Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

The Official Vladimir Putin World Cup Thread

I thought it was a very entertaining match. Croatia were clearly better in the first half but made two critical errors, and it was a clear hand ball to me. France took over in the second half. Mbappe was unstoppable and is the next global superstar. Once he hones his finishing and ball control a little bit, he'll be dominant. France have the capability to take over a match for 15-20 minutes at a time, and they did that midway through the second half. There were other times when they looked completely disorganized, such as in the first 15 minutes. But I do think they were the best team in this tournament, with Belgium probably second. 

7 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

I thought it was a very entertaining match. Croatia were clearly better in the first half but made two critical errors, and it was a clear hand ball to me. France took over in the second half. Mbappe was unstoppable and is the next global superstar. Once he hones his finishing and ball control a little bit, he'll be dominant. France have the capability to take over a match for 15-20 minutes at a time, and they did that midway through the second half. There were other times when they looked completely disorganized, such as in the first 15 minutes. But I do think they were the best team in this tournament, with Belgium probably second. 

I think the 1st 15 minutes was Croatia's attempt to strike early, knowing that mental and physical fatigue could be an issue in the 2nd half.  Definitely played out that way.

Just now, Radio Shack Killa said:

I think the 1st 15 minutes was Croatia's attempt to strike early, knowing that mental and physical fatigue could be an issue in the 2nd half.  Definitely played out that way.

It was clear that all those games that went to penalties and extra time took a toll on them. 

17 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

And of course, the happiest man in France right now is Hugo Lloris.  WTF, dude....

Well, you knew a Tottenham player had to make some sort of major error. But that was hilarious. Re-launched the game, though, and made the 10 minutes or so after that pretty interesting. 

40 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

I love how you switch over to Euro plurals so easily when you write about the footy. 😆

33 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

By the way, in an effort not to be purely sexist, are there two better looking leaders in the world than these two? I doubt it. 

5b4b651a533e7.image.jpg?resize=760,511

I'll never understand the allure of Macron's Mrs. Robinson.

1 hour ago, Boston Frog said:

Also, it was very gracious of Putin to stand under the only available umbrella at the end while Macron and the Croatian leader got soaked. What a host! 

That is more or less the only thing that caught my wife's attention out of the entire match and the post-game.  She was super pissed that no one got an umbrella for Croatia's female president but Putin got one for himself.  No chivalry in Russia I suppose.  She also commented that Macron's suit was probably going to be ruined. 

11 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

OTOH, possibly the GRU will provide him with an extended free tour of Siberia. Surely the "policewomen" will get one.

They're friends of Pussy Riot, so probably 

28 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

OTOH, possibly the GRU will provide him with an extended free tour of Siberia. Surely the "policewomen" will get one.

The policewomen may get a bottle of perfume from Salisbury.  Shortly thereafter, they will catch a deadly case of the "flu" in jail and their remains will be cremated prior to being released to their family. 

12 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Going back to the 1988 friendly USMNT played against Ecuador and the discrepency on wikipedia as to what stadium hosted it - 

I emailed the communications dept at US Soccer.  They confirmed that the match was played at Herman Clark Stadium.

Really shows where soccer in this country was back then in terms of importance 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Lyle Lanley II said:

Going back to the 1988 friendly USMNT played against Ecuador and the discrepency on wikipedia as to what stadium hosted it - 

I emailed the communications dept at US Soccer.  They confirmed that the match was played at Herman Clark Stadium.

As we say around here, way to do the staff work.  Well done!