Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

Too early to start a 2018-19 Basketball thread?

The last big bubble game tonight is the PAC-12 CCG. Washington is a lock to get in, with Oregon in the First Four Out territory. Need a Huskies win to stay firmly in the mix. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

Yeah, Lunardi has moved us to the last team in and Oregon is one of the first 4 out - for them to grab the Pac 12 automatic bid might move us out.  We really really really need the Huskies to win this one.  Oregon currently leads 33-28 early 2nd...

Oregon is now blowing Washington out 54-35 (sigh).  We're in trouble...

On 3/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, Burner said:

Lipscomb is 25-7 but just lost their conference tournament and automatic tournament slot to Liberty, so they could be competing with us for an at-large berth.

Literally nothing went our way today. Which, honestly, is fitting for this season.

Yep. That 82% went to about 10% at best after today. Unreal. Eff this season.

Even after Oregon's win over Washington, Lunardi still has us in the field.  This feels like a coin toss, and what could ever go wrong leaving our fate in the hands of a selection committee?

• Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

When do they announce brackets?  tonight after the last championships or tomorrow?

Also do any of these predictors know how the new ranking system the committee uses is going to work or are they basing everything off the past systems?

disclaimer: I know just enough about March Madness to ask questions without really knowing what is a good question.

25 minutes ago, Endless Purple said:

When do they announce brackets?  tonight after the last championships or tomorrow?

Also do any of these predictors know how the new ranking system the committee uses is going to work or are they basing everything off the past systems?

disclaimer: I know just enough about March Madness to ask questions without really knowing what is a good question.

The selection show is at 5: 00 p.m. on CBS and ESPN will be breaking the brackets down all night.  No one "knows" a thing about what the committee will do - it's just all speculation (some informed; much not) at this stage.  I'm pessimistic... 

Good to know - 5 pm.  Wasn't expecting it to be on CBS, I may watch part of it.

As far as most things committee based, I just watch with little expectations in either direction.

Two years ago, the NIT felt like an exciting step forward.  Today, it feels like a bitter disappointment.

This team really struggled with a lack of warm bodies at the end of the year.  Would've been nice not to have so many players flat-out quit on their teammates halfway through the year.  

• Like (+1) 1

None of the bubble teams really deserved it. Quite frankly first four never really feels like the tourney. Prob a 50-50 chance you don’t even feel like you even made the tourney. Would still rather be in that position but a #1 NiIT seed with a chance to play several games has potential to be a positive. 

• Like (+1) 2

Play-in game win and get annihilated in the second game versus a deep run and maybe a banner in MSG?

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

Play-in game win and get annihilated in the second game versus a deep run and maybe a banner in MSG?

Yeah, not crying in my beer tonight, but I'm sure the boys are disappointed. Onward...GO FROGS!

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rothbardian said:

Will be cool to host Nebraska in the second round...

Remember David Lipscomb....

13 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Two years ago, the NIT felt like an exciting step forward.  Today, it feels like a bitter disappointment.

Which, in and of itself, is a sign of major progress in the program.  Just 4 short years ago, regular attendance at any post-season tournament seemed a goal too far to reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, here's the only bracket that matters now ... maybe a chance to avenge our loss to Lipscomb in the Final ...

The 2019 NIT bracket

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I do think needs analysis is how we were by far the team the pundits got most wrong on the bubble:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

We were in 167 of 180 final bracket guesses.

Other bubble teams:

Made it teams-

Florida- 174 brackets

Ohio State- 161

Arizona state- 145

Temple- 124

St john's- 117

Belmont- 53

Didn't make it-

TCU 167

NCst- 71

Indiana- 25

Clemson- 18

Texas- 13

Alabama- 9

UNC Greensboro- 8

Bubble teams all look somewhat alike, but the pundits really missed on us.  The other thing is that UNC greensboro was the first team out.  Between them and Belmont, it is clear that this committee valued the mid-major resumes more than the pundits.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Which, in and of itself, is a sign of major progress in the program.  Just 4 short years ago, regular attendance at any post-season tournament seemed a goal too far to reach.

Which, in and of itself, is an indication of me not expecting us to do well in this NIT.  Two years ago, we were really excited to just make the NIT and wanted to do well very badly.  Now, I expect the guys to be disappointed and not all that into it.  It'll be a challenge for Dixon to get us ready to play.

• Upvote (+1) 2