Sign in to follow this  
Radio Shack Killa

So now who's the unstable one?

FWIW...I dont think the grumbling within the Pac 12 will amount to much when it comes to realignment.  The window on them raiding the Big 12 is now closed, and I dont think the monetary difference between the P12 and the B12 are significant enough to result in anybody jumping in either direction.  As always, if there is to be another round of realignment, the SEC or Big 10 will start it, and the shit will roll downhill from there.

I do not share your optimism regarding our place in line.  While we may have taken a discount for various reasons, our Tier 3 revenue is a telling indicator.  Based on what I've been able to find, Tech and TCU are at the bottom, and by a fairly significant amount.  You have the Big 4 (UT, OU, WV, KU) at 9-15 million a year, OSU, KSU and ISU seem to be in the 4-6 million range, Tech's around a mil, then us.  And lets face it - unless you are USC or Notre Dame, being a private school is an inherent disadvantage.  You could add BYU in there, I suppose, except their hubris gets in the way.

OTOH, I think we have already reached and passed critical mass, so I dont think it matters much.

THE BIG-PAC CONFERENCE

PAC: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State

BIG: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, KSU/Baylor/Houston, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State

Conference Championship Game in Las Vegas

Assume OU and OSU to the SEC, WV to the ACC, Virginia and KU to the Big Ten. 

I agree with RSK on this one.  I don't think the Pac-12's problems have much of an effect on conference realignment issues other than that the window for a potential Pac-12 invite to Texas is closing due to the money disparities.  They'll still have the Big10 and the SEC as options in 6-7 years if and when conference realignment rears its ugly head again.  And sure, we should be worried about that if/when it comes because we're so small and (yada yada yada)...  But I'm not worried today.  I'll think about that tomorrow.

Angelo suggested on the surlyboard that the Big 12 and Pac12 should consider an alliance to pool their TV negotiations/leverage and to do a scheduling alliance.  That sounds like a great idea except for the fact that that's exactly what the SWC did with the Big8 and we all know how that turned out.  For that reason, I'm inclined not to do that and instead enjoy watching the Pac12 deal with their issues on their own and let the money disparity continue to grow.

1 hour ago, Jared said:

I agree with RSK on this one.  I don't think the Pac-12's problems have much of an effect on conference realignment issues other than that the window for a potential Pac-12 invite to Texas is closing due to the money disparities.  They'll still have the Big10 and the SEC as options in 6-7 years if and when conference realignment rears its ugly head again.  And sure, we should be worried about that if/when it comes because we're so small and (yada yada yada)...  But I'm not worried today.  I'll think about that tomorrow.

Angelo suggested on the surlyboard that the Big 12 and Pac12 should consider an alliance to pool their TV negotiations/leverage and to do a scheduling alliance.  That sounds like a great idea except for the fact that that's exactly what the SWC did with the Big8 and we all know how that turned out.  For that reason, I'm inclined not to do that and instead enjoy watching the Pac12 deal with their issues on their own and let the money disparity continue to grow.

No one is leaving the Big 12 to go to the Pac 12 unless UT and OU bolt for the B1G or SEC and the conference blows up so I don't think a scheduling alliance would morph into a Pac-16 where we get left out.  And, UT and OU do bolt for the B1G or SEC, I think the Pac will be very happy to grab 4 Central Time Zone teams and TCU would likely be one of them.