Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

Too early to start a 2018-19 Basketball thread?

I had a similar thought.  Not blame anyone, but at least have a serious look at the conditioning program to see if there is a correlation or not, and if changes can be made to improve the player health over the course of a season.  Maybe even just flexibility training or something being added into the normal routines.

15 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Why does anyone have to be held liable? Why must blame be placed on anyone or any part of the program(s)? Many aspects go into putting a football or basketball team on the field. It's a lot of injuries to accrue, sure, but put the pedal on the blame game.

At some point, you have to look for root cause.  When these problems start stacking up between multiple programs, we should look to see if it's more than a coincidence.

• Upvote (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, $mooth said:

At some point, you have to look for root cause.  When these problems start stacking up between multiple programs, we should look to see if it's more than a coincidence.

Looking for a correlation is one thing. Throwing out blame before researching the cause of the problem, if there even is one, is quite another.

19 hours ago, SuperToad said:

With Lat out for the year, that leaves just 7 of the original scholarship guys left on the team this year. 

Dixon said he has never seen anything like what is going on with this year's team in his entire basketball career. 

With the 40 injuries to scholarship players in football this year, Patterson also echoed that he has never seen anything like that in his entire coaching career.

At what point does the strength & conditioning and/or trainers get held liable for the insane number of injuries? We've always had above average numbers in injuries prior to this year as well.

I've wondered about our seemingly high rates of injury esp. those occurring in practice myself. Haven't run any comparative stats though.

I guess the first thing to know is whether TCU's injury rate is really worse across sports than other schools.  We are all hyper-sensitive to our injuries, but we don't really know how ours compares to everybody else's. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Didn't one of those S&P sites do some sort of injury analysis and predicted that the Frogs would have a worse record after the Tre' Boykin years due to injuries swinging back to the mean?

• Upvote (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Didn't one of those S&P sites do some sort of injury analysis and predicted that the Frogs would have a worse record after the Tre' Boykin years due to injuries swinging back to the mean?

We were crazy healthy for a few years there. Well at least in 2014. 2015 saw Doc, Kolby, and Tre go down. 

2014 is an outlier 

I'm more interested in finding a solution than blaming someone. Our training and medical staffs should do a review of every injury suffered this past season, to determine if there was any way the injury could have been prevented. Maybe the answer is no, it's just bad luck, but this still would be a worthwhile exercise. Starting with baseball last year, our  teams have been ruined by injuries.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The newest bracketology has the Frogs as a #10 seed, and still above the "last four byes" - meaning there are at least 8 teams between us and the current, theoretical cut-off.

That also came out on Monday, prior to the OSU game, so...

5 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

The newest bracketology has the Frogs as a #10 seed, and still above the "last four byes" - meaning there are at least 8 teams between us and the current, theoretical cut-off.

That also came out on Monday, prior to the OSU game, so...

Ugh. When does Noi come back 

2 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Ugh. When does Noi come back 

NIT?

New Bracketology out this morning - Frogs held firm as a #10 seed, even after the OU & OSU losses.  Projected first round matchup against Buffalo in Columbus - winner would get Kentucky.

Other notables in the new projection:

-Kansas, #3 seed

-Iowa State, #4 seed

-Tech, #4 seed

-K-State, #6 seed

-Baylor, #8 seed

-Texas, #9 seed

-Florida, #10 seed

-OU, #10 seed & one of the "last four byes"

-Bucknell, #16 seed

-Lipscomb, one of the "first four out"

• Thanks (+1) 2

Nice W yesterday!  To sweep Iowa State 2 straight years is impressive.  But we probably need 3 more W's to make the Dance.

Kouat was the spark we needed yesterday to get back on track. Fingers crossed everyone stays healthy from here on out.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea if these bracketologists take into consideration future schedules or not, but I am not liking the Frogs remaining games. Having to win in Austin to get to 8 conference wins??? Those blowouts to KSU and Tech earlier scare me and these teams have been hot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

New bubble watch from ESPN has a focus on the teams, like TCU, that have sub-.500 records in major conferences but that - at least for now - appear to be on the safe side of the bubble.

One intereresting snippet in general:

Now, it appears, the tournament at-large field might again be populated by five or more teams that lost more games than they won in their league seasons. From 1985 to 2017, we never saw an at-large pool with more than three such teams. If we do see five or more for the second tournament in a row, this will officially be a trend.

....and their assessment of the Frogs:

Both of TCU's Quad 1 wins this season have come against Iowa State, the latest being the Horned Frogs' 75-72 victory over the Cyclones in Fort Worth. Jamie Dixon's team is regarded as a probable No. 10 seed even though, in most years, a 6-8 record in conference play in late February would be an object of at least modest concern. After all, no team that's finished more than two games under .500 in major-conference play has earned an at-large bid since 1998. Then again, the Big 12 is doling out ugly conference records to more than one at-large hopeful in 2019, and TCU's NET ranking was a thoroughly respectable No. 41 before their most recent win against the Cyclones. The final conference record might not be pretty for the Frogs, but this team and its two Quad 1 wins are looking increasingly at home in the bracket.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we need 3 more W's - although 1 (or more) of them could be in the Big12 tourney.

22 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

I have no idea if these bracketologists take into consideration future schedules or not, but I am not liking the Frogs remaining games. Having to win in Austin to get to 8 conference wins??? Those blowouts to KSU and Tech earlier scare me and these teams have been hot.

I would feel more comfortable had the Frogs not lost those last games to the OK schools.

• Upvote (+1) 1