Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Happy Memories of Old Scribe

It's Old Scribe's birthday today and I thought a nice way to remember him would be to highlight one of the blog stories he wrote for us here on TFH. With Father's Day just around the corner, maybe this one would be appropriate...

Remember your grandpa?

Entry posted by old scribe ·

Some of this may have been mentioned in past years, but bear with me:

Since I go back further in time than anyone here (I know we are in the ``common era," but I grew up in what was surely an uncommon era), I will relate some memories of my grandfather Milner (the grandfather who didn't know Wyatt Earp).

He was a farmer and boss of a thresher crew mostly, though during the Great Depression he moved into town (Henrietta) and opened a garage. So that was my first memory of him. He'd let me pump gas up into the glass tank at the top of the gas pump, which was a thrill for a 3-4-5 year old kid. Then when WWII came along, and gas and tires were rationed, he went back to farming. Through it all he drove the same 1934 Chevy pickup.

We lived in Tulsa 1944-48, but either by car or train I got to Henrietta each summer. Remember being at the station in Denison (always a big rail center) in 1945 and waiting for troop trains to go by so that our passenger train could procede. I guess the troops were moving moved west as the European war was ended and we still had the Japanese to fight.

More...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 4

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

It's Old Scribe's birthday today and I thought a nice way to remember him would be to highlight one of the blog stories he wrote for us here on TFH. With Father's Day just around the corner, maybe this one would be appropriate...

Remember your grandpa?

Entry posted by old scribe · July 15, 2013

Some of this may have been mentioned in past years, but bear with me:

Since I go back further in time than anyone here (I know we are in the ``common era," but I grew up in what was surely an uncommon era), I will relate some memories of my grandfather Milner (the grandfather who didn't know Wyatt Earp).

He was a farmer and boss of a thresher crew mostly, though during the Great Depression he moved into town (Henrietta) and opened a garage. So that was my first memory of him. He'd let me pump gas up into the glass tank at the top of the gas pump, which was a thrill for a 3-4-5 year old kid. Then when WWII came along, and gas and tires were rationed, he went back to farming. Through it all he drove the same 1934 Chevy pickup.

We lived in Tulsa 1944-48, but either by car or train I got to Henrietta each summer. Remember being at the station in Denison (always a big rail center) in 1945 and waiting for troop trains to go by so that our passenger train could procede. I guess the troops were moving moved west as the European war was ended and we still had the Japanese to fight.

More...

Thanks for sharing PD.  Old Scribe was a treasure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I miss him. A great newspaperman and a great person. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Reading this blog touched me as it reminded me of my mentor who is now also gone.  When I was a young sailor trying to figure out where I was going in life, I worked with a Boeing contractor who would go to sea with us to provide technical assistance.  He had grown up in Tulsa, had joined the Navy out of high school for one enlisted tour, then went to the University of Tulsa and became the engineer I knew.  He had started his engineering career at the Douglas plant in Tulsa, which Old Scribe references indirectly in his blog.  My mentor inspired me to follow the same path he took in life.  I suspect there are many out there who would say the same about Old Scribe. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Didn't want the day to get away from us without remembering our dear friend and honorary Horned Frog on what would have been his 83rd birthday. OS helped us start this place and is truly a cherished memory to all. Here's another of his blog entries for some happy reading.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2