focused on the story. It was a big disappointment, because I really wanted to like audio books.

I have the same problem PD.  Find my mind wandering and then I wonder what I missed.  Do that some with podcasts as well, but I think it helps that a lot of the ones I have listened to have been quite conversational in their presentation.

Have been listening to a College Football podcast from 247 sports. Overall find it pretty good.  Right now they are predicting win totals for every team in each of the P5 conferences.  We can always disagree on football, but they seem to do their homework and provide detailed rationales for their positions.  A good way to start preparing for the season.  

I'm currently addicted to the America Fiasco podcast with Roger Bennett (of Men in Blazers fame) which is about the American MNFT, really throughout the 1990's, but focusing on the namesake fiasco that was the 1998 World Cup where the US scored one goal and lost all three matches.  I remember the big buildup to France and the subsequent 3-and-que let down, but I was not soccer aware enough to know all the drama that was going on behind the scenes.  Players schtupping other player's wives, foreigners getting rushed American citizenship months before the World Cup, mutinies against coaches ... good stuff.

I have found the app that seems to be the most user friendly for me and it's Castbox. I've also subscribed to a bunch of podcasts that I think will be fun to listen to (several college football, some history, only one political that Duq mentioned, a Game of Thornes one, and one about Elton John!). Now I just need to get on the road and listen to them.

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I'm currently addicted to the America Fiasco podcast with Roger Bennett (of Men in Blazers fame) which is about the American MNFT, really throughout the 1990's, but focusing on the namesake fiasco that was the 1998 World Cup where the US scored one goal and lost all three matches.  I remember the big buildup to France and the subsequent 3-and-que let down, but I was not soccer aware enough to know all the drama that was going on behind the scenes.  Players schtupping other player's wives, foreigners getting rushed American citizenship months before the World Cup, mutinies against coaches ... good stuff.

And that 98 fiasco was followed up by arguably the best performance ever by the US at the 02 Cup.

Was very aware of the situation with John Harkes.😉  that was one f'ed team.

3 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

And that 98 fiasco was followed up by arguably the best performance ever by the US at the 02 Cup.

Was very aware of the situation with John Harkes.😉  that was one f'ed team.

Alexi Lalas, despite contributing to the podcast, doesn't come off well ...