Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

Too early to start a 2018-19 Basketball thread?

With the Rapey Bears winning the WNC, Texas winning the NIT, and Tech possibly winning the MNC ... if only the Lady Frogs could have pulled the upset on the road against Zona, the Big XII-II could have gotten a clean sweep of the post season tournaments (not counting the CBI, I suppose) ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

Definitely rooting for the Sand Aggies tonight.  

A tceh victory is good for the conference, and given the events after their last victory, it just might incite the student body to burn Lubbock to the ground.

Win-win!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha  (+1) 1

Go 'Hoos!!!

I just can't find myself rooting for Tceh. Plus, I made the trek to the game with my UVA-grad father in law.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe Tech's trying to save their property from destruction?

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Maybe Tech's trying to save their property from destruction?

Note that they misspelled “cancellations” in the subject line of the memo.

That’s my alma mater...

• Haha  (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

Back to TCU news.  Maybe already out there, but heard that Noi is likely not returning.  Hopefully just a rumor.

Unless something else came up, I would count him gone. Wants to play in Europe ASAP (based on what I’ve seen/heard). But who knows if it’s true.

Regardless, he would definitely benefit staying another year. 

1 hour ago, SuperToad said:

Regardless, he would definitely benefit staying another year

I'm really ignorant about basketball in general and totally clueless about the European league. Is the play on par with the NBA or does it more closely resemble very good US college ball?

20 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm really ignorant about basketball in general and totally clueless about the European league. Is the play on par with the NBA or does it more closely resemble very good US college ball?

Form what I have seen I'd say very good US college ball

• Thanks (+1) 1

Bane also exploring his draft options.  I think it would be a huge mistake for him to leave.  I love the guy but he's not ready.  However, he may never be NBA ready.  He doesn't really have the handles to play in the NBA and I always thought he had really short arms for a guy his size as well.  My guess he eventually winds up in Europe or China and has a decent non-NBA pro career.  

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

😥😥😥😭

This doesn’t necessarily mean he’s gone. He’s going to put himself through the process to see where he measures up and get feedback. If they give him good feedback and project him to be drafted, then he will likely enter the draft. If he gets a less than favorable draft grade and advised he still needs work, I would imagine he would come back for his final year. But who knows.

He basically has until May 29th (10 days after the NBA combine) to withdraw his name.

• Thanks (+1) 2

16 hours ago, NeFrog in the Kitchen Sink said:

His defense needs more work- guys can get by him too easily.  And his ball handling skills are too erratic.  Another year will probably do  him good. 

But I'm biased...

Yeah there is no way Bane grades out as even a second round pick. Not this year at least. I’d bet money on him coming back 

40 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Yeah there is no way Bane grades out as even a second round pick. Not this year at least. I’d bet money on him coming back 

I don't know how to grade college players for the NBA, but he is definitely a great college player... 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Seeing as how Dedric Lawson from KU is considered by one ranking scale as the #46 player, I assume Bane is not going to get the grade.  His 3-point shooting could elevate him though.  In the new NBA where raining threes is the game, he could latch on.

Noi announces that he’s gone for good, even if he gets a bad grade.

Thats a big mistake on his part. He has a high ceiling, but it was never reached. He was the most inconsistent player in the team this year. He needed at least another year. I’m not even sure he’s ready for Euro ball. But if he’s that set on leaving, then best of luck.

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

Noi announces that he’s gone for good, even if he gets a bad grade.

Thats a big mistake on his part. He has a high ceiling, but it was never reached. He was the most inconsistent player in the team this year. He needed at least another year. I’m not even sure he’s ready for Euro ball. But if he’s that set on leaving, then best of luck.

What worries me - had Dixon lost the team?

1 hour ago, shenanigans said:

What worries me - had Dixon lost the team?

It definitely feels like it. Between the 4 transfers in 2 weeks to start the season, and then your 2 best returning players entering the draft. Doesn’t appear like a cohesive, well bonded unit.

So assuming Lat, Kendrick, Samuel, Nembhard and Barlow are returning, there's something to build on.  I suspect Bane will be back.  Talented freshman class coming in, but the lack of Juniors gives us good opportunity to add a few Junior transfers to the roster and promise the chance for immediate PT.  Will be interesting to see what Dixon does. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still suspect he will go after some JUCOs and/or senior transfers now.  He has no juniors for next year other than Ascheris.  Samuel, Nembhard and Mayen will all be in the third years with the program, though).  

Seniors- Bane (assuming he comes back, which looks likely)

Juniors- Ascheris (walk on to schollie)

Sophomores- Samuel, Nembhard, Mayen, Davis, Barlow, Kennedy (will sit out and be Soph in 2020-21)

Freshmen- Fuller, Farabello, Smith, Pearson

Point guards:

Davis 5-11

Farabello 6-1

Shooting Guards:

Bane 6-5

Nembhard 6-4

Fuller 6-4

Kennedy 6-4

Ascheris 6-1

Forwards:

Mayen 6-9